When can I apply

sammy11480

Hi everyone 

We are a family of four and are PR. We have been in Oz for four years next January 2024.

I am wondering if we can apply now before the four years or if the application wouldn't be considered yet?

Also, interested to know the timeframe until we would be citizens.

Many thanks

Sam 😊 

You must have completed the full four years before you apply.  If you try too early the application will not let you proceed.

Some people who came and validated their visa and returned home before moving permanently can count the absence as the one year allowed outside Australia so may be able to apply after three years.

No idea how long is is taking these days. Ours took about 9 months from application to ceremony but that was a few years ago now.

You are not actually citizens until you attend a ceremony, after which you will need an Australian passport to re enter Australia as you no longer have a visa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. So helpful. 😊

I imagine then you have to provide evidence of when you actually arrived in Australia?

I wondered if they could take it from when the visa was granted, which in our case was April 2019. Or if the four years has to be taken from when you touch down on Aussie soil.

The reason I ask is I am eager to apply immediately as we need to leave Australia as soon as possible.

So if there was any way we could apply now, it would be great to know. We are only 4 months from the four years since we got here.

Thanks again!

Sam 

19 minutes ago, sammy11480 said:

I imagine then you have to provide evidence of when you actually arrived in Australia?

They know, it's on their records.  It's the date you first  arrived in Australia.   That's why the system won't allow you to proceed if you haven't reached the 4 year mark. 

Unfortunately you can't just submit your application for citizenship and then leave the country.  When you go overseas, they freeze the application.   So you have to wait until you're eligible to apply, then apply, then stay in Australia until you've had the citizenship ceremony and got the certificate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.

No I wasn't planning on leaving after the application but after we actually obtained citizenship. So just wanted to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible. 

I guess we just have to have patience until the four years are up.

Good to know where we stand. Thanks so much.

• Like 1

@sammy11480 one thing you're going to need is an Overseas penal clearance certificate (Police Certificate) from any country you have lived in for 12 months in the last 10 years, for anyone 17 and over. I assume that you lived in the UK before you moved to Australia, so you will need to obtain Police Certificates from the ACRO. This can take 4-6 weeks because even though you can apply online, they need to post the physical certificate to you from the UK - there is no digital alternative. If you want to speed up your application then I suggest applying for your Police Certificates now. They are valid for 12 months from the date of issue, so they will still be valid when you come to apply for citizenship next January. Hope this helps.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/character

https://acro.police.uk/s/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

@sammy11480 one thing you're going to need is an Overseas penal clearance certificate (Police Certificate) from any country you have lived in for 12 months in the last 10 years, for anyone 17 and over. I assume that you lived in the UK before you moved to Australia, so you will need to obtain Police Certificates from the ACRO. This can take 4-6 weeks because even though you can apply online, they need to post the physical certificate to you from the UK - there is no digital alternative. If you want to speed up your application then I suggest applying for your Police Certificates now. They are valid for 12 months from the date of issue, so they will still be valid when you come to apply for citizenship next January. Hope this helps.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/character

https://acro.police.uk/s/

Thank you very much for this. That's great advice and I will do this very soon. 

• Like 1

That isn’t quite right. It is only required  for citizenship if you have lived overseas since gaining your PR

. The Australian police check is done for you as part of the process.  After all you already had a police check to get your visa so no need to do another one for that timeframe. 

We did not need to do a UK check even though we had spent some time back in the UK on holiday before applying.  Our eldest son did as he went back to UK for over a year after validating before settling in Australia.

• Thanks 1

On 16/09/2023 at 09:30, rammygirl said:

That isn’t quite right. It is only required  for citizenship if you have lived overseas since gaining your PR

@sammy11480 rammygirl is correct. If you've only lived in Australia since gaining your PR then you don't need to obtain a Police Certificate (UK or Australian).

"My bad", as the young ones say!

• Like 1