Help needed please good areas surrounding sydney!!!

Guest crystalrose

Guest crystalrose

At the moment to be precise 3 weeks before my OH flys out to start his new job on a 457 Visa (I will be following in November) the company have now decided that he will be based in Sydney for at least six months. Originally he was to be based in Melbourne - free education - and I was planning the move to the SE of Melbourne which was affordable.

Anyway Please could anybody out there help and let me know of the best areas surrounding Sydney with the best public schools and things for the children we have three 7,8 and nearly 11. We can pay between $3-$400 per week rental, OH does not mind up to 1 hour or so commuting I personally would like to live near a beach and possibly have transport running into Sydney so hopefully I may eventually find a job there. This is probably a tall order I know, our budget was fine in Melbourne and easily found nice areas with good schools within it.

If we can't find all what we need within our budget then we may have to forget the idea of coming.

All these months of work for possibly nothing:sad:

Thanking everybody who can post postive or negative info for us I do appreciate your time and don't know how I would have coped without this fantastic site all these months!!!

don't know any areas sorry but thought i would bump up your post. best of luck cant imagine how weird thing must be feeling at the min xx

Guest cbr1100XX
At the moment to be precise 3 weeks before my OH flys out to start his new job on a 457 Visa (I will be following in November) the company have now decided that he will be based in Sydney for at least six months. Originally he was to be based in Melbourne - free education - and I was planning the move to the SE of Melbourne which was affordable.

Anyway Please could anybody out there help and let me know of the best areas surrounding Sydney with the best public schools and things for the children we have three 7,8 and nearly 11. We can pay between $3-$400 per week rental, OH does not mind up to 1 hour or so commuting I personally would like to live near a beach and possibly have transport running into Sydney so hopefully I may eventually find a job there. This is probably a tall order I know, our budget was fine in Melbourne and easily found nice areas with good schools within it.

If we can't find all what we need within our budget then we may have to forget the idea of coming.

All these months of work for possibly nothing:sad:

Thanking everybody who can post postive or negative info for us I do appreciate your time and don't know how I would have coped without this fantastic site all these months!!!

Hi

$3-400 per week is not very much. You may struggle to get anywhere along the beach. Certainly one that fits 5 people (I assume at the very minimum 3 beds). We had a small 3 bed in Malabar , Eastern Suburbs 2 years ago and that was $650 I cant imagine they've come down that much.

You may need to look in Sydney's far west from about Parramatta outwards to the Blue Mountains. Or out toward Liverpool, Campbelltown or Cronulla/Southern Highlands or north to Hornsby/Berowra. (Assuming your OH is working in central Sydney)

These are along the main train routes in to Sydney so the commute is not too difficult by train. I'd forget commuting by bus, from this distance, takes too long and the main roads in (M2, M4, M5, Syndey Harbour Bridge and Tunnel, Cross City Tunnel) are toll roads so it costs to get in to the CBD and parking is expensive.

I live in the Blue Mountains about 65 km west of Sydney cbd and regularly commute in to the city by train. This is a restricted stop line and doesn't stop at all the small stations along the way. It takes about 1 hour 20 to central costs about $20 return but cheaper if you get a weely pass/ monthly/quarterly etc....

I do this quite often but not sure I could do it 5 days a week for months on end. Although you do manage to get some time to read or catch up on emails.

The schools in the Blue Mountains are all ok and the community is very friendly. This is my idea of the film "It's A Beautiful Life".

We live just off the Bush so get all sorts of parrots, cockatoos, lorikeets, doves, kookaburras visiting the garden. Unfortunately there are a few nasties. Snakes, huge spiders and big scary insects, but you cant have everything.

Hope this helps. If you need info on any where out this way (Blue Mountain Line) I'd be happy to look in to it for you.

cbr...

Guest Scott Family

Hi

We go to Sydney on the 23rd October and i wanted near the beach but it is not in our price range. When I was in sydney in May I checked out the hills area. This is around kellyville, rouse hill, baulkham hills etc and found it was pretty reasonable. I think you will get a decent 3-4 bedroom house to rent for around 400 aus$ per week.

I have checked the schools and the public ones seem good and there are a lot of facilities that families need. Sports clubs, pools, kindergartens etc

It is a fairly newly built area and may lack some individuality but i think overall it is the best place for us to start out on our Australian adventure.

Hope this helps and so sorry your plans got changed last minute. My mantra at the moment to keep me going as thinks are starting to get very scary is it is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. 12 months down the line you will look back and laugh about it!

If he is only going to be there for 6 months, are you sure you really want to join him during that time? Is it possible to wait until he is in a settled place rather than uprooting the kids and trying to get everything settled in NSW if you later find yourself in another state. When you arrive in November, it probably wont be worth putting the kids in school anyway because they will be heading for the summer vacation which will see them off until February.

Your rental budget is going to be on the low side for getting anywhere near the beach (check out prices at Dee Why for example - quite a long way out of the CBD) - you would have more luck around the Hills area (Baulkham Hills, Seven Hills etc) which is a regular commuter belt. You could check out Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au for some ideas about what you could get for your money. It probably will be very basic - you cant get much in Canberra for less than $450pw and Sydney has an even tighter rental market apparently. The swings and roundabouts of living further out are that transport costs make up for the low rental costs as cbr1100XX said. Also there are some areas of Sydney which you would really want to avoid so if you let people on here know what you are thinking about they will tell you whether they are :arghh: areas or not!

Guest Jo Cass

Hi,

I live in Kellyville which is where the Scott family suggested you look.

Currently a large 4 bed house is renting out for $600 per week. The prices have gone crazy since the Mortgage rate increases. It takes me 45mins to drive to Sydney if I leave at 6.45am, but if I leave at 7.30am it will take me 90mins!

The schools are excellent out this way given the new housing estates and influx of kids. My sons primary school has 5 Kindergarten classes (age 5) of 20.

Rousehill may be slightly cheaper as it's another 5-10 mins nearer to Windsor.

Blacktown iand Seven Hills are areas that borders the Hills area. In all honesty they've not got a great reputation, but there are some nice new estates in areas such as Quakers Hill & Kings Langley. Google www.realestate.com.au to see how the prices compare.

At least for 6 months you can stand a not so nice area if you know you're going to where you want to be.

But if you can find another $100 pw by cutting costs elsewhere I would recommend it so that you can get something you like. I would recommend this as we had a big culture shock when we first arrived - the only thing I can relate it to is Post Natal Depression! 6 Years on though, it's fantastic!

Good Luck and if you need any more info I'm happy to assist.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jo,

I'm flying out on Nov 6th with my family - I've got a job in Bella Vista starting in Jan and we've just managed to get our PR visas.

we're going to be looking for a 4 bed house to rent in the Baulkham Hills area (budget $500-$600) - how long do you think it will take me to find somewhere? I've booked an apartment for the first 3 weeks but I'm not sure if this will give me enough time!

We have a slight added complication (as if it wasn't difficult enough!) in that we're taking our 2 cats - so the property must allow cats!!

Any advice you can give us will be gratefully received as the panic is starting to set-in!!

Guest mutikonka

This is where the Aussie dream meets the Sydney reality. We all want to live near a beach and a convenient commute to the city. You can, but not for $400-$500 a week.

As someone said your best bet might be the Hills district in the NW, but it has poor public transport. We're in Strathfield, which has good train services to everywhere and you can get a 3-bedroom house around here for $500 if you look hard and live some way from the station. You might want to think of other places like this in the west - like Parramatta. But don't expect to be living the Home and Away lifestyle.

OK, my tuppence worth!!! If its just for 6 months then he goes back to Melbourne I would ignore Sydney! Either delay your move out or, move to Melbourne on your own and let him commute at weekends!!

If you are worried about kids schools etc, bearing in mind the school year starts in Jan then keep them out of school till you move to Melbourne, short duration moves will not only mess their routine up it will, particularly with older children, seriously reduce their confidence.

If, after all that you still wanna move to Sydney then like other posters tell you, forget about a beach place, unless its south of the airport with poor transport and low esteem.

As an example, we live in Manly, great beach, excellent Ferry routes into the City, but we only have a 2 bed apartment for $700!!! Yes we have a fantastic view and yes its brand new and modern...but...its the bloody view we are paying for not the actual apartment. If you are determined to move to Sydney I would try and find a reasonable rental in the Hills as others have suggested.

Archived