teenager exams uk or oz

Guest yvonne and paul

Guest yvonne and paul

Hi our daughter is about to start her final year in secondary school here in the uk in sept, and we are hoping to get our visas around easter time next year.

She will be ready to sit her exams so not sure to stay here till the summer for her education or to go over to oz and let her sit them there as she would have to stay at school till Nov in oz.

If she picked up her education in oz around easter time im not sure how her exams would work in oz as its probably a different education program.

She thinks she want to be a hairdresser on leaving school so do anyone know what age they start college in oz for this. thanks yvonne

If you're going to get your visa around April, is it worth waiting until the end of the school year to move. Aside from the exams, if this is your daughters final year, she may want to finish that year - to go to the ball and have a real end to her schooling in the UK. Whilst my daughter was only leaving primary school - she'd been there for 7 years and alot of her friends she had known since nursery school and it meant a lot to her - leaving at the same time as everyone else.

Ali

By her final year of secondary school, do you mean GCSEs? If so, then it really doesnt matter - Australia has no regard for them especially if she is going to go further in her education. If you mean A levels then that is another story altogether - let her finish them and they can be transferred as eligibility for university.

The final two years in Australia are the most important and to give a student the best chance, they really need to do the complete two years otherwise they will be disadvantaged when it comes to getting their score for university entry. Most employers look for year 12 results as well as it is the only real assessment that kids have in school.

Australia has a totally different system - heck, every state has a different system!!! Some dont have "exams" at all (ACT) and have a more continuous assessment process. Others have more of a mixture of exams and continuous assessment. The curriculum is going to be totally different so even if she has done the course work for a UK course, the chances are that she wouldnt be able to do the assessments for the Australian course because it would be quite unrelated.

If she is proposing to finish school at the end of year 10 then do try and get her to change her mind. There really isnt much in Australia for kids who dont finish year 12 and there is so much variety that she could well find something and construct a course which would appeal to her and let her finish with an Australian qualification. Training to be a hairdresser is a TAFE apprenticeship course as a general rule here and she will have to compete against kids who have a year 12 qualification in order to get an apprenticeship and a TAFE place. Some of the girls at the salon I go to, have been able to do hairdressing work as part of their year 11 & 12 course and then they have connections with a salon which has (in their case) lead to apprenticeship offers at the salon.

Guest sanders family
Hi our daughter is about to start her final year in secondary school here in the uk in sept, and we are hoping to get our visas around easter time next year.

She will be ready to sit her exams so not sure to stay here till the summer for her education or to go over to oz and let her sit them there as she would have to stay at school till Nov in oz.

If she picked up her education in oz around easter time im not sure how her exams would work in oz as its probably a different education program.

She thinks she want to be a hairdresser on leaving school so do anyone know what age they start college in oz for this. thanks yvonne

Hi yvonne we were in the same dilema, spoke to our son and he wants to stay here to do gcse and then we will move july, he will have missed 6 months of year 11 when we get out there, but he could go back a year, then he would have 2 full years or work really hard to catch the 6 month up. It is so hard but as it is so close to his school live ending in England if he wanted to come back he would have is gcse. Kim

Guest gary n

we are also in the same position. We have decided to let our son complete his GCSE in uk then he will have them just in case HE(not me) wants to come home. Also when he gets to oz he will start school in say november a year behind which will enable him to complete the transition period , and then start the last 2 years from the start of the term (although he will be 19 when he leaves). this way he will have the best of both options.

Hope this helps

Gary

Guest yvonne and paul

Hi thanks for all your reply, they have been all realy helpful.

Rachel our daughter also though about staying to do her exams here (GCSE) so if she came back she would still have them here, well thought off mmmmmmmm, then i said what comming back here to the uk we havnt even left yet and your taking about comming back, LOL

Anyway she did want to be a primary school teacher but now she is sick of school her self thats off the agenda, then she said she fancy bueaty therapy untill i said yesterday you do know you will have to wax peoples bits and bob s!!!

OMG she said i never thought of that LOL so that s off the agenda aswell.

So it hair today and probably gone tomorrow. ah ah

Or i do feel for there age as it is a hard age as well as moving to another counrty and having the possibility of having to sit exams twice. Bless em .

keep sharing all info on this one please x thanks Yvonne x:chatterbox:

Lol, my daughter wanted to be a vet when she was younger ..... until her dad told her she'd have to stick her arm up a cows bum - that was one career that went off the list before it had even got on it!

Ali

Guest cam7445

We hung around the UK for 2 months, without a job, renting and eating away at our savings so my 16 year old could sit his GCSEs.

Arrived here and they are worthless, he is sick to death of studying and picked all the easy subjects (lots of PE), as he no longer wants to go to Uni.

He has decided that he wants an apprenticeship as he can learn a trade and get paid.

In hindsight I should have cut my losses, and left early saving myself many thousands of pouds

Guest yvonne and paul

Hi Cam and Sandra, so did your son have to go back to school in oz once you arrived till Nov? Did he sit his exams again?

Thanks. Yvonne:chatterbox:

Guest dolphinz

We have this quandary as well. My oldest who will be 15yr this year sat exams this year

( only three 3rd yr pupils sat the 4th year exams ) and she did better than a fair few 4th yr pupils.

We are dictating our move around her forth year GCSE's next year. She's unsure if she wants to live in Australia and may come home and has said she'll give it a six month trial.

So at almost 16yr old, will she have to go to school, or can she go to College.

Oh sheesh kebab

Archived