Duncraig / North Perth

Guest mandisfam

Guest mandisfam

Hi Folks, Was wondering in any other fellow PIOers live in or near Duncraig. Purely on website research we seem to prefer the north of perth to the south, in particular the suburb of Duncraig.

So was I hoping someone might be able to tell more about it and what the schools are like.

Many thanks

Mandisfam

Hi Folks, Was wondering in any other fellow PIOers live in or near Duncraig. Purely on website research we seem to prefer the north of perth to the south, in particular the suburb of Duncraig.

So was I hoping someone might be able to tell more about it and what the schools are like.

Many thanks

Mandisfam

Hi Cant help you with the schools cos we are old and dont need them, lol. We live in Kallaroo NOR and its a nice area, close to beach shops, etc. We did live in Clarkson until recently, nice place but too far to travel to work. NOR is fine. So is SOR, although not lived there we have visited places there, we just ended up NOR by chance really. Hope this helps. :smile:

That was Nick I`m still in the pit( it is my day off lol) Duncraig is just bottom side of Hepburn Ave., which comes out at Hillarys Boat harbour. A guy at work lives at Duncraig nd his kids go to the school ,we cant comment as our youngun is 18. We are ar Kally, top side of Whitfords Ave. As they are near the coast the houses are a bit dearer. You will find that with the subs next to the coast. The beaches at Sorrento, Hillarys Mully are great and if youre bringing a dog there is a good dog beach at Hillarys my mutt goes mad when he gets there pm me if I can help with owt

ps If you checking out houses use google maps streetview its very good and a bit eerie I know its more up to date than google earth as my mates ute is outside his house and they have only been there 12 month

Mally

(got to get up now booo)

Guest Graham&kym

Our son goes to Duncraig senior high. Has a very good reputation. He has had no problems and has a very nice group of friends (no hoons!). Our Daughter goes to Glaengarry primary. Very good.

Hi,

We're not there yet but spent a lot of our reccy in Duncraig as that is where we thought we wanted to be. The Senior High School has a good reputation and a Gifted and Talented programme & the primary school I spoke to were extremely welcoming and reassuring about integrating migrant children so I'd have no worries on the school side.

Personally I found Duncraig 'dull', there is nothing to it - just housing and a local shopping centre, which certainly provides for all your basic needs - an IGA (where we did most of our shopping), a PO (where we shipped the summer clothes I'd brought home to make room for the winter ones I bought :))), a beauty salon (where I got my nails done before my interview) but it is just 'local shops' and I didn't find Duncraig offered anything else (I mean there is a library , sport centre that sort of thing but no-where you'd go just to browse at the shops or have a coffee and watch the world go by). Of course we were only there two weeks and might have missed something.

The real reason we probably won't go there though are the house prices, we thought we could get a 3-4 bed house for $500K, we went to see about six and wouldn't have bought any of them - the internet is deceiving! All of them had something fundementally 'wrong' that a new kitchen/bathroom & a lick of paint couldn't fix.

Of course you budget might be much more & around the $700K mark you'd be laughing.

Jules

Guest mandisfam

Hi Jules, Thanks for the post interesting reading. Do you mind me asking what it you are looking for and which suburbs did tick your boxes.

I do realise our tick lists might be different but would be interested which suburbs you did like.

Many thanks

Mandisfam

I hate to say this but we didn't find any. Before going on our reccy we had originally thought Duncraig & rented near there, actually by the time the reccy came we had changed our mind & thought Parkerville in the Perth Hills but we hated it! So we spent our first weekend looking at properties in Duncraig which were very disappointing. We were in a bit of a tailspin then & started looking at new builds much further out - Butler & Secret Harbour. We liked Secret Harbour & went again visiting Rockingham & Mandurah too (thinking they might have the 'life' we're looking for!) but didn't like them at all. And then it was time to come home.

Since coming home we've been looking into Willetton & more recently settled on a suburb of Fremantle but we are now painfully aware that the ideas you get from the internet are not quite the same as reality. I think this forum is better than internet sites but as you say people have different requirements.

We loved Perth City & are confident we will find the place for us - we just haven't yet (& it is stressful!)

Jules

Hello

My parents lived in Duncraig for over 10 years and it was really nice. My brother went to Glengarry Primary School and then went on to Duncraig High and he seemed to enjoy and my parents were happpy with both schools.

It is a really lovely suburb and not too far from beach, shops etc.

Emma

x

Guest mandisfam
I hate to say this but we didn't find any. Before going on our reccy we had originally thought Duncraig & rented near there, actually by the time the reccy came we had changed our mind & thought Parkerville in the Perth Hills but we hated it! So we spent our first weekend looking at properties in Duncraig which were very disappointing. We were in a bit of a tailspin then & started looking at new builds much further out - Butler & Secret Harbour. We liked Secret Harbour & went again visiting Rockingham & Mandurah too (thinking they might have the 'life' we're looking for!) but didn't like them at all. And then it was time to come home.

Since coming home we've been looking into Willetton & more recently settled on a suburb of Fremantle but we are now painfully aware that the ideas you get from the internet are not quite the same as reality. I think this forum is better than internet sites but as you say people have different requirements.

We loved Perth City & are confident we will find the place for us - we just haven't yet (& it is stressful!)

Jules

Hi Jules

Thanks for the post. Interesting. I think Perth has a reputation of being on the quiet side. For us this is not a problem, we like quiet.

Good luck in finding your perfect suburb, if there is such a suburb....lol but you know what I mean.

Do keep us posted on how it all goes, its not long for you is it???

Mandisfam

Guest mandisfam
Hello

My parents lived in Duncraig for over 10 years and it was really nice. My brother went to Glengarry Primary School and then went on to Duncraig High and he seemed to enjoy and my parents were happpy with both schools.

It is a really lovely suburb and not too far from beach, shops etc.

Emma

x

Hi Emma

Many thanks for that. Where are you headed???

Mandisfam

Guest bruce&jackie

Hi Mandisfam,

We had our reccie end of May this year in Padbury, OZ is so different to what we expected not bad just different. Our son is 14 so we are interested in schools ,the lady we rented from was a high school maths teacher [british expat] and said Duncraig was a very good school. We are looking to settle in Hillarys as felt location was right for us, great transport links, close to beach, good schools, whitfords shopping centre all places that our son can walk to as we want him to have more freedom. Like someone said earlier the internet gives a false impression of an area/housing, it took us a week to aclimatize and get a real feel for places but once there you will know what suits you and your family. Can't wait to sell our house as just want to start our new life in OZ.

Take care, hopefully meet up one day for a real ozzie barbie, Jackie x

Archived