A really stupid question: dogs and wellies!!

BuddysMum

I feel really dumb asking this, but I have no idea.....

We have a dog who needs long walks (about an hour twice a day). Now, I am happy to walk him on beaches if we happen to end up near one, but how safe is it to walk a dog in the bush?

He doesn't tend to wander too far from us but he is a gundog breed so can't guarantee that he won't follow an interesting scent. We hope to settle near Brisbane.

Also....this is even more dumb.....will we need our wellies? We have hiking boots, but obviously here in UK we use wellies nearly every day. Even if we were only going to need then half a dozen times a year I would bring them...what do you think?

:goofy:

Hi

You've not got a cocker spaniel by any chance have you? We have and she chased rabbits all the time and the only time we knew where she was was when the bushes moved! I was really worried at first here in Melbourne as there are snakes as you will know but she doesnt seem to go off into the bushes much now as i always call her back straight away. I dont worry if the temp is mainly below about 25 degs but am petrified if the weather is warmer and the snakes start waking up.

We are moving to Brisbane in 4 weeks time and i will say i worry about the ticks they are supposed to have in the long grass there plus the weather will be more to the liking of snakes so i will have to be extra careful. You can give your dog frontline to protect from the fleas and ticks but its the cane toads and snakes that worry me.

Just try and walk your dog in places that are not too bushy to begin with and see how your dog is at coming back when you call.

You wont need wellies (gum boots) in Brissy unless it rains a lot. I would take them though just in case you arrive and its raining non stop but in general i wouldnt say they would get much use.

Georgie

i ve got a cocker spaniel, and what u say about only knowing where they are when the bushes move is soooooo true!!! he s a workin bred one, nose down and running thru under growth at all times lol!!!! i do worry what he ll be like when we move, he can be a bit dizzy at time s but is only 1. i think the cane toads is my worry, he carrys everything and anything round in his mouth.

lorraine x

lorraine mine is a working bred one too and its when they get the scent of something and you cant call them back that is frustraing as she is gone for 30 minutes and sometimes more! When ours was about 1 year old we were so distraught as it was getting dark and we thought we would have to put posters up and everything but just as we had given up hope she came back wet and thorns sticking all over her! We were sooo mad with her but also relieved. She is now 11 years old and calmed down a bit but the other day she got the scent of a rabbit and off she went.

You are the lady that didnt know wether to bring your dog arent you? You have decided to bring him/her now?

Georgie

Thanks for the replies - yes he's a cocker spaniel. !/4 working type (any of you found the fantastic cocker spaniel forum? - PM me for addy if you are interested!). He's not very manic, but he certainly has the dizzy breed characteristics.

Buddy is blue roan - what do you guys have?

Hi

Molly is a blue roan too. She used to go on 2 hour walks round Thruscross Reservoir (in North Yorks) chasing rabbits and when we got home she was still full of energy and could do it again whereas my legs would have seized up!!

She is very soppy too and rolls over for a tummy tickle even to strangers!

We couldnt have left her as she is part of the family of course-however i do think they are more suited to English walks because of the fact they like to go in the undergrowth. Plus here i am always looking for any kind of walk that is near some sort of water as she gets too hot. I have bought her a coat that is supposed to help them sweat the heat out through their skin instead of just panting it out. Its from Silver Eagle Outfitters - just google it.

Georgie

Guest fatpom
Now, I am happy to walk him on beaches if we happen to end up near one, but how safe is it to walk a dog in the bush?

I'm not sure if you can walk a dog on the beach? You definately can't take a dog into the national parks. There are state forests dotted around and you might very well be OK to take your dog into them places.

In any case there are lots of other places where there'd be no dramas taking a dog in the bush and provided you kept it under control the farmer/land owner probably wouldn't care. There is probably no land in Aus that isn't under some kind of ownership.

As for your dog's safety its not much more likely to come to harm in Aus than in the UK. Keep treating for ticks and heart worm and it'll be OK. As for snakes and cane toads, I think very few dogs get bitten or poisoned in reality. Far more likely to be run over by a car I reckon?

Most areas we've looked at have beaches you can walk your dog on and some you can't, or that are resticted to certain times of the year. When you register your dog you can get maps of the on and off leash dog exercise areas from the council. I presume that the off leash areas are reasonably safe, but I wouldn't want my dog wandering too far from the track. It is a worry but lots of people seem to have dogs and cats in Queensland and have no trouble,

Guest The Pom Queen

Don't need wellies in Melbourne, mind you they do sell them and they are real jazzy, you can get leopard print, cow print, rainbow colours and much more, no more of the plain boring black and green ones we use to have as kids

Archived