Urgent education problem...

LukeM

Hi

I have an URGENT education dilemma.

Starting AS Levels @ a college in the UK in a week on Monday and I have realised that I will HAVE to change my options if I want to be able to get 4 AS levels in year 12 at College before we go to Australia hopefully this time next year.

Will the Australian system convert AS level points from here so I can continue my courses in Australia?

I need to know NOW (please) as I have to confirm my subject choices on MONDAY and this is absolutely my biggest nag right now, I'm loosing sleep over it and if they won't convert the points I might as well just stick to what I have already chosen and start over again in Australia in year 11/12.

PLEASE HELP ME I'M BEGGING YOU!!

Luke :cry:

Ok, I googled your dilemma, here's something I found I dont know if it wil help?

the website is School System - Study in the UK - Education UK - British Council Australia

Australian equivalents

UK universities list either A-level results or the A-level tariff as their academic entry requirements. The table below gives an approximate Australian school-level qualification equivalent for these scores.

A-level Points IB UAI/TER/ENTERQLD OPAAA3898.302AAB3696.953ABB3495.054BBB3292.555BBC3089.606/7BCC2885.958CCC2681.659CCD2476.8511CDD2274.1012DDD2068.9013DDE1863.2514/15DEE1657.1516EEE1450.6017/18EE1243.6019/20

UK GCSEs and GCE A-levels are not offered by the British Council in Australia. For further information on sitting GCSE or A-level examinations in Australia, contact us:

enquiries@britishcouncil.org.au

Or, I have also found an australian government website you could have a look at, the address is:

Study in Australia

I hope this helps, or you could call the australian embassy tomorrow morning before 12 and ask their advice. Nothing like leaving things to the last minute hey!:spinny:

I think it may depend on the state you go to. I know that in ACT you can get credit for work done at an equivalent level - we have total continuous assessment so it is easier but if you were to go to NSW where the HSC system is one of continuous assessment and then exams you may not be able to transfer because the course would not be the same as the one you are taking in UK and come exam time you wouldnt have done the course work content. Unfortunately, the bottom line for emigrating kids wanting to go to university is that you can be disadvantaged if you dont do the full final couple of years course (11 & 12) here. Other thing to remember is that most kids will be doing about 7 or 8+ subjects at yrs 11 & 12, not just the 4 A/AS level subjects.

Call a school in the area you are proposing to live when you get here and ask them - you can call Sunday night (your time) any time after about 11pm (for the East Coast) and you will probably find someone answering a phone (after midnight would be better) or speak to someone in a Directors office.

If you got your A levels before you arrive then you would be laughing because they would be perfectly adequate to get you into uni.

Good luck with your dilemma - I can see that it may well be doing your head in!!!

Yeah the real problem though is if we go, it will be this time next year so I will have only completed AS level (not A2) and wouldn't fancy skipping back a year and starting all over again in 11/12 but I guess I may have no choice. :arghh: I wish my parents had just sorted this all out sooner, then I could be there now and starting year 11 in January after doing a little of year 10 first.

Archived