Schools in North Lakes / Redcliffe

Guest SHEILA 1984

Guest SHEILA 1984

Hi my family are looking to make the move from NZ to Brisbane, with hubby having job in CBD. Just looking at locating in North Lakes/Redcliffe area but would welcome some advise on schools and the location. We live in a beautiful part of NZ but have just found the weather and cost of living toooo hard after 5 years. Kids are 11, 9, 7 and 4 and at Catholic School here, any advise would be great - good or bad!

Thanks Sarah

Guest HappyBunny

Hi Sarah, there are some good schools on the peninsula but I can't comment on the Catholic ones. The following websites should give you some info and hopefully someone will come along with personal experience.

State Schools

Schools : Queensland Government

Select the schools directory and select 'Sunshine Coast South' (which covers the Redcliffe Peninsula) for Education District which will bring up a list of schools in the area, their contact details and their website addresses. You can also access a location map if you are unsure whereabouts they are.

Non-State Schools

Australian Schools and The Private Schools Directory - The trusted online guide to all Australian Private Schools

Hope this helps a bit. x

Hi there,

Can only speak for North Lakes state college which is where my 3 kids go. I am very pleased with it, different to what I was used to in the UK, but the work is challenging enough & the kids have all settled well. Good Luck.:smilexmas:

Guest SHEILA 1984

Thanks - I saw you only joined in Aug 08, are you new to Oz from the UK? We have done 5 years in NZ but are finding the finances tough with 4 kids. We holidayed in Bris a few times to research areas and found North Lakes to suit us with Redcliffe for my kids to continue competitve swimming - what's North Lakes like to live?

Thanks - I saw you only joined in Aug 08, are you new to Oz from the UK? We have done 5 years in NZ but are finding the finances tough with 4 kids. We holidayed in Bris a few times to research areas and found North Lakes to suit us with Redcliffe for my kids to continue competitve swimming - what's North Lakes like to live?

Hi,

Yes, moved over in July 08. We think its pretty pricey here too but on a perm visa you get govt help through Centrelink if elligible. Its like child benefit so might be quite useful with 4 kids. And with interest rates falling, mortgaes are cheaper.

Personally we like North Lakes. The school and 'newness' of everything were the main factors. Most people are friendly, lots of poms, south africans, kiwis, & Aussies from other states live here. Plus its in a good spot. The city, sunshine coast, bribie island etc all not far away.

Good luck!:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest donovan

Hiya I have relocated a few families to North Lakes area, if any one needs any help in finding a rental please feel free to pm me

Sarah x

Guest SHEILA 1984

Not sure we will qualify but will look into it - we are GBR and NZ citizens and planned on coming in on NZ passport but will have to investigate as all will help. What age are your children please, mine are 11, 9, 7 and 4 so covering most classrooms! =)

Hi Sheila

We're from Timaru, NZ and looking at relocating to Brisbane or Hervey Bay. The drop in house prices here has stalled us for the moment, but we went over and had a good look in June.

Redcliffe is lovely - older houses, more beachside lifestyle and Scarbrough is even better but more pricey. Without traffic it's a short journey to town, but be prepared for a commute of 30 mins or more in rush hour. North Lakes has a great shopping centre and schools, lots of new estates and it can be pricey in places, but be aware that there is zoning is this area so you need to look at schools before deciding where to live. We liked the look of North Lakes College which is an all age primary - secondary school, but there are good schools on the Redcliffe Peninsula and there's bound to be Catholic schools if that's what you want.

Check out realestate.co.au and domain.com to find what you can get for your price.

By the way, although you can't get unemployment benefit for 2 years you are eligible for Centrelink family payments which you should register for as soon as you arrive and there is apparently rent rebates and such available based on income, while needed.

I think the cost of living over all is similar to NZ, but the wages in the main centres are higher, and of course it's actually warm enough to go in the sea for most of they year. :jiggy:

Guest SHEILA 1984

Great thanks to you both, will email the school to find out catchment - if it has a good swimming programme to this will be a bonus =) My eldest just came 3rd in Auckland last weekend so if he can join others in the school programme will be great. Cheers =)

• 3 months later...
Guest julesaaron
Not sure we will qualify but will look into it - we are GBR and NZ citizens and planned on coming in on NZ passport but will have to investigate as all will help. What age are your children please, mine are 11, 9, 7 and 4 so covering most classrooms! =)

Hiya

Have you made the move yet? How did it go using ur nz passports? Where in NZ were you?

I am a brit in nz for the time being looking at making the leap across the ditch in few years maybe...

Im hearing more and more good things about the lakes and more not so nice things on the areas i like the look of eg morayfield.

Whats the Lakes area like for trucking work?

J x

Guest SHEILA 1984

Hi

We head out of NZ on 26th April, unfortunately missing the first week of the new term. My husband is doing the home / school research in 2 weeks as we have a short list but need gut feelings too. I'm going to work at Redcliffe High Performance Sports Centre as I was a competitor and fortunately my experience goes far in Oz! We are still torn for the area's to live but will keep you posted, where in NZ are you now? We are in Whangaparaoa so moving to another penisula should be good! =)

Guest julesaaron

Hiya

We are in Christchurch...theres is a lot of conflicting suggestions as to areas and school eh makes your head spin.

By the time we head that way my son will be just starting school and my eldest will be looking for like a uni or something...so if anybody also has any info on these sort of places, as of the moment she wants to be a kindy teacher so would be looking into an ECE course....

J x

• 4 months later...

My son goes to Grace as well, the facilities are excellent there and the general atmosphere is really good too.

We went to his first parent's evening recently and we must have looked a little lost. A gang of girls (around 15 years old, I guess) politely approached us and offered to help take us to the block we needed to be in...I thought that was a lovely thing to do.

Sue x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ange and Mark

Hi

Yes please - we get to Brisbane early October and are looking for rental in Redcliffe/Rothwell areas - 4 beds, outside space, pref modern and must be allowed to have a dog there. Any help much appreciated as will need to register our 12 year old at a school as soon as we get there. Will be in Sydney from end of August for a month so easier to communicate then.

Cheers, Angela x

Guest Sarolta

Hi Everyone,

Regarding the schools in the area: Redcliffe can be a little rough at times, if you wanted the seaside, Scarborough is the best place to live in. In the Redcliffe peninsula the state schools are not so good, so I would opt for private . There is a catholic school - private- in Scarborough. Check out Scarborough state as well, see what you think.

North Lakes is better for state schools and generally quieter to live at; no disturbances at all. Lots of Brits. There is a brand new school at Bounty Bulevard, quite nice and small at the moment, but there is an established North Lakes State College with 3000 puils - a bit on the big side.

Cheers,

Sarolta

• 1 month later...

Hi all, we may relocate from melb to redcliffe, very nervous as I no nothing about the area. We have two daughters 9 & 11, my main concern is choosing the right school, like the look of Scarborough, my 11 yo is state competitive level for swimming and surf life saving, If anyone can tell me anything I would love that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tassiedevil59

Hi

We moved from Scotland to Tasmania 2 years ago and moved to Brisbane in January this year , we have just bought a house in North Lakes (Possum parade )North lakes is great area for schools , shops and plenty social life

cannot reccomend enough and we mix with Scots , Kiwis , English and Aussies ,

I am sure you will enjoy as Redcliffe beach is 15 minutes away from NL.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

We are moving to North lakes at the start of January from Melbourne. The area looks great and very close to Redcliffe beach. Does anyone know what north lakes college is like? We have just got a rental in the catchment zone.

Thanks Jill

Archived