Transfer of Residence ToR Tax

CurrawongSong

Hi all

I've moved back and forth between Sydney and the UK a bit and am about to return to the UK in February. I will only have been here for 9 months this time and so have had my ToR application rejected for the first time. I've tried to have it reconsidered but it's not happening. I was wondering if anyone knows how much tax would be paid on a usual personal effects move, or how it's calculated?

Thanks in advance.

49 minutes ago, CurrawongSong said:

Hi all

I've moved back and forth between Sydney and the UK a bit and am about to return to the UK in February. I will only have been here for 9 months this time and so have had my ToR application rejected for the first time. I've tried to have it reconsidered but it's not happening. I was wondering if anyone knows how much tax would be paid on a usual personal effects move, or how it's calculated?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have to say moving back and forth like that sounds exhausting!!

I don’t think there is a flat rate, it depends on the goods I think.

HMRC have a helpline for TOR and I think an online chat assistant, which might be worth a shot. Wonder why they refused your TOR, maybe they think you are running an illegal import/export in single items of homeware!

Once you get through to HMRC I always find them really helpful.

Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CurrawongSong said:

Hi all

Thanks in advance.

The website clearly states:

To claim relief, you must satisfy all of the following criteria:

• you’ve been resident outside the UK for at least 12 consecutive months, prior to the date of moving to Great Britain or Northern Ireland

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-of-residence-to-great-britain#who-can-claim-relief

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The website clearly states:

To claim relief, you must satisfy all of the following criteria:

• you’ve been resident outside the UK for at least 12 consecutive months, prior to the date of moving to Great Britain or Northern Ireland

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-of-residence-to-great-britain#who-can-claim-relief

I wonder then whether he can apply a different route on the basis he only took his possessions out of the country temporarily?

Pay less import duty and VAT when re-importing goods to the UK - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Edited by Jon the Hat