Aussie Driving

Guest spock

Before we left we read loads of stuff about how poor Aussie driving is, but all we've seen in the 11 days we've been here is perfectly normal careful driving. Am I missing something?

We're just outside Geelong in Belmont. Driven down to Drysdale and up to Point Cook, all the same.

Also, hardly seen any speeding, except minor stuff on the Princes Freeway.

James.

LOL you havent seen a Volvo driver in a hat yet then?

You probably also need to go into central Melbourne and try one of the freeways just to get the hang of the tailgating - or even maybe the Hume especially in NSW where the trucks tail gate you (nothing like a big Mack up your b*m). Then do take a trip up here to Canberra and share the joys of going round roundabouts with people who dont have a clue! You havent lived yet!!!

And wait till all traffic stops at the Green lights.......Why does that happen???? They seem to speed through on Amber and sometimes Red, but pull up behind them when the light's green and you end up stopping.........has me puzzled at times!:biglaugh:

My OH flatly disagreed with the comments about Aussie drivers initially. Now he has had to eat his words big time :twitcy:

I think it is very easy to 'not see' the unpleasant bits bout Oz like driving when you first arrive because you are in a state of euphoria coz you've finally made it! This is not meant as offensive in any way because we have eaten enough humble pie to last a lifetime LOL

The highways are most definitely the worst, I find it's just easier to drive with my eyes shut!!!!!!! Sometimes it is so bad it is actually funny :huh:

You get used to it though and I have to say I have sometimes been very guilty of 'if you can't beat them, join them' LOL

Lyn x

Before we left we read loads of stuff about how poor Aussie driving is, but all we've seen in the 11 days we've been here is perfectly normal careful driving. Am I missing something?

We're just outside Geelong in Belmont. Driven down to Drysdale and up to Point Cook, all the same.

James.

Hi James

You have obviously been very lucky not to come across poor Aussie drivers!!

I reckon give it another 11 days and you wont be writing the same thread!! lol

You only have to go to a car park and come into contact with drivers that will drive around you when your trying to get out a parking space even if the majority of your car is out!! Then you have the drivers who sit at traffic lights and will do anything to try and get infront of you even if they are behind you!! The drivers who sit in the overtaking lane and refuse to move out the way even if they are not over taking.

All I can say James is enjoy it while it lasts!! lol

Deb xx

Guest Redaussies

James.

Got to agree with you James, I find the driving here in Brisbane a lot more "road friendly" and considerate, switching lanes for example, they hold back and let you in and so on. I do find they love the undertaking, (overtaking on your inside) and just dawdling along in the outside lane.

On a down side, I consider the quality of the roads here in our area to be poor, needing resurfacing and widening for the amount of traffic using them. I mean this for safety reasons for everyone. I spoke to a guy the other day as he was getting into his nice shiny Porsche 911 and said to him “Nice Motor Mate all you need now is a road to drive it on” He wasn’t amused. The other point I feel is frightening is the vast amount of Heavy large trucks go along. For example, one of the main roads into Brisbane that I use daily consists of about 4 to 5 lanes, traffic in each direction with no central reservation (Milton Road)

The road is quite heavily used and there's one after another of lorry’s and the size of some of these trucks both in width and length is comparable to a HGV juganaught back home which we mainly see on Motorways. Often their towing a second section, of equal size. Their just too wide for the lanes and a car driver has to watch all angles, both on your inside and of course oncoming traffic as these trucks come in both directions. One even clipped my car the other day and I was stationary well within my lane at traffic lights.

This scenario is common all around Brisbane even in the CBD, and is the biggest annoyance I have found in driving here. Also the truckers are not fussy, they just plough on irrespective of the white lines on the road, and I guess it's just a case of tough luck if you’re in the way.

REDDERS

Guest linziloo

James.

Give it time James, I thought the same as you when I first arrived. now... they drive me insane!

Linz :arghh:

Guest The Pom Queen

Umm maybe the driving in Geelong is a lot more laid back, over here in the SE and to the city it's mad, people never move over if your trying to merge on the freeway, trucks getting right up your backside. The thing that winds me up the most is that if you do give way to someone they don't even have the courtesy to say thanks.:realmad:

We felt very similar when we came on our reckie too. Now we've been here for a few months we've noticed that the driving can be a bit lary. Having said that tho, I still much prefer driving here to the UK. I think you just need to be a bit more alert and assertive when you drive here. People do use their indicators a lot more, which is good. The only thing that really gets on my wires is the tailgating. I was followed recently on the freeway by a woman who managed to put on a full face of make up while driving at 100kph. She did the lot, foundation, powder, blusher, eyes and lippie. At one point she was using both hands on her face so god knows how she was in control of the steering wheel. Frightening!!!! Also, has anyone else noticed how drivers seem to stray into the gutter while driving on the freeways??

T xx

Guest moonraker1961

I always found drivers fine in suburbia or the country town where I lived.It was out of the freeways everyone cut loose lol You'd either get some aggressive truckie behind you,or some moron overtaking you when there are cars coming the opposite way!!!

Guest cbr1100XX

Hi

Aussie drivers do not understand the concept of Bus Lanes, T2 and T3 transit lanes, driving on the inside lane of a freeway, leaving ample stopping distances between themselves and vehicles in front or pedestrians have right of way.

And as for moving over to the outside lane of a dual carriageway to allow vehicles to join (when they are the only car on the road) well lets not go there.

Certainly not in Sydney anyway.

I'm not saying the standards are fantastic in the UK but they are 10 times better than here.

We have just come back from 2 weeks driving around Melbourne, from Mornington to the North West and down to the Bellarine Peninsula and along the Great Ocean Road. My OH who drives regularly in and around London didn't think it was any worse than at home although the worst areas are definitely on the freeways in the East. This isn't the first time we have driven in Melbourne as we are regular visitors but it is the first time we have actively tried to take notice after hearing all the negative comments about it. I think there is an Aussie equivalent of 'White Van Man' and that is 'White Ute Man'!

Guest Redaussies

Been watching this post, and now as I'm driving somewhere here, I keep thinking about the post and laughing. Watching a guy in an old jeep today and he was bombing along like Dick Dastardly tail gaiting a bus. 2.jpg Zooming down the Western freeway without a care in the World he was.

So what are we to conclude about these Aussies then???? Obviously they are annoying us when they get behind the wheel. OK I know it's their Country and all that, but that's no excuse, they should be considering us, surely they must have heard how many of their favourite friends from England and the rest are arriving here now, the way their driving anyone would think they hadn't realised how superior we are behind the wheel.

So I ask, Why do they drive like this ? What is the reason for it? Are we Brits that much better drivers and if so How come? Are they just ignorant or rude.? Are they just dull? Should we not start a campaign here now to make them do their driving test again only this time we get examiners from back in Britain to come here and test them.

Personally I like their driving but then if you had ever been in a car with my Mrs you would like them too. So I think I might get this post printd up in A4 style questionaire and hand it out around Brisbane next week. I'm a bit busy for the next few weeks so can I have a few nominations on who's name and contact details I should put on the flyer to be distirbuted for the Australians (who will be no doubt be queing up for this help) to be able to respond. Nominate someone, even moderators can apply.

Come on Now Guy's lets have some help with this project which is for excellent research and for the benefit of us all, in sorting out these driving problems and road safety in Australia.

By the way I dont want any jokes cos I bumped my car this week OK, it was an accident and a stupid bloody place to put a pillar. And the Mrs was talking too much, and too loud, and a load of b'''''cks Volanteer's c'mon

auto_wos6.gif

REDDERS

Guest ScotJohn

its not that they dont know...the just dont care/ or think, lol...they wanna start realising that you can actually die ffs, lol. anyways...MON THE M6 toll road!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

:twitcy: Redders!!!

My OH came home from work yesterday - using the M1 Pacific Highway down the Gold Coast.

He said he was driving all nice and steady when a white high powered sports ute with P plates on it came shooting onto the highway from a joining slip. It was going ridiculously fast and shot straight across 4 lanes into the 'fast' lane and proceeded to welly it!! A while later he caught up with it (heavy traffic slowed everyone down) and glanced across fully expecting to see some young boy racer............... SHE was at least 70 :swoon:

On another occasion, we were both travelling down the same highway, traffic somewhat clogged up, the vehicle in front got bored of queuing so took the rural route......... the grass central reservation for as far as we could see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lyn x

Guest Redaussies
Redders!!!

My OH came home from work yesterday - using the M1 Pacific Highway down the Gold Coast.

He said he was driving all nice and steady when a white high powered sports ute with P plates on it came shooting onto the highway from a joining slip. It was going ridiculously fast and shot straight across 4 lanes into the 'fast' lane and proceeded to welly it!! A while later he caught up with it (heavy traffic slowed everyone down) and glanced across fully expecting to see some young boy racer............... SHE was at least 70

On another occasion, we were both travelling down the same highway, traffic somewhat clogged up, the vehicle in front got bored of queuing so took the rural route......... the grass central reservation for as far as we could see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lyn x

Mad story Lyn, :biglaugh: You have really got me worried now though, We haven't given the Mother in law our address here in Oz, but bloody hell, I reckon that was her, She's onto us. What did She look like, ? 70's big ugly fat old face something like Attila the Hun, could your hubby hear anything like swear words and insults streaming from the broom, I mean car. The only comfort I can take from this post is that it was a Sports Ute, so maybe it wasn't her coz She would never fit in it. Bless her, :cry:

REDDERS

You have really got me worried now though, We haven't given the Mother in law our address here in Oz, but bloody hell, I reckon that was her, She's onto us. What did She look like, ? 70's big ugly fat old face something like Attila the Hun, could your hubby hear anything like swear words and insults streaming from the broom, I mean car. The only comfort I can take from this post is that it was a Sports Ute, so maybe it wasn't her coz She would never fit in it. Bless her,

REDDERS

:biglaugh::biglaugh: Now you know you love her really!!!!...... she produced your lovely wife!

Archived