Police transfer / general feedback

Guest tonyc

G'day!

I am a policeman in the UK and am thinking of applying for a transfer to western Australia.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has transferred and what their views were on the job down under and life in general?

I'm a bit concerned about the way things seem to be going in the UK and as I have no ties here am wondering if Perth/western Oz might have a better future and be a better place to raise a family?

The only concern I have about leaving the UK is for my parents, if anything was tohappen to them while I was away it would be really hard to deal with the guilt. I'm sure others have faced a similar dilema so some feedback on this issue would be great.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Hi Tony

my Oh is a police officer here in the UK and we are off to WA and WAPOL in feb .Have you applied to WAPOL as yet because they are recruting at the moment you cant just transfer over there .Like you we have had the feeling of what if but at the end of the day we came to the conclution that this is our life and we have to do what we think is best for us and our kids .No one can tell you what to do for the best but whilst you are going through the application process you have loads of time to think about whats best and lets face it if you are lucky enough to get offered the job you can decide then .I think we have been given a great oppotunity as a family so lets go for it ....If we dont like it in Oz we can always return to the cold wet Uk .....I think not but you never know and lets face it its a day on a plane ......

Julia

Guest tracynben

hi there i have a friend whose hubby is in the police over here, and transferred a year ago from uk.

Personally for him he doesnt really like it. I think, but not 100% sure you have to take a country posting at some point within 5 years, and the wages are not as good either.

I wanted to be a police officer, but dont know if i want to join over here, BUT saying that there are many who do enjoy it too.

Its def a better lifestyle over here in general esp if you have kids, but it is very hard leaving family and friends behind.

Plus at perth is quite isolated, things run slower over here.

have a look on the WA police website, you can send them an email.

tracy xxxxxx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

I'm a Police Officer too with North Yorkshire and I am also thinking of applying to WA. Have you got anywhere yet with your research and if so what hav you found out? I understand that the process is quite laborious and how do you go abut doing all the tests/entrance exams etc?

I hope you go sorted,

Hazel

G'day!

I am a policeman in the UK and am thinking of applying for a transfer to western Australia.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has transferred and what their views were on the job down under and life in general?

I'm a bit concerned about the way things seem to be going in the UK and as I have no ties here am wondering if Perth/western Oz might have a better future and be a better place to raise a family?

The only concern I have about leaving the UK is for my parents, if anything was tohappen to them while I was away it would be really hard to deal with the guilt. I'm sure others have faced a similar dilema so some feedback on this issue would be great.

Thanks in advance

Tony

hello tony,empathise with you regarding parents, but ........you get a bigger nightstick to beat( the wrong ) people up with in oz,so go for it mate:yesxmas:,joking! parent concerns are what stopped me going for years,dads 70 now,had triple by pass,anuerism,you name it,so a big worry,but i was coming up 45 so had to do it, and like most peoples parents my dad wants whats best for me,so it helps that im going with his blessing.

Archived