Do you think we are MAD?

THORPES

Well we have sold our house and moved out on 7th November. We are staying with my mum and step dad at the moment.

We had planned to move to OZ in January when the flight prices came down again.

We just want to go now and the kids are fed up at my mums. They have no friends there and we are getting up earlier to drive to work and school. OH has had to reduce hours so he can take us.

We are all living in my mums attic. Its a large room but we are all on top of eachother.

We have now decided (I think) to book flights for 30th November.:shocked:

Do you think we are MAD?

Ive read other posts how people plan the move for months. I may having a blonde moment but I just dont see what is to plan. Ive found flights, temp accomodation, car hire. I need to set up a bank account and transfer money. We are not shipping any furniture because we have got rid of it all.

We dont have much money to take but we are thinking if we arrive early December, we can look around schools before they close for summer, hopefully OH will get a job. He has already contacted 2 companies who have said they will help him when we arrive.

I think our minds are made up but is it this simple?

Thanks

Jill

xxx

Guest Hearne_Family

Hi Jill,

We too are living with my parents. All 4 of us staying in a double bedroom, and have been since May, fly to oz on 14th Feb 09. So can completly sympathise with your situation, slight tension would be an understatement!!! We had to move in with them from our rented house to save enough pennies to move to Oz.

I think as long as the sums add up then why wait!

Have a wonderful new life in Oz.

Rachel xx

Rachel (26) Terry (27) Violet (2) Arthur (1)

Guest guest17301

Get your asses to Oz and have a fantastic Crimbo down under. Nothing else to wait for and the Emirates prices are great at the moment/ on a par with Singapore Air but more availability. Go on...book it now, you know you want to:wink:

Life is only as hard as you want to make it jill .....so go for it girl !!!!

Check out emirates ,,,they have a seat sale on as long as you book before saturday ....may save you another few pounds ...oops sorry dollars lol ...all the best !!!

Mrs keily

id be very very wary of not having a job to go to there, do you have contingency money fi you are out of work for months on end? dont want to be a party pooper cos it sounds liek you are being realistic, and have done homework, but deffo get a job or two lined up, and make sure they know you are pommes, some bosses will love your cv but as soon as you open your mouth they can be prejudiced against you ( just what i have read on here)

IF you have contingency cash then yeah, go for it and i wish i was coming with you. we are still waiting on the company to sort out the visa, they havent even asked for anything yet *sigh*

that said i am looking forward to one last proper cold xmas with freinds and rellies. when im sick of them in new year - thats when i want to go LOL

Thanks everyone.

I have been on Emirates site but the prices seem very expensive. I will go back on to check again.

Thanks TJ for being honest. I know what you mean about jobs. OH has spoken on the phone to 2 companies and they know he is a pom. One said he has lots of poms working for him and that we are good workers.

We should have enough money to last a few months, but with what we have lost on the house and even staying here in UK for a few more months we still wouldnt have lots. We are already spending a fortune here eating out and entertaining the kids so we can have some space. My mum & step dad are not charging us anything but I feel guilty so have helped them out with a holiday and buying my step dad some walking equipment. They didnt want to accept but I made them.

Jill

xxx

Jill

xxx

id be very very wary of not having a job to go to there, do you have contingency money fi you are out of work for months on end? dont want to be a party pooper cos it sounds liek you are being realistic, and have done homework, but deffo get a job or two lined up, and make sure they know you are pommes, some bosses will love your cv but as soon as you open your mouth they can be prejudiced against you ( just what i have read on here)

IF you have contingency cash then yeah, go for it and i wish i was coming with you. we are still waiting on the company to sort out the visa, they havent even asked for anything yet *sigh*

that said i am looking forward to one last proper cold xmas with freinds and rellies. when im sick of them in new year - thats when i want to go LOL

i HAVE POSTED THOUGHTS LIKE YOURS IN THE PAST BUT HAVE NOW REALISED THAT MOST IF NOT ALL KNOW THIS ALREADY & WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT FOR THEM SELFS THE UPS & DOWNS. PLACEING DOUBT IN PEOPLES MINDS SPOILS IT FOR THEM BEFORE THEY HAVE EVEN GOT THERE. YOUR POST IS A EXTREAMLY HELPFULL ONE BUT LET THEM HAVE HAPPY THOUGHTS & MAY THEY STAY HAPPY FOR A LONG TIME GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.

i'd say bite the bullet and go... you could spend forever asking what if? as regards to securing a job everyone tells me different things... some say apply before you go others say wait til you get there ... only you can say bugger it what the hell and go!

whatever you decide keep us posted and all the very best of luck i only wish we were in the same position

Lisaxx

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Jill!

Like many others have said, why wait!!!

Go as soon as possible, I would!

Lots of Luck with whatever you do...!

Regards,

Dan xx

I'm with the majority! Go for it!! Whilst that fire is in your bellies,:cute: tell yourself "of course we'll get jobs", stay positive. Where in oz are you moving to? This country has grown so much in the past few years if your willing to work they'll be something for you:wink:

Ah! Your post brought a tear to my eye... I want to be in your position! If I were I know that I'd be on that plane quicker than you can say 'here we come!'. Looking at the flight prices they aren't any more expensive now than January... Go for it!!

Good luck, you'll be fine, stay positive and, most importantly, have fun!!

Zoe xx

Guest itskaren
Well we have sold our house and moved out on 7th November. We are staying with my mum and step dad at the moment.

We had planned to move to OZ in January when the flight prices came down again.

We just want to go now and the kids are fed up at my mums. They have no friends there and we are getting up earlier to drive to work and school. OH has had to reduce hours so he can take us.

We are all living in my mums attic. Its a large room but we are all on top of eachother.

We have now decided (I think) to book flights for 30th November.:shocked:

Do you think we are MAD?

Ive read other posts how people plan the move for months. I may having a blonde moment but I just dont see what is to plan. Ive found flights, temp accomodation, car hire. I need to set up a bank account and transfer money. We are not shipping any furniture because we have got rid of it all.

We dont have much money to take but we are thinking if we arrive early December, we can look around schools before they close for summer, hopefully OH will get a job. He has already contacted 2 companies who have said they will help him when we arrive.

I think our minds are made up but is it this simple?

Thanks

Jill

xxx

Hi Jill

We moved to Melbourne last year and landed on the 6th Dec. The kids had a lovely break before school so we had some nice family time. go for it.

good luck!

Guest nareyclan

Although my heart say go for it my heads say enjoy the holiday here and say your proper goodbyes. The New Year is just what it say on the tin. NEW and maybe the ideal time for a new beginning. Sorry to buck the trend.

You a very brave living with your folks as are the rests of the PIO members in a similar situation. I know neither I or OH could do it. Love our folks to bit but could not live with them for a long time, but if needs must I'm sure we would cope (JUST, lol)

Good luck which ever you decide to do.

Thanks again everyone.

I told my mum & step dad last night. I was worried what they would say but they said "go for it" (maybe they cant wait to see the back of us lol)

My step dad asked what we were waiting for and that you only live once. They sai they will be over before we know it. I am very close to them and will miss them like mad. I hope when they come, they will love it and hopefully move over permantely with us.

Jill

xxx

Hi Jill and Family,

Can fully sympathize with you. We moved out of our house on September 30th, and we had our flights booked for October 20th. Hubbie and I ending up staying with my mom and dad, and the kids ended up staying with my brother and his family. There wasn't enough room for all of us at my mom and dads.

We came over to Perth, with not enough money, had to beg, borrow and steal enough to get us here, as our house deal fell through, 3 days before closing.

Do I have any regrets... not really, yes it would have been nice to come over with more money for sure, but sometimes you just have to go on with life and strike whilst the iron is hot.

We did not have jobs to come to, luckily, we had a furnished rental to move into, which was a blessing. We have no furniture coming over, as we sold everything, as nothing electronic would have worked for us here anyways.

Well we have been here 3 weeks now in sunny Perth, yes it has been hard and yes there were lots of times we felt anxious, but it is all coming together now. Hubby starts work on Monday, he has doubled his income from what he was making in Canada, looks like I have a job starting next week as well.

So yes, you will sit here and wonder what the hell did we just do, but you know what, when things start coming together, you really don't remember the moments of anxiety.

My hubby and I were just sitting out in the back the other day and this was before he got the job, and both of us said, we will look back in a year, and laugh about the tuff times we went through.

My thought is if it doesn't kill ya, it will make you stronger. I truly believe our move to Oz, is the best thing we have done. We are living on a cash basis here, no credit cards, and yes it is hard, but it can be done. The weather is lovely, sure beats the snow I would be facing in Canada.

We haven't put the kids in school, we let them have an extended summer holiday. They can start in Feb.

Well good luck to you, I know that if we had stayed with my parents any longer, we would either be divorced or not talking to my parents. So leaving was definetly a good thing for us lol.

Best of Luck in your move down under.

Karen

Guest sarahjustwishing

Hello to all in the attic!!

I dont think your mad, it sounds just like something we would do! I think you should just go for it, you"ll probably get there and be more determined than ever to make it work, and at least you wont have the saga of not buying xmas pressies cause you cant ship them over! Go for it, and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Sarah

x

Guest rachntom

Go for it Jill no time like the present we move out of our house on the 3rd Dec wished now we would of booked a lot sooner we will be here till the 20th jan not looking forward to not having my own space even though we are staying with family we love, GO GIRL BOOK THOSE FLIGHTS NOW. Keep us posted how your geeting on xxx

Guest Guest9973

I think you have to be slightly mad to move here - in a good way.:goofy:

If you have the early things organised here such as temp accommodation I think you should come.

Waiting at Mum's until the New Year seems like torture to me.

We had to wait a few weeks at my Mum's and it was torture - I just wanted to get on with my new life in Oz!!

Good luck!!!:smile:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and wishes.

Well we have booked our flights. BUT, we have booked for 25th January.:shocked:

When the reality set in, we realised end of November was pushing it a bit. We have always been the last minute type of people but we thought we would do this properly. after all, it is a big move.

Now we have booked we feel very happy. We will spend one last christmas with the rellies, I have booked for us all to go and see Peter Pan pantomine in Manchester (my youngest loves pantomines), have booked youngests birthday party on 30th November and we are going to sort out a leaving party for us and also for our eldest son. He wants to go go karting so if anyone knows of places in Greater Manchester please let us know.

Thanks

Jill:wubclub:

xxx

Guest WARDStoOZ

Huge congrats on booking the flights Jill...!!!

I see what you're saying... I'd want to do everything properly too...!

Regards and Lots of Luck!!!

A very jealous Dan xx

i HAVE POSTED THOUGHTS LIKE YOURS IN THE PAST BUT HAVE NOW REALISED THAT MOST IF NOT ALL KNOW THIS ALREADY & WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT FOR THEM SELFS THE UPS & DOWNS. PLACEING DOUBT IN PEOPLES MINDS SPOILS IT FOR THEM BEFORE THEY HAVE EVEN GOT THERE. YOUR POST IS A EXTREAMLY HELPFULL ONE BUT LET THEM HAVE HAPPY THOUGHTS & MAY THEY STAY HAPPY FOR A LONG TIME GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.

please dont shout! wasnt saying dont go, you wont get a job, just saying if they had the contingency cash sorted then go for it, if not then maybe consider getting jobs sorted before they go out there and get stuck. as i said im still here in blighty so only offering an opinion. :unsure:

thorpes, im glad you have settled in your mind when to go, and that you have flights sorted out etc, now you have a date it must seem so much more real ( altho living with your folkes must be pretty real!) im looking at this as my last xmas in UK. so will treat it accordingly, do the best i can to have a great Xmas for the kids, and next year ( hopefully soon, next year) we will start our new life. have you got everyone webcams for xmas? i have, and will teach them all how to use them as well before we go so we can "see" them all whenever we want :) not the same as a real hug from your mum but the good has to outweigh the bad huh or we wouldnt all be jumping ship and moving to oz. have a great xmas and enjoy planning your getaway :cutexmas:

please dont shout! wasnt saying dont go, you wont get a job, just saying if they had the contingency cash sorted then go for it, if not then maybe consider getting jobs sorted before they go out there and get stuck. as i said im still here in blighty so only offering an opinion. :unsure:

thorpes, im glad you have settled in your mind when to go, and that you have flights sorted out etc, now you have a date it must seem so much more real ( altho living with your folkes must be pretty real!) im looking at this as my last xmas in UK. so will treat it accordingly, do the best i can to have a great Xmas for the kids, and next year ( hopefully soon, next year) we will start our new life. have you got everyone webcams for xmas? i have, and will teach them all how to use them as well before we go so we can "see" them all whenever we want :) not the same as a real hug from your mum but the good has to outweigh the bad huh or we wouldnt all be jumping ship and moving to oz. have a great xmas and enjoy planning your getaway :cutexmas:

sorry postiong in upper case says you are shouting did not know this till now sorry.

Archived