Entering Aus on British Passport

cwh

Hi, i’m from the UK and i got my australian citizenship last year. In february of this year i went to australia for 3 months. I went on my british passport with my aus citizenship certificate. when i got to the desk in the UK they checked my certificate and rang someone to see if it was fine and it was, then when i landed in perth i was stopped at the passport area and they had to check if i was an australian citizenship but they didn’t need to see my certificate, the lady said it would be fine to enter again like this, just they may be some delays like that.

im moving to perth permanently in jan/feb next year for university and i’m concerned, some people have said i may not be able to enter without my australian passport as it’s a permanent 1 way ticket, do i need to get it or will i still be fine to get it when i get there next year…

You have plenty of time to get your passport, get on to it now and you will have it in good time.  The rules say that Australian citizens must travel on Australian passports so you were very lucky to get in last time but why risk it again when you are going to have to get an Australian passport anyway.  It'll mean an interview in London and you were a bit silly not to have renewed it when you were here for 3 months - it would have been cheaper but hindsight is perfect vision.  Get it now