Questions about University

Guest S&J

Can anybody help please. We are due to arrive in NSW summer of 2010. Our youngest son, who is currently doing A levels in England wants to go to uni in Oz starting January 2011. Will the Oz universities accept English A levels and what are the fees for universities? Also does anyone know about the application procedure?

Any other info about Oz universities would also be really useful.:idea:

Thanks,

Sonia

All Unis have diffferent fee structures so you would need to visit their sites to see what they are.

In Victoria the VTAC guide comes out in August and all the courses for the unis are in it and people apply for the courses. In January they publish who has gained a place at Uni.

I imagine A levels would be acceptable. Here in Victoria they go on a TER system of points for courses, medicine and law have the highest as they are most sought after in the high 90s.

Students either have Hecs account which they pay off when they start work or they become a full fee paying student.

I know my friends daughter who did arts law hecs fees are in the order of $50,000 and that she entered uni before they put the fees up. Medicine is very expensive.

My son teacher has hecs fees of appox $30,000 and my daughter goodness knows what as whe is returning to uni next year and her fees would be very high now.

Melbourne unis are : Melbourne, Deacon, Latrobe, Monash, RMIT, Swinburne, Victoria.

In the country Ballarat, Latrobe, Monash. Their web sites are very informative.

:smile:

Hi Sonia

If you use this link - www.studyinaustralia.gov.au it will guide you through to the various uni's with different search options ie course, uni, area etc. Has links to the uni's websites too. Although this site is really aimed at international students it will help you find what uni's are around your area and as I say, link you through to their sites where you can look at the fees for the particular courses as Forgetmenot says, course costs vary massively.

A Levels are accepted, it works on a points scale in general, similar to the UK and some offer entry courses should that be necessary. There are options like HECs (similar to student loans I think) and commonwealth assisted place schemes but I don't have a full understanding of these or how they work for new migrants etc (have got to get my head round it soon for my daughter).

I hope this helps a bit.

Lyn

It all depends on his visa status as well, as to what the fees will be - if you come on a temporary visa then he would be up for international student fees (horribly expensive). If he will be a permanent resident then he will have to pay domestic fees (just ordinarily expensive:arghh:) but he will have to pay them up front - deferral of payment for commonwealth assisted places is for citizens only. No worries with the A levels - the uni will give him an idea of the grades required to be equivalent to the uni entrance scores achieved by the year 12 assessments.

Although he can apply to universities anywhere in Australia, most kids tend to go to the uni closest to home - not exclusively of course, but as a general trend. So start saving up now!

Would just like to add, only Oz citizens are intitled to HECS help (student loans) so unless your son is a citizen be prepared to pay up front for his fees each semester.

The way the fees work in Oz is you have ;

1, Commonwealth supported places where the fees are subsidised by the govenment and are roughly $4 - $9K per year, teaching and nursing being the cheapest, medical, vet science etc being the dearest.

2, Domestic fee paying places. These are for citizens and PR but they are much much higher, about $20k per year (sorry dont know exactly as we cant afford them so havent really looked into it).

3, International student fees. Again these are very high, over $25k I think. Not looked into it much as dont need to.

As Permenant Residents you are intiltled to commonwealth supported places though and most Unis offer these and some courses I've looked at only have commonwealth places available.

There are also Private Unis where the fees are roughly the same as International fees.

It is very confusing and you are doing the right thing by looking into it early. My son has just done his A-levels and is now here in Oz looking at Unis for next year. There wont be a problem with his results but he will need to get them converted, we havent done this yet but my son has rang a couple of Unis and they have told him 'roughly' what his UAI score will be going on his A-level results (if you know what I mean).

Anything else I can help with just shout.

Sam x

Archived