457 Visa

xTINKSx

Have been trawling through the threads as per usual and came across a question regarding actual visas - something that I hadnt thought about until now.

Im a little premature as im just about to apply online but can someone please tell me what happens after you get email confirmation that your visa has been granted on a 457. Do you physically have to have a paper visa attached to your passport and if so, where do you get it attached. Also what would be the date it starts from - the day you actually receive the visa, the day you get confirmation you've been approved or the day your start work??

Hope it makes sense.

xTinksx

Do you physically have to have a paper visa attached to your passport and if so, where do you get it attached.

You do need it physically attached at some point. Either before you travel (which is the easiest way) or once you arrived. You can do that here:

dima_visa_evid - Australian High Commission

Also what would be the date it starts from - the day you actually receive the visa, the day you get confirmation you've been approved or the day your start work??

Yoor Visa starts from the day it has been granted.

Our agent said that once we arrive in Sydney, we can take them to be evidenced (ie the visa put in). I think that your passport number is recorded on their system at the airport so they know you have the visa when you arrive.

It can all seem quite complicated cant it!

We received our visa confirmation via email - we printed these off and it was accepted at departure fm UK and arrival in Aussie by immigration. My OH travelled ahead of us by a few weeks so I was a bit nervous but had no problems at all. We then just headed off into the city to the visa department, got there nice and early so were top to the queue and it took 5 min to have the stickers put in our passports (but the person who got the 457 had to be there and all the kids too - my OH in this case). But you do have to do this quick soon after arrival (I think you have to do it within a month but not entirely sure).

Our agent said that once we arrive in Sydney, we can take them to be evidenced (ie the visa put in). I think that your passport number is recorded on their system at the airport so they know you have the visa when you arrive.

Hi Tinks, your process seems to have gone through really quickly, can I just ask what you do for a living and when you initially started the process. How did your medicals go and where did you go to get them, can I just go to my local hospital or is there approved places which you have to go to. Sorry for all the questions but it's all sooooo confusing.

lynne

Hi Tinks, your process seems to have gone through really quickly, can I just ask what you do for a living and when you initially started the process. How did your medicals go and where did you go to get them, can I just go to my local hospital or is there approved places which you have to go to. Sorry for all the questions but it's all sooooo confusing.

lynne

Hi Lynne - First of all - dont worry about asking questions - we have all been there - the visa paths are all very confusing. Thanks to PIO is makes all our journeys a lot easier and an awful lot less lonelier. Someone on here as either done it, seen it, read the book or got the t-shirt - so there is always someone who will come along who can answer your questions from personal experience - how ever silly you might feel they are.

So to your question - My OH is a Jeweller and as you can see from my signature we have only been officially on our road to a visa application for a relatively short time - although I have to admit our initial enquiries about visa options has been a lot lot longer. It does all depend on which visa you are going on - the best for us was a 457 Temporary Long Stay Visa which is an avenue for us to get permanent residency later on via ENSOL permanent visa. There are lots of options out there and you find the one that best suits your circumstances. Fortunately for us we found an employer willing to sponsor us so this is our way to go.

Regarding the medicals - we only had them done yesterday - I applied online for our visa last week and following downloading all the necessary documentation that they needed e.g., job offer, employers sponsorship numbers, cvs, qualificiations etc, we were then asked to get our medicals done. There is a list of panel doctors on the immigration website - www.immi.gov.au and I booked my medicals / xrays with my most local one. Medicals generally take about 3 weeks to be processed ( by post - must shorter if you do them via e-health) so hopefully we should hear whether we have a positive result and visa within about 3/4 weeks.

Once again, dont feel silly about asking questions - post away, theres always someone here to answer them.

Best of Luck.

xTinksx:wubclub:

thanks Tinks,

I have just sent all paperwork off so I guess I'll just have to be patient now, though it's not something i'm very good at, I just want everything done like yesterday :biglaugh:. I'll not put the champagne on ice just yet.

been browsing a lot of the forums and your'e right, the answer to most questions are their to be found for which I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be very grateful. It's nice to be able to share other's journey, all the ups and downs, highs and lows, and to know that it all comes together in the end.

thanks again for your advice. :jiggy:

Guest prettyinpink

We arrived on a 457 visa. We too had our visa grant number emailed to us, I would recommend that you print these off and keep in your hand luggage incase of any queries. However, that said, the visa grant number is attached to your passport number in the immigration computer system and when you pass through immigration and show your passports, it all pops up!

Once you have arrived in Oz, you then have 30 days to have your passport evidenced. This is where they actually stick your visa into your passport. You just go to your nearest immigration office (usually in the nearest major city to where you are), stand in line and then present your passport. The whole process taken 5 mins.......the queuing up can take much longer so take ipods, books, psps, mags......anything to pass the time.

Hope that clears that issue up for you.

We arrived on a 457 visa. We too had our visa grant number emailed to us, I would recommend that you print these off and keep in your hand luggage incase of any queries. However, that said, the visa grant number is attached to your passport number in the immigration computer system and when you pass through immigration and show your passports, it all pops up!

Once you have arrived in Oz, you then have 30 days to have your passport evidenced. This is where they actually stick your visa into your passport. You just go to your nearest immigration office (usually in the nearest major city to where you are), stand in line and then present your passport. The whole process taken 5 mins.......the queuing up can take much longer so take ipods, books, psps, mags......anything to pass the time.

Hope that clears that issue up for you.

Thanks for that - received, understood, over & out. lol

Archived