college and school questions

Guest lj walker

Guest lj walker

:arghh:Hi, we are hoping to move to australia in 18 months or so with our three children.( 16,13,5)

The oldest one 16 has left school and started college 1 year IT course. He was then hoping to go on and do a two year course in softwear development ect.

Can anyone let us know what may be avalible to him or offer any advise?

Also with the two other children how do the school years work, in england the cut of date is 3 sep i think.

any help would be great...

Lisa x

It all depends on which state you will be going to as to which year level they enrol in. A good summary is Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The cut off date isnt consistent across the country but is usually either April or July.

Without a year 12 certificate, your older child could struggle a bit but there are courses he could take at TAFE which might fit the bill and you may want to encourage him to get his year 12 at some time because it is a definite advantage when seeking work - most Aussie kids do go through to year 12. Although of course it isnt essential and it is possible to get a job without it it is just much easier with it! There are TAFE courses all over and some of them can lead to credit towards a uni degree if that is the way he wants to go.

Guest lj walker

Thanks, Not sure which state we will be going to yet. Still doing our homework, need something for everyone.

The older boy will not be up for finishing year 12 he could nt wait to leave school and really struggled with it. he loves computers and is good with them. would like to maybe do games design or something like this.

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, Not sure which state we will be going to yet. Still doing our homework, need something for everyone.

The older boy will not be up for finishing year 12 he could nt wait to leave school and really struggled with it. he loves computers and is good with them. would like to maybe do games design or something like this.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Just want to say good luck. I have a 16 year old and she too couldn't wait to finish School. We've recently decided to try the move to Oz and i know it'll be a headache trying to find somewhere to live that will provide the lifestyle, education for my 16 & 5 year olds and work opportunities for my husband. I'm just starting off by reading posts and writing things down so i can get my head around things.

Jackie

Hi everyone,

i am finding these forums very helpful, we are just starting our process. We are going through a nursing agency and have a 17 year old daughter who is currently in her first year of 6th form doing psychology, biology, english and health & social care. according to the agency we could be in oz by next july so she will have one more year to do. we are hoping to move to Brisbane, does anyone know if she will be able to complete her course there. Hubby is also worried about finding a job when we get there. he too is very good with computers but entirely self taught.

good luck to anyone going soon

lynne

Hi everyone,

i am finding these forums very helpful, we are just starting our process. We are going through a nursing agency and have a 17 year old daughter who is currently in her first year of 6th form doing psychology, biology, english and health & social care. according to the agency we could be in oz by next july so she will have one more year to do. we are hoping to move to Brisbane, does anyone know if she will be able to complete her course there. Hubby is also worried about finding a job when we get there. he too is very good with computers but entirely self taught.

good luck to anyone going soon

lynne

You will need to be very careful about moving your 17 year old - if they put her into year 12 she may well end up with not enough credits for a year 12 certificate (I think it was Nurse Sue??? who had just this problem with her son going into year 12 in Qld) and then would not have the qualifications to go to uni. She wont be able to complete A levels in Australia unless she does them by correspondence - you could check with your examinations board to see if this is a possibility I suppose. This is going to be very tricky for her and one of your options may be to let her stay in UK to finish her A levels and then come to Aus with the qualifications to get straight into uni.

Guest susie one

Hi there , we have leanne 18, charlotte 16 leaving in may 09 doing gcse s, wants to study law, same here strugled with school glad to see the back of it, ryan 14 in jan, beth 8, all looking forward to the big move prob sept 09 now, gold coast pacific pines looks nice, trying to find out cut off date for schools im doing research on pacific pines prmary and high, not sure where charlotte would fit in if she has to go to school over there , or to college and there again whitch one, and would that cost us as we are going on a 176 visa state sponsor and oh is gen electrican, im a reg childminder , like to here any advice cheers sue from susie one forom, good luck to u all going threw the long process

Hi there , we have leanne 18, charlotte 16 leaving in may 09 doing gcse s, wants to study law, same here strugled with school glad to see the back of it, ryan 14 in jan, beth 8, all looking forward to the big move prob sept 09 now, gold coast pacific pines looks nice, trying to find out cut off date for schools im doing research on pacific pines prmary and high, not sure where charlotte would fit in if she has to go to school over there , or to college and there again whitch one, and would that cost us as we are going on a 176 visa state sponsor and oh is gen electrican, im a reg childminder , like to here any advice cheers sue from susie one forom, good luck to u all going threw the long process

If your daughter wants to study law she will need very high year 12 scores to get into university. As I mentioned in connection with a previous thread, she needs to be careful that she is not disadvantaged by her placement when she gets here - given that she needs really high scores it would be in her best interest to do years 11 and 12 (they start in February of course) and that way she can be assured that she has enough units for her year 12 certificate. Her schooling wont cost you but she will have to pay upfront for her university course and the cost of that will depend on whether she can get a Commonwealth Supported place - I doubt she will be eligible for HECS Help as she wont be a citizen by the time she starts uni. Good luck with it!

Hi Susie,

I spoke to some teachers at the london expo yesterday. they advised to google all the schools and colleges in the area you want to be in and contact them direct. they are well used to having children from england and should be able to advise on entry and qualifications etc. Australia shcool year starts in Feb and ends Dec. we are hoping to go june/july 2009 so effectively will be gong in the middle of their school year, not the best time. We have Anissa 17 studying psychology, biology, english and health & social care at A level. Doesnt know quite what to do after that.

we are looking at cannon hill, redcliff, manly area.

good luck

lynne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beach waves

Oh dear,I have done what you are doing in reverse.May I suggest you send them to a paying school if they need good grades,also they can do the hsc again to gain the marks needed to law etc if the dont get them the first time and can attend a tafe.The other possibility is the baclureate,some schools offer it.Your kids will find the australian system similar to the britsh but harder,unless they are quite academic they will struggle,at least to begin with.The older one really needs to start at the begiining of year 11,whcih may mean they may need to start in year 10 in the middle.Year 11 starts in the last term of year 10.Yes its weird.This might make them older but it will be helpful.My son did all aut system till year 7 ,then the uk system.......then back to year 11.He has just finished year 12 and is only 17,the youngest in the year.I have not found anywhere where you can do your a levels here,but you may find somewhere.

Hi BW, thaks for all the infor. we have been talking all this over with our 17 year old and she has decided to stay here untill she has finished her A levels. It's hard for us to leave her but she is staying with relatives and by the time we get to oz which is hopfully June/July time she will only have a year to go, she will join us then. She really does'nt want to repeat all her exams which we can appreciate so this is the best compromise all round and she is happy with this.

Archived