Watch Out for Scarry Heating Bills

Herbster

Guest Brickie
Our total bill for 82 days (20 of which the place was empty & no electric was used) is OVER $700.00 :cry:

Your bill works out to 65 Kilo watt hours per day of electricity used for the 82 days.

Or 86 Kilo watts for the 62 days you were there.

Mine averages 16 Kilo watts per day, day in day out and we have an all electric house with a wood heater.

You must have a leak somewhere, look for a puddle of electrons just dont touch it....:twitcy:

Usually we use around 11 units per day, but that would be with oil-fired central heating, electric stove & I've used this one De Longhi oil radiator (2000watt) plus a fan heater for years, as a top-up, when the CH was off & we've still rarely used 13 units in a day! :yes:

Now that we've switched off the 3 leaking radiators, the house is 13 degrees indoors & I just checked the meter which is completely motionless!!! Plus, don't forget, the total $770 is for 2 meters - the one for our normal everyday usage is about right, if a bit high, because of the lights we have here & the water pump, a bit of a hidden extra, but I need the actual stats from my OH so that I can see how many units we've used per meter, rather than just knowing the cost. In any case, the really shocking part is that we've used all these units & spent $440 so far just to run 3 rads which have barely kept the place warm. But you're right, it's knowing & comparing the number of units used that really means anything & can signal a problem if it's much higher than normal.

Have you all read you meters now??!! Actually can anyone beat this horrific daily unit usage?! :shocked:

Cheers

Heavens above!!!! There are times when I am really glad that my DH is a scavenger with a chain saw - we havent had to pay for wood for heating for 2 years now. The thought of electric heating is enough to give you an apoplexy. I sense more Damart thermals and hot water bottles in your future! LOL

Heavens above!!!! There are times when I am really glad that my DH is a scavenger with a chain saw - we havent had to pay for wood for heating for 2 years now. The thought of electric heating is enough to give you an apoplexy. I sense more Damart thermals and hot water bottles in your future! LOL

I know: I'm like Nora Batty (is it?) already, with my headscarf & body warmer, gonna have to put my mitts on & thermals as the sun is going down - SOOOO Attractive!!!! Spent most of the day outdoors as it was so much warmer out there!

Yes, I'm saying when we buy it has to have trees! So what is the deal Quoll, with picking up fallen trees, dead wood. In France, for example you daren't do it, in UK there was some peasant law that seemed to let you collect some windfalls in some places...

Nothing wrong with scavenging - though I would draw the line at Road Pizza :biglaugh:

To Herbster

Do they sell the parafin heaters with blowers in them in Tas. We had that type of heating in France and it is fantastic for open plan. Simple to operate (press button to start, same button to stop) but a good one will be expensive to purchase. Downside is slight parafin smell but you do get used to it. Also they do generate moisture but by the sound of it you dont have a well insulated house so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The make we used was Zibro Kamin but there are many cheaper copies.

I know: I'm like Nora Batty (is it?) already, with my headscarf & body warmer, gonna have to put my mitts on & thermals as the sun is going down - SOOOO Attractive!!!! Spent most of the day outdoors as it was so much warmer out there!

Yes, I'm saying when we buy it has to have trees! So what is the deal Quoll, with picking up fallen trees, dead wood. In France, for example you daren't do it, in UK there was some peasant law that seemed to let you collect some windfalls in some places...

Nothing wrong with scavenging - though I would draw the line at Road Pizza :biglaugh:

DH is an urban scavenger - we have burned fence palings, other demolition wood, fallen/felled wood of any description (we dont do pine though). Sometimes people will chop trees and leave them on their nature strip waiting for someone to come along and offer to remove it. Some of the tree surgeon are kind enough to saw it into burner sized logs already and then all the DH has to do is to split it. Scavenging in the bush is prohibited though and unless we get wood from the DS' property we have to buy it. I dont know if it is just that DH has been very lucky, very observant or plain old cheeky but he has done well to collect as much as he has.

In answer to another question - I dont think I have seen paraffin heaters here (just casting back through my mind). Nor do they have calor gas heaters afaik - they were useful little items.

If its any consolation to you our bill have now been put up to £147 per month!

and more rises expected. Please also ber in mind we have had to have the heating on here a few times during the high summer!

I think that may have been the case in Tassie as well last summer it was bloody cold

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Thanks madplummer - Some good sense spoken here - that's what I'm waiting for a biomass heating plant; & when & if ever we can afford to buy our own home, here in Tas, (as in Tasmania!) I would dearly like to have one fitted. What would you recommend? I can't see the point to wasting anything if I can avoid it - which goes down to making compost from our veg peelings or feeding it to the starving wallabies in my garden to stop them eating my/The Owners geraniums, for they must be desperate as nothing usually eats those plants! What I hate & find so upsetting is the thought of spending all this money & still being cold &uncomfortable so most of it has been a terrible waste of EVERYTHING - $$, energy, valuable resources... I just haven't got the value of all those $$$ Kilowatt hours in comfort & warmth... A downside of these large open plan living spaces!

We live in a lovely spot, with million $$ views but it sure takes a fortune to maintain! Unless your home is properly insulated & planned money will just disappear with the sunset... :spinny:

Hi

These liks are to heating manufacturers that produce energy saving/cheaper methods of heating

Zenex Energy

Baxi

http://www.viessmann.co.uk

Solfex limited

Hopes this helps anyone looking to save a bit of dosh!!

madplumber

Hi

These liks are to heating manufacturers that produce energy saving/cheaper methods of heating

Zenex Energy

Baxi

http://www.viessmann.co.uk

Solfex limited

Hopes this helps anyone looking to save a bit of dosh!!

madplumber

Thanks Guys:

Just called Aurora, the Customer Service Rep asked what kind of heat was on the Hydro Heat - I explained just 3 small electric rads - NO (unfortunately) NOT heat pumps - which would make sense - Oh well! there you go then! she exclaimed, happily, like it was an obvious JOKE - That would account for the high usage! But they are Approved by Aurora, I got in... :arghh:

AND they have the nerve to spout Energy Savings tips, as an Energy Conscious Provider - they have a responsibility too (apparently) just like we the consumer, to save energy! - Yet these outrageous little appliances are APPROVED by Aurora....

Imagine: how many MORE power stations we would need if everyone used electricity at this rate? And, if we want the meter read it'll cost us another 70-odd bucks, as it's done on a revolving 90-day schedule - so, none of that calling in your meter reading to a Hotline or even more efficient, posting it to your on-line account. I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed. If I can't be a Good Example, then let me be a Terrible Warning!!!

And something else which would be funny if it wasn't costing us an arm & a leg, is that when looking at our house of an evening from the drive, the light all shines out like a Christmas tree from between the tiles, so I'd love/hate to see one of those Energy-loss photos of the place! No wonder I have so many Wallabies grazing here of a night, they can't escape the magnetism of all those escaping electrons!!! :goofy:

10 degrees in 10 degrees out!

Archived