We're finally in Canberra!!!!

Guest sarahnshaun

Guest sarahnshaun

Hi everyone,

We have finally made it to Canberra! We arrived last weekend and have spent the last few days sorting out the trivial things such as tax numbers etc. Can honestly say we have been impressed with Canberra so far! Staying for the next 3 weeks in Kingston although we have our eyes on a property to rent in Fraser.

Looking forward to meeting up with people in the near future to say hi and thanks for all your help in the last couple of months.

If anyone has any hesitations about Canberra - don't - from what we have found out, it's a lovely place with a lot going for it!

Sarah and Shaun

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi there!

Glad to hear you've arrived safe and sound and that you are very impressed so far!

Wishing you Lots of Luck!!!

Regards,

Dan xx

Guest sarahnshaun

hi guys,

Thanks for all your messages!

We've got our fingers crossed as we are viewing a place to live today. We have had our eye on it since we were in the uk so hopefully we will get it.

Things are going well....a little too well really, we're just waiting now for things to come undone! I know, a little bit of british pessimism eh! :smile:

Good luck to those who are looking to move over soon!

Sarah

xxx

Guest Tucker SJM

Hi and welcome to Canberra.

My husband and I moved to Canberra almost 8 months ago and also love it, I can't see why it is critised all the tome. So many facilities and activities to do, plus it is very well kept here. We have been in Australia now for 2 years and love it.

If you are trying to rent here I wish you a lot of luck. It took us 6 weeks to find somewhere (ok we have a dog so a bit harder) as there are a shortage of rental properties. When you turn up to an open home they have other people there completing and submitting their applications on the spot. I really hope you get the one you have set your heart on. Rental can be quite expensive but still a fantastic place to live, we are on the north side of Canberra and love it.

Hope you enjoy it here, welcome once again.

Thank you Sarah and Shaun for keeping us updated about your move. We have recently been granted our visa's and whilst excited, we have also started to question what we are doing. Having never been to Canberra, threads like yours are very useful/reassuring!!

Hope all goes well with the house:jiggy:

Penny

Guest Cathy D

Hi , I was glad to read your info on Canberra . I will be moving there at the end Dec with Husband , 2 kids and eventually dog . Stressed out , house is sale agreed , have visa. Ready to go . Have you had much chance to look around areas to live . Does anyone have any suggestions re good schools?

Sorting the dog is a nightmare.

Cathy

Guest AnnChovy

There are lots of good schools in Canberra- do you have any particular criteria?

This is the one most people mentioned to me as having one of the best reputations if you are looking for prestige, facilities and a fairly British style (cricket on the oval, blazers, etc). Comes at a price though!

Canberra Grammar School - Home

But it all depends on your definition of a good school. We are delighted with the local school, which looks less impressive, has fewer facilities, is less strict, secular, more socially diverse, bigger and totally free of charge (depending on your visa status).

What are you looking for in a school?

There are lots of good schools in Canberra- do you have any particular criteria?

This is the one most people mentioned to me as having one of the best reputations if you are looking for prestige, facilities and a fairly British style (cricket on the oval, blazers, etc). Comes at a price though!

Canberra Grammar School - Home

But it all depends on your definition of a good school. We are delighted with the local school, which looks less impressive, has fewer facilities, is less strict, secular, more socially diverse, bigger and totally free of charge (depending on your visa status).

What are you looking for in a school?

Hiya,

What is the name of your local sch?

Regards

Penny

Guest sarahnshaun

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would give you a quick update on how we are getting on - we got the house we wanted in Fraser and have collected the keys this weekend. I have also managed to get a job and start on Monday! Shaun has also got a car that he wanted. We feel as though we have been extremely lucky with all three to happen so fast! The car and the house are definitely better than we could of afforded back in the UK!

We're just in the process now of buying stuff from allclassifieds.com. Definitely recommend that site if you are having to start over again like us. You can pick up some real bargains from there.

Good luck to all those moving out here in the near future. It seems as though more and more brits are moving to Canberra - I hope the next meet up can hold us all!!!

I can certainly say that for anyone who has never been to Canberra that we have not regretted our move for a minute.

Sarah

x

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would give you a quick update on how we are getting on - we got the house we wanted in Fraser and have collected the keys this weekend. I have also managed to get a job and start on Monday! Shaun has also got a car that he wanted. We feel as though we have been extremely lucky with all three to happen so fast! The car and the house are definitely better than we could of afforded back in the UK!

We're just in the process now of buying stuff from allclassifieds.com. Definitely recommend that site if you are having to start over again like us. You can pick up some real bargains from there.

Good luck to all those moving out here in the near future. It seems as though more and more brits are moving to Canberra - I hope the next meet up can hold us all!!!

I can certainly say that for anyone who has never been to Canberra that we have not regretted our move for a minute.

Sarah

x

Hi Sarah!

Sounds like you're both getting on with your new lives just fine and having a fab time too!

Lots of Luck for the future...!!!

Regards,

Dan xx

Guest Cathy D

Thank you , for your thread , It is reasuring that we are on our way and doing the best thing ever . We also have a dog who is following us out , we will be there on new years day. New year , new life , new job , cant wait .

Great to hear that things are working out for you!

Dont forget to log on to Freecycle as well - the Canberra community is very conscious of freecycling and you can often pick up some very nice things that you may need.

Edited to add - arent you enjoying the weekend weather, it's absolutley brilliant to have the rain and we hope that it will fill the dams with its mega dumps!

Guest sarahnshaun

I would of thought that the rain would of filled the dams somewhat but according to the signs this morning, it was the same as Friday! Its weird how quickly you become accustomed to watching your water usage whereas in the UK you didn't even think about it! thanks for the tip about freecycle - I now have a membership pending!

Guest Chrissygirl

Hi,

my hubbie and I are moving to canberra on Feb 24th, will be looking for short term rental, to begin with and then more permanent, I really hope we can catch up because, we will need to make friends and hope that through these sites, will be able to. any help rgarding short term rentals would be appreciated, cos we dont want to rent holiday lets for too long. Thanks andhope we can meet up in Feb 09

Chrissy xxx

Hi

Well done you are there and just in time for christmas. We are also hopin to move to Canberra.

We have applied for 176 visa back in May and havent heard a thing since. Just wondering what visa you got there on.

Congrats again and best of luck with settleing in.

Love Tara

Guest Cathy D

Hi Tara , I am going on a 119 Visa with my family , good luck with yours . Will be in Canberra for 1 Jan 09 . Leaving from Belfast.

Cathy D

Guest aussie roy

:smile: As I have mentioned previously,I have lived in Oz for almost 43 years,initially in a Melbourne suburb then moved for my new job at the Royal Australian Mint to Canberra in December 1967 and I have lived here ever since. Contrary to what the folks of other states claim the ACT is a great place to bring up the children,education,health and recreation;of being the seat of government we often have to cop the flak for some of the decisions made on The Hill on our behalf. All my six went through the same primary and high schools,and four went through the local college,with one eventually going to the ANU. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for with regards to entertainment,while we may be lacking access to some of the big events there are plenty of venues including sports clubs which cater for families. I live in one of the most southerly suburbs and I am a member of three clubs with access to a total of eleven venues.

One of the advantages of Canberra is you are no more than ten minutes from the bush.

There are many ex-pats in the ACT,some move to QLD but many come back to what I consider is close to Camelot. :biggrin:

Archived