Bank Account Query - Overdrawn in UK

Guest NickR

Hi,

I've been offered a job in Queensland which I'm considering but need to get my head around things. If you move to Oz, can you not have your salary paid into your bank account in the Uk?

The reason I ask is because my UK account is £1000 overdrawn. I won't be able to pay the £1000 off because of the costs associated with relocating and I don't think I'll be able to set up a new account in Oz if I owe my bank money in the UK!!!

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Guest prettyinpink

You can leave your UK account open, and open an Aus account when you get here. That's what we did. You can set up a transfer to have some of your Oz salary sent into your UK account. Might be worth having a chat to your UK bank and ask their advise.

You can leave your UK account open, and open an Aus account when you get here. That's what we did. You can set up a transfer to have some of your Oz salary sent into your UK account. Might be worth having a chat to your UK bank and ask their advise.

Cost you loads in charges cba $22 for an international transfer, my uk bank does not charge but others do .If overdrawn I would not advise contacting bank and tell them you are relocating,theyll have the money off you pronto

Mally

Guest prettyinpink
Cost you loads in charges cba $22 for an international transfer, my uk bank does not charge but others do .If overdrawn I would not advise contacting bank and tell them you are relocating,theyll have the money off you pronto

Mally

Sorry I didn't mean transfer through uk bank. I meant set up a transfer account with a company like XE.com for example.

I know Banks charge through the roof. Sorry, didn't make my first post clear. Thanks Yorkshirepom.

AFAIK no, no one is going to pay your Aussie salary into a UK bank. You will have to do the transfers yourself but it is going to cost you every time you do it although people do recommend Hifx or ozforex (I think) - someone will know for sure about the money transfer companies - and I dont think they cost nearly as much as a bank transfer (my bank charges about $25 a transfer from memory and I do it via internet banking)

Sorry I didn't mean transfer through uk bank. I meant set up a transfer account with a company like XE.com for example.

I know Banks charge through the roof. Sorry, didn't make my first post clear. Thanks Yorkshirepom.

No probs you can use hifx and the others but if I an correct the nice lady at hifx said you have to transfer a wedge from the uk etc, I might be wrong but these dudes are in it to make money so transferring $100 a month or so aint going to be profitable I would think

Mally

Thanks for advice guys, all taken onboard.

One thing i`m trying open a paypal account in uk with uk and hotmail address or summat. In oz open a oz paypal ac with yer oz bank and email then pay yourself from oz to uk gonna see if its any cheaper

Mally

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hels269

god i hope i dont have to clear my overdraft before i go

I was just going to open an oz one and leave the UK one as it is ? i didnt even think about clearing it there is just not way i can afford it. I would be able to if id sold my house but have decided to rent it out so now I have no funds to take with me really, just the shirt on my back !!

god i hope i dont have to clear my overdraft before i go

I was just going to open an oz one and leave the UK one as it is ? i didnt even think about clearing it there is just not way i can afford it. I would be able to if id sold my house but have decided to rent it out so now I have no funds to take with me really, just the shirt on my back !!

Watch it cos if you have assts theyll nab the rent money

Mallky

Guest hels269

oh in case anyone is interested in this...

my letting agent has filled me in on the tax thing regarding renting your house out.

see this linky

HM Revenue & Customs: The Non-resident Landlords Scheme

i dont really get it but he tells me that unless im making a profit on the rent then i dont need to pay tax as long as I apply for this approval number..this can take 2 weeks.

i will be sending money back to the UK monthly so hopfully the overdraft will slowly but surely decrease

Helen

Archived