Visa issues - student 572 or skilled 175 visa?

Taz2008

What a nightmare - so much information to read and sooooo confusing! :err:

We first thought my husband would be the best way to get residency in Australia, however, although he has an NQV level II in Plastering he has only done just over 500 hours of training (2yr day release course). He has been working as a plasterer for 10 years and the last 5 had his own business here in France! BUT it appears that as he has not completed 900 hours college training he will not apply for the Skilled 175 visa and that we should wait for the new MAP criterea to come out! - this could be forever by the looks of it!

So, we then thought, I would apply for a student visa (as i wanted to do a hairdressing course anyway) but I am quite worried that this will cost too much and we may not get permanent residency at the end of it.

Does anyone have any advice on this? If on a student visa I have heard that you need to pay for school fees (I have two little ones!) does this mean private schools or states schools as well?

My eyes hurt from trawling the internet for information so if anyone could help me I would be very grateful!:wubclub:

Has no-one been in this situation? Very keen to hear what you might have to say.

Still confused - why does it have to be so complicated! I can see I am not the only one pulling my hair out with the frustrations of obtaining a visa and other information!!!

I just want to scream - hang on a min.... :arghh: aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh! Thanks for listening - thats better!!!!:wacko:

Guest Miss M x

we are going on a student visa but believe me if there was another way for us we wouldn't it's costing a fortune £11,500 for college course, £12,000 for school fees (1 child going in yr 10) and then we can only work 20 hrs a week when we get there so a very expensive way to go and no gurantee of PR when course finished, if i was you i'm not sure how the requirements for the 900 hrs of training works mind but if it's a case of gaining an extra 500 hrs training i would try and get your husband to complete an extra 500 hrs in france if he can do full time 30 hrs a week your looking at a 18 week course tops alot cheaper than doing it in Aus i think

i'm not trying to scare you from the student visa way just let you know that i think most people given another option would take that other option

Good luck x

Guest Miss M x

by the way the school fees were for a state school in QLD for 3 yrs the private schools are roughly the same but my son chose what school he wanted to go to ,all kids of student visa holders are classed as international students so same rules applies to the kids as to the parents

Good luck in whatever way you decide to do it :v_SPIN:

Archived