Thinking of making the move - visa, job, experience

jimmyn17

Apologies if thisbhas been heavily discussed elsewhere. I am currently exploring the possibiluty of a mkve to Australia and wanted to hear sime thoughts from those that have gone through the process. Ive got no fixed timelines currently so I guess I am at the very early stages and have done a bit of research.

Essentially I am curious to hear others stories who were in a similar position to myself.

I am 38 years old, UK national currently working for a major global university doing all things video - marketing, events, producing online learning programmes, resources for staff and students, live broadcasting etc. I have an Associate Fellowship in higher education and have a BA Hons in Video Production. I also have an MA and I am a fully qualified teacher with QTS and an additional qualification in adult teaching/learning. I have previously worked as a full time teacher for nearly 10 years and have line managed a faculty.

Ultimately, I am keen to continue working in the video sector ideally within education but I appreciate my role as a teacher is likely more appealing.

I guess I wanted to know from others experience, am I likely to be granted visa for work, what type of visa am I likely to be offered, how easy is it to find jobs in these sectors (higher education and/or teaching)...?

I am fairly flexible with regards to location but very interested to hear others thoughts/opinions at this stage.

Thanks everyone!

James

There is no such thing as a global university, there are many universities with a global recognition.

The thing you will quickly learn with Australian migration is that superlatives and grandiosity are irrelevant.

10 years experience at Harvard or Cambridge is worth as much as the same time at Hull University (no disrespect), it's your ability and quals that matter not how you can package it to sound good.

That said a professor at age 38 is highly desirable to Australia so you should have no issue getting a visa

5 hours ago, jimmyn17 said:

Apologies if thisbhas been heavily discussed elsewhere. I am currently exploring the possibiluty of a mkve to Australia and wanted to hear sime thoughts from those that have gone through the process. Ive got no fixed timelines currently so I guess I am at the very early stages and have done a bit of research.

Essentially I am curious to hear others stories who were in a similar position to myself.

I am 38 years old, UK national currently working for a major global university doing all things video - marketing, events, producing online learning programmes, resources for staff and students, live broadcasting etc. I have an Associate Fellowship in higher education and have a BA Hons in Video Production. I also have an MA and I am a fully qualified teacher with QTS and an additional qualification in adult teaching/learning. I have previously worked as a full time teacher for nearly 10 years and have line managed a faculty.

Ultimately, I am keen to continue working in the video sector ideally within education but I appreciate my role as a teacher is likely more appealing.

I guess I wanted to know from others experience, am I likely to be granted visa for work, what type of visa am I likely to be offered, how easy is it to find jobs in these sectors (higher education and/or teaching)...?

I am fairly flexible with regards to location but very interested to hear others thoughts/opinions at this stage.

Thanks everyone!

James

You talk about what visa you would be offered, doesn't quite work like that, you have to work out what visa(s) you are qualified for and then apply for that visa.

Start with a good read of the Immigration website 🙂 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing

• Like 1

Look at the 189 and 190 visas. Find a job on the list you feel matches your skills and qualifications ( there may be more than one ). Look at the assessment to see if you can provide the evidence and recent experience. Work out your points. 
both these visas are PR and once you have them do not actually require you to work in the field you applied under so you can look at anything. Some jobs will require additional licensing depending on the state like teaching.