Scottish firefighter wishing to move to oz

Good day to everyone 

Never been on here before so nice to meet you all. I live in Scotland and I wish to emigrate to Australia,  as do we all.  I have been a firefighter for 6 years, emergency response medical and hgv driver appliance.  Is there and people on here that has done this that could assist or help maybe point me in the right direction. I have no family or friends in oz as I know that can help. We'll thanks for reading.

Marc

Having family and friends in Oz doesn't help you get a visa, so don't worry about that.

How old are you?   If you're young enough to get a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) then that's your best choice, because it will give you two or three years to decide whether Australia is for you.  

If you're too old for that, then you need to find out if you're eligible for a visa.    There are lists of occupations that are wanted in Australia.  If your occupation is on the lists, you can apply for a visa. If it's not on the lists, you can't get a visa, full stop.  So that's the first thing to find out.

As it's a complicated process, the best thing is to book a consultation with a good migration agent.  It will cost you some money but it means you'll know exactly what your options/chances are.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

6 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

Pretty sure Fire Fighter is on the SOL for 187 nomination; as @Marisawright says - definitely worth consulting a registered migration agent.  

The 187 was closed to new applicants in 2019, unless they were in a transition stream, which the OP is clearly not. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, paulhand said:

The 187 was closed to new applicants in 2019, unless they were in a transition stream, which the OP is clearly not. 

Coolies 👍  This is why I so very often caveat everything with my stock phrase of "I do, as always, yield to any RMA".

2 hours ago, maximum said:

Thanks for the help, I am 44 in September and I know 45 is a age of concern. I will contact an agent and go from there. 

Actually, a much bigger problem is that Firefighter is NOT on any of the current occupation lists.  Paul Hand (who posted above) is a migration agent so he knows what he's talking about.   If your occupation is not on the lists, you cannot get a visa, and there's no way around that. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

2 hours ago, maximum said:

Thanks for the help, I am 44 in September and I know 45 is a age of concern. I will contact an agent and go from there. 

Actually, a much bigger problem is that Firefighter is NOT on any of the current occupation lists.  Paul Hand (who posted above) is a migration agent so he knows what he's talking about.   If your occupation is not on the lists, you cannot get a visa, and there's no way around that. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

No need to be sorry, I expected that. 

Don't suppose you are able to point me in the direction to see the list of careers that are on the list as I may have worked there In the passed 

Thanks Marc 

So the official list is at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list  .  You could also take a browse through https://www.anzscosearch.com/search/  which allows you to search more broadly and gives an idea of demand for certain roles.

I'm a volunteer firefighter and work semi-regulalry with Fire+Rescue NSW so know them and the processes pretty well.  Entry as a FireFighter is hyper competitive, annual recruitment round with the usual fitness and aptitude tests, interviews and so on but they have thousands of applicants for dozens of roles.  As such there is no 'economic demand' for migrants to fill the job, it is popular enough that plenty of Aussies will do it.  That said if you are more senior or were qualified to do managerial or strategic roles there might be other options where your UK experience would set you apart but securing a visa would be virtually impossible, even if you could find an employer.

Your secondary skills might give you a better chance.  Medical qualifications are in high demand so if you are a qualified Paramedic that would be a strong draw for an potential sponsoring employer.  Truck Drivers are eligible for DAMA and under that you would have a pathway to perm residence.  Age is much less of a hurdle there as well.  Again the issue would be proving that you are a genuine and professional truck driver.  As you know being a firefighter who drives a fire truck isn't the same as being a truckie who drives 8 hours a day and deals with all of the rigmarole around loads, fatigue regs and the like. 

Your best bet is to have a consult with a Migration Agent, see if your skills would match up and go from there

• Like 2