Decisions, Decisions - Opinions please re pools

Herbies

Been here for three months now and the time is here to search for a home, the rental is nice, but i need to nest!

We are in Lynbrook at the mo and are looking at properties in Narre Warren south and Berwick and have found a fair few fitting the criteria but we have one dilemma, pool or no pool (I know its a tough life!!!)

We'd like some of your helpful opinions on the subject please. Along the lines of;

Would we get the use out of it in this lovely wet weather?

Are they costly to run?

Are they easy to maintain?

Pros and cons of having a pool.

Any views most welcome, thanking you in advance.

Trudes :winkxmas:

I do not think that they are worth it in Melbourne mainly because of our weather, we used to have a pool when our children were young, however once they grew older they would just dip in it and then it was time for no pool.

I have friends who have just spent $200,000 plus on a pool but he uses it every day and loves his pool. Its a self cleaning one so not much for them to do and it should be looking after itself for the price. Better if it was inside though.

In my opinion a spa is a better investment if you just want to cool off on hot days and use it in the winter.

Remember if you buy a property with a pool and there is no pool fence the costs of putting one in will be yours immediately after you settle.

With water restrictions pools are supposed to be filled with a bucket as well.

Cant speak for Melbourne but from a Brisbane point of view ,i wouldnt be without one now. They done cost loads to maintain and once you understand how they work ,what chemical does what job etc you will be fine. The solar blankets you can buy do keep the water warm meaning you can swim when its not scorching outside.

Cal x

Guest snow white

same here, we had a rental for 9 months with a pool and then bought a house on goldcoast one thing we made sure of was a pool. we use it loads even in the colder months the kids dont seem to mind and jump in quite happily, they dont cost a fortune too maintain but do offer endless hours of peace for me when the kids are in it lol

lesley

Cant say that I would want to be bothered with one and my DH appreciates the garden for growing vegies. When our kids were small there was a pool with a decent length just down the road but they tended not to bother - one was a serious swimmer so swimming wasnt entertainment it was work. Many of my friends have either moved away from their house with pool or filled in the pool over the years. Flying over cities I see far fewer pools than I used to and I dont really think that Melbourne really warrants one, the season is too short.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Trudy

The agents advised us against a house with a pool as they said they actually de value the house as the Ozzies in Melbourne don't want to be bothered with the up keep etc You've been in our house, as you know it was an ex display, our neighbours have the pool, they were the first to buy and had a choice of our house with the home theatre or their house with a pool, they opted for the pool and have always regretted it. Like Sue says we don't really have the weather in Melbourne to get the full use of a pool and the cost of running them is quite high. Personally I would be looking at a hot tub or maybe even one of the swim spas.

Good luck with the house hunting.

Ps Can you pm me the link you sent the email about the other day, when I have time I will email you the photos we took, you may have to wait a while though lol:)

Guest snow white

yes a bit like us the other way around lol we are the only ones in the street with the pool and all the kids friends seem to be here all weekend , the only thing that drives me mad is all the wet towels left all around for me to pick up the other downside to pools

lesley x

Our rental has a pool, and we have only used it a handful of times this year. To be honest we have said that when we buy we are now not fussed about having a pool and would rather have a spa, mainly due to the up keep and the amount of times that we have used it!!....Having said that many friends have said that this really is the worst summer so far in years. Infact this time last year we were going down the beach etc nearly every weekend/after schhool....this year is not the same!!

Deb xx

We had a large above ground pool and we too had all the children from around about in it. OH spent hours cleaning the thing. Fortunately when we designed our house we put in an outside toilet so that people do not have to come traipsing into the house when we have people over. This worked well with the kids at the time.

When boredom set in as the children grew, we just took the pool down and sold it on for someone else to spend lots of their time cleaning. Problem is cannot do that with an inground one. :notworthy::emoticon-signxmas:

Archived