does perth have the worst bus service in the world ?

Guest tim_the_taf

Guest moonraker1961

Can you explain why please?I can only vouch for S.A and Adelaide has a really good bus service,especially the Obahn which I used alot when I lived in the suburbs.Whats up with Perth's then?

Guest Torryquine

Compared to Scotland, the bus service is more reliable and much cheaper. The Smartrider card also gives you 15% off your fare each time you use it. A short journey in Aberdeen used to be £1.10, has now been put up to £2. Here, the same journey costs the equivilent of 50p. Also - all buses and trains in the City Centre are free. We're pretty happy with it!

I've only used the buses a couple of times and found them ontime and reliable. Free bus service within the city is excellent to get around. My in-laws used the buss and train all the time when they visited and were really impressed. What problems are you having Taf?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tim_the_taf

Problems ? I live just off the west coast highway near Scarborough. Buses are never on time, regularly miss a scheduled connection, only 1 bus an hour outside of peak period, and only 4 buses per DAY to Fremantle. Otherwise its a 1.5 hour journey to do what takes 20 mins in the car.

I'm fed up with drivers ignoring the school zone speed limits at school times, drivers who get lost, ignore people at bus stops and don't stop to let people off ! They are packed in the rush hour and cost is equivalent to £3 per day return. Not bad but not cheap.

As for the city centre cats, they're a joke; its much quicker to walk across the very small city centre than walk to a cat bus stop, wait for one and then walk the other end. Better still the Freo cats. I mean, how big is Freo centre to walk around ???

Trains are normally fine, but yesterday Perth logic kicked in. On a 5 car train to Freo yesterday tea time, stopped at Subi, chucked us off, only to get on a 2 car train 5 mins later that was already packed. Where was the 5 car train off to ? To park up empty outside of Subi in the sidings.

Guest tim_the_taf
I have one word for you - bicycle

Fresh air, exercise and you cut through the traffic. You'll get door to door in no time and feel better for it. (Plus you help the environment!)

Check out Perth Bicycle Network for useful info

I do: I cycle when its not raining, but its lethal in Perth, where drivers haven't a clue, and there aren't any cycle paths enroute from home to work. I'd much rather cycle in London than Perth, a lot safer.

Had to get the bus into town first thing yesterday morning. It didn't turn up.

Archived