agent fees ?advice needed

Guest kelly

Hi.

we have a meeting with the emigration group, has anyone used these. could anyone give us an idea of how much they were charged by any other agent. the emigration group charge £1995 for full application processing, that does not include prperation of skills assesment, and if successful they want £895 success/completion fee.

we were prepared that it would cost quite a bit but reading past posts this looks a bit more than what other people have payed.

any help/info or recomendations will be very helpfull please.

thanks

kelly :shock:

Hi Kelly

This sounds quite expensive to me. We are family of 2 adults and 3 kids, 17, 13, 11. Passed our skills asseement last week.

We have an agent their fee is £2100 including vat, this includes them doing the skills assessment, visa application and all other bits including paying for certification of documents at local solicitors.

Extras to be paid for; assessment fee payable to those in Oz checking your skills, visa, medicals and police check.

Hope this helps

Kaye :)

hi kaye.

thanks for your reply, congratulations on your tra being passed, one hurdle sorted eh!

that was very helpful thank you, i did think it was a bit expensive, they are a large company and thought they would they would be best, maybe not, will go to meeting as we have payed £200 for it and get any info they have but will think about using them twice now, do you mind me asking who you are using, would rather go with a company that is recomended.

good luck with the rest of your application, thanks again

kelly :)

Hi kelly

Funnily enough The Emigration Group was our first choice of agent after seeing them advertised around quite a bit but for some reason we changed our minds not sure why we never started the process with them though so never looked at prices. We do get the occassional letter from them.

Can you not get your money back? We were quoted £40 or £50 (memory not that good OH says £40) for our meeting with our now agent free if we signed to them.

We must have spent over 2 hours in the office discussing everything about Australian life he was an ozzy from nsw certainly knew his stuff about the proceedure. We did initially ring them and they rang us back free 20 min consultation on phone advising us of best route I believe this is common practice with most agents.

We know a few people who have used them and all have their visas now so fingers crossed for us.

We are using Overseas Emigration the one we are using is in Edinburgh but there are other offices.

http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/

Its a really good website even if you dont use them.

They have been fantastic so far answering all our emails within a day. Never got funny if you ask the simplest of questions even though they must have heard them hundreds of times.

Anyway good luck with whoever you choose

best wishes

Kaye :)

Guest luckyhorse

Hi kelly,

Personally I would think twice about using an agent at all. The forms provided by the DIMIA really aren't terribly challenging and the factsheets are generally fairly comprehensive. Are you or hubby on the Occupation in demand list ? If so, it proves easier than you might expect.

Forums such as this one are a massive help (and don't come with a $2000 price tag)

When I first arrived in Australia (as a tourist) I consulted an emigration agent. He told me I'd have to sit an English test (I suspect he command a fee for setting the test up). This I found hilarious given that firstly I AM english and educated to degree level IN ENGLISH. The other thing he told me was that I shouldn't bother trying to get a hospital to sponsor me (I'm a registered nurse ) as this was an extremely long and complicated procedure and I should use his services. It all sounded very suspect, so I researched a little further...

Sure enough I was offered a post immediately by a city hospital who had a temporary visa organised for me within 4 weeks. Then approximately two months later I applied for PR (again sponsored through the hospital) and it took a total of six weeks start to finish before I had PR stamped in my passport.

I'm not saying its always that easy. It was more difficult for my partner (a pilot) and we had to live in a rural area for a while as he could only gain PR through regional sponsorship. But again we managed the process ourselves.

If your case is particularly complex you may benefit from an agent. The important thing to remember is that you have to meet the requirements of DIMIA no matter what, and even the best agent in the world can't change these.

Best of luck,

Lou

Hi Kelly

We are using Ian Harrop and their charges are £1395 ex vat.

We paid $250 for skill assessment with engineers australia

and $2000 approx for visa application,

we also paid a local solicitor for certifying copies, about £3.00 each, and

police checks £10 each, now just our medicals to pay for about another £800 - £1000 i think - we're shopping around at the moment for them.

Dont know how much it all adds up to, I'm to scared to look :(

Hopefully it will be all worth it :D:D

Hope this helps

Sam

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

I confess I have not read the whole thread. It is very late and I must get to bed.

I am not a migration agent but I am a service-provider in a different field. ££2000 to an "expert" for having a bash and another £1000 if they succeed sounds like nonsense to me. If I tried that, my clients would retort, "You're supposed to be an expert, aren't you? Therefore I'm entitled to assume that I will succeed if I use you. Ergo what's with this 30& bonus? Strewth & stroll on!"

Cheers

Gill

Guest luckyhorse

hi kelly

I've just had a look at some of your previous posts and i see that your hubby is a carpenter. that is on the occuptaion in demand list. put MODL into google to find it . either ASCO 4411-11 for joiner or 4411-13 for carpenter. Then use DIMIA to look at labour agreements or skilled migration.

I'm not saying DON'T get an agent, but i do suggest that you do some reading on the net and download the application forms just to have a look. I think you'll agree that paying 2000 GBP or more for someone to fill in your name, address and family details is extremely steep when you see how straight forward they are.

What gets my goat is that there are a few agents out there who like to shroud the process with generous amounts of mystery, when in actual fact they have to complete exactly the same forms as you would on your own. You will have to retrieve the information yourself anyway (eg. dates and places of employment) for the agent fill in the forms, so why not do it yourself and save the cash?

2000 quid goes a long way when you convert it into aussie dollars and relocating is never cheap especially when its to the other side of the world.

If you get stuck halfway through the process a reputable agent would still be happy to step in.

Good luck

thanks guys

i thought that sounded a bit dodgy. i also wondered why i would have to pay a success fee when we would be paying them to be successful in the first place. the reason we looked at them in the first place is because they are everywhere with great big ads so thought they must be good. not any longer!

thanks for your help lou, i will print off all the forms and have a look myself, the thought of all those forms terrifies me but i will give it a go, hope your all on standby when i need your help :?

thanks again everyone

kelly :D

If I may say so, your comments are a gross over simplification of what is involved in the preparation of skills assessment and visa applications - agents often can (and do) add a great deal to the migration process.

Best regards.

hi kelly

<snip>

I think you'll agree that paying 2000 GBP or more for someone to fill in your name, address and family details is extremely steep when you see how straight forward they are.

What gets my goat is that there are a few agents out there who like to shroud the process with generous amounts of mystery, when in actual fact they have to complete exactly the same forms as you would on your own. You will have to retrieve the information yourself anyway (eg. dates and places of employment) for the agent fill in the forms, so why not do it yourself and save the cash?

<snip>

Kelly,

Big ads have to be paid for - usually by the clients of the business.

My view (for what it is worth - and I have sat both sides of the fence, because I used a registered migration agent when we migrated to Australia several years ago) is that for a life changing decision that will quite probably throw your life into turmoil for the next year or so you want to get it right first time. You don't want nasty surprises. And you want the comfort of having people you can call upon who have been through the same process before.

For some the discussion forums are the answer, particularly if they aren't phased by form filling, spending time investigating what is required, and dealing with Government bureaucracies in a foreign land.

Others are happy to pay a fee to see the worries taken away (to a greater or lesser extent), and to be led through the process on a step by step basis.

Only you and your partner can make that decision. Have a look at the forms. Do some initial investigation into what is required. Maybe contact a few more migration agents. And then go with your gut feeling as to what is right for you.

Good luck!

thanks guys

i thought that sounded a bit dodgy. i also wondered why i would have to pay a success fee when we would be paying them to be successful in the first place. the reason we looked at them in the first place is because they are everywhere with great big ads so thought they must be good. not any longer!

thanks for your help lou, i will print off all the forms and have a look myself, the thought of all those forms terrifies me but i will give it a go, hope your all on standby when i need your help :?

thanks again everyone

kelly :D

thanks for all your comments, its all been taken on board, i dont know about the other womwn out there with husbands of trade but mine is leaving all the form work to me and wether or nor to use an agent or do it ourselves is being left to me to decide, form filling and decision making is not his strong point. i just want to do this the right way and finding it all very confusing.

i have printed off the application form and the tra forms and will read through properly tonight (when hubby is out at the pub) when its quiet.

was wondering though as a carpenter he is on the occupations in demand list. as we are only applying on his credentials does it make it that much simpler? have had a look through the tra form and it seems quite self explanatary, we have all his certificates already but im guessing the last bit ie relavant work experience is the bit that takes time, how much detail do you have to go into, do we really have to list every aspect of hanging a door, laying decking, building wardrobes etc etc. any advice would be really helpful,

all your advice is really helping thank you

kelly

Guest Ian&Lou

Hi Kelly,

We are applying for a 136 visa (independant skilled). We have decided to use Visa Bureau following some really good feedback from people on here who have used them.

They are charging us £1800 plus VAT but have advised to put aside £3500 for the hole process including med fees etc. So far I cant fault them, they have phoned us quite a few times (and we really are at the very early stages). They also offer a money back guarantee if, after they have initally looked at all your info, they do not think you will be successful.

Really as everyone else says the choice really does come down to you, for us it was a case of already having so much to do and wanting to make sure it was all done right.

Good luck!

Lou

Guest Gollywobbler

First you fork out and then they say whether they think you will succeed?

This is a funny way to do business, if I may say so....

Cheers

Gill

Guest Hayley370

I have to agree with everything Alan has said. Only you can make that decision. i think the biggy is getting the TRA app spot on, because i think I am right in saying if you are missing info e.t.c. they will charge you again to look at it. I would imagine this could get expensive.

I would say though if you are meticulous in completing forms and organising and also enjoy the challenge, I would say you could do it! If I had my time again I would have done it myself. In our journey, I did everthing, hubby thought it was great, but he's crap at that sort of thing. I do think that if you are of the right mind set and are good at that sort of thing it is certainly possible, just depends to you whether it's worth it. Most people find it really stressful, is (2000 pounds) a figure you would pay to alleviate a lot of stress? Note the 2000 is just an example!

As an aside, our fees are structured according to a client's circumstances.

For example, TRA visa applicant, no formal apprenticeship, married couple or single applicant - our total fee is £1,365 plus VAT. Add TRA fee of A$300, plus DIMA visa application charge of - presently (increase almost certain from 01/07/2007) - A$1,990.

Add medicals, plus police checks, plus cost of couriers/postage.

Best regards.

We are an education agent and as we are contracted to institutions (after vetting) we are paid by them and not the client. Am sure Alan on this thread is fine, but in Central Europe and from UK we hear a lot of complaints about migration agants, including MARA.

Taking fees from clients then telling them their only avenue is study and recommending inappropriate programmes (not understanding study pathway system etc.), lack of in depth Oz living knowledge especially concerning regions, professions, trades etc., and according to Oz Embassies in Central Europe too many taking fees and guarantees of PR, or conversely, not interested in the client unless they are pretty certain of getting them through PR :(

We know e.g. Hungarians generally do their own applications for TRA and PR with assistance from friends, DIMA website etc. but if an application is a bit complex then a (good) agent is worthwhile.

Cheers Andrew

http://www.aiec.biz

Guest luckyhorse

Alan,

My apologies if I have caused offence and can I just say that i am extremely grateful for the advice that you have given me on this particular forum in a different thread. However, I can only comment on my personal migration experience, which was incredibly easy and painless from start to finish. I still think that had i have paid in excess of 2000 quid for the completion of my own application I would have been incredibly peeved since it was so straight forward.

My partners migration was not so easy and whilst an agent may have proven useful in pre-empting some of the steps required we still mangaed the procedure and with no delay.

A simple analogy... If I wanted a cheese and pickle sandwich I would make it myself at home, however if it was a twice baked goats cheese souffle with a polenta crust made from a recipe written in Italian I'd probably want it made by a professional chef.

There's no financial interest for me in chatting on these forums but the personal support and sensible advice I have received from others sharing their stories has been an enormous help, and I hope I can return the favour to other folk in a tizz.

(Hopefully) no hard feelings,

Louise

Guest FiremanMart

Hi Kelly,

These fee's really do sound expenssive to me.

We are using a company called Access Migration Services Ltd. They charged us a total of £1169.12 inclusive of VAT AND offer a no Visa no fee guarantee. I took the view that if they offer a guarantee then they have to:

a) be confident of your chances of success

b) put the effort in to ensure you get it !

We obviously had to pay for the TRA application and the main Skills Visa application as well but the cost of this is payed directly to the TRA & DIMA respectively.

Having said all that, next time (not that we plan to) I would not use an agent as I feel that i did most of the work my self anyway.

In addition, look out for the small tricks that cost you. Our agent offered a 'certified copy' service using thier own Solicitor at around £125. I went up our High Street to the local Solicitor and got all my documents certified for £2 each - a total cost of about £30...

Anyway, good luck to you and yours...

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Fireman

A very good point you have made. Money for adminstering Oaths and certifying documents does not go through the firm's books. It doesn't have to because being able to do either attaches to the fact that the solicitor holds a current practising certificate, not because he/she works for a particular firm. So this cash-in-hand stuff is beer-money.

£125 of that would enable both the solicitor and the agent to go on a beer bender together, wouldn't it?!

Cheers

Gill

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE, IT REALLY DID HELP.

WE HAVE CANCELLED OUR CONSULTATION AND AS IT IS WITH MORE THAN 3 WORKING DAYS NOTICE(AS IN ONE OF THE MANY CLAUSES IN EXTRA SMALL PRINT) WE ARE HOPING TO GET OUR MONEY BACK AND START AGAIN NOR SURE WHO WITH IF ANY YET. I TOOK ADVICE AND PRINTED OFF THE TRA FORMS AND BOOKLETS AND THE VISA APPLICATION FORMS AND THEY DONT LOOK TOO DIFFICULT APART FROM THE BIT WHERE I HAVE TO WRITE EVERYTHING MY HUSBAND DOES AT WORK, DONT KNOW WHERE TO START WITH THAT ONE.

ALL YOUR POINTS OF ARGUMENT HAVE BEEN TAKEN AND DUELY NOTED ANS I WOULD JUST LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE OF YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME.

KELLY :roll:

Guest pippycol

HI KELLY WE ARE A FAMILY OF 2 ADULTS AND 2 CHILDREN. THE AGENT WE USED CHARGED £1800 INC VAT THEN WE HAD TO PAY FOR ANY DOCUMENT VERIFICATION AND THE VISA APPLICATION

:) COLIN AND PAULA[/i]

thank you all. we managed to get our money back for the consultation, but they kept the money for the points test, a whole £95. which is quite annoying because we knew already that we have more points than we need to go. :evil: any way got intouch with overseas migaration who did the points teast for free and phoned and spoke to my husband for about half and hour, then they sent all their paper work through with prices and we still have not payed them a penny, we have decided to go with them because i just cannot get my head round the whole tra thing and it would be left to me to do. so i would just like to say again a big thank you you all really helped us.

Archived