house & land package in Brisbane and GC

Guest ialienam

Guest ialienam

Hi,

I am from a Chinese background, but used to live in NZ for 10 yrs and have now been in Sydney about 4 yrs.

Am looking move to QLD next yr or so (as my parents always want to live there but they still live oversea). I know this forum is great for many newcomers, but I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about Asian community in GC (around Ormeau or Pacific Pines, because my parents can't speak English very well)

Anyway, this weekend I will be GC for a couple of days with a friend, will be there for a short break and also get to know around the area.

I have seen a few developers on line, for example, a house and land package with $400k-$450k... Is it too good to be true??

Any personal experience in those house & land package? Any room for negoation?

Also, how's the financial service indutry in Brisbane and GC, as I am looking to live between these two cities..

Thanks in advance guys.

Sunnybank in Brisbane would probably be the place to go , this is a lovely area with a high chinese population. There aremany house and land packages about, the prices you see tend to be for basic fittings, as you normally up-grade something this too makes the price go up. The price they give is good as a guide but it normally ends up a few thousand more by the time you have finished.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

I'm heavily involved with the building industry, so whatever they say for the house building price, allow 50% extra because it will be based on a Class S slab, which you'll be very lucky to get away with in Brisbane, usually Class H, even Class E depending on if you're in a black soil area (loads more concrete in other words). If your site slopes they'll have to level it, extra dollars, if they have to put retaining walls in, more dollars. If the site is filled to a depth greater than 0.3 to 0.4m (cleared with gravel on top, or a platform rising above the level of the site to allow for drainage ask if it's been laid in accordance with AS3798, and ask them to provide an Engineers Certificate otherwise you'll have to rip up all the fill under the footprint and get it recompacted.

PM me if you want to know more about what to look out for. I can be boring about it though.

Cheers

Guest ialienam

Thanks guys!

Ya, I will have a look of GC first this weekend...and will PM if I would have more questions after my trip

I have heard about Sunnybank, in fact I used to stay there for a couple of months many years ago..I don't realli see my folks stay here all the time, so if not strong Asian community wouldn't be a huge concern, as we used to stay in a small city in NZ before.

I think my budget is around $450k, do you guys think it's realistic in areas like Ormeau and Pacific Pines (or even Brisbane)? Realistic for a house & land package?

With those package, any good developers u guys would recommend? I had a look of a couple websites like Simonds and Metricon... I thought everything would be finalised before they started construct (all costs set in the contract?)

Have a look at BMW HOMES ,i have had a wander around a few of their new builds/show homes and they do use quality appliances, fittings etc , hence they arent the cheapest builders but you require less upgrades ! i would definately use these guys if i was having a new build.

Cal x

Guest ialienam

just came back from GC, I think at the moment it's very unlikely I would move to QLD in next 12 months.

For Ormeau, it's a great community but I don't think it's the right place for me...for now.

However, do you guys know much about those service apartments at Surfers Paradise?

Are they actually good? (I mean giving you decent returns and capital growth, I have heard mixed stories).

I had a look of the Hilton project (starting from $699k crazy!!!!!!)

I am still interested in QLD property market, but I now have looked areas like Varisty Lakes and Surfers Paradise... Any good suggestion?

I believe Southport and Surfers are earmarked for a spending spree from the council ! as they are the original ''places to be'' some parts are starting to look abit tatty , the goverment announced they were going to spend a fair few dollars doing the areas up , i guess buying in these areas before hand would give a good return when its all done.

Cal x

Archived