When to engage Pet relocation service

Dominic Thompson

Hi there,

My family and I are currently looking to move to Australia but I have no job offer yet which we will need to be able to get a visa (too old for skilled migration !).  We would be hoping to take our 19 yo daughter and her 2 cats with us as she is hoping to study engineering out there at University and eventually settle and go for Aus citizenship.   I am wondering at what point do people start engaging a pet relocation service such as Pet Air when they have no real timetable for a move. 

If anyone has any idea or experience with this sort of thing any advice would be gratefully appreciated.  

(Note were advised as a starting point to get the cats rabies jabs and certs obtained which we have now done and told to keep them up to date which we will).

Kind regards

Dominic

How do you intend being able to stay in Australia long term if you are too old for a skilled visa? A short term sponsored visa will give you a few years but won’t lead to permanent residency if you can’t qualify because if age. 
You sound like you want the move to be permanent for you all that’s all. 

Edited by rammygirl

I would talk to a company like PetAir right now, to ask them how much notice they need.  They are restricted by the availability of quarantine spaces in Australia and the last time I heard, those were all booked out for months ahead.

The bigger question, as others have noted, is how on earth you plan to migrate if you are too old for a skilled visa.  

Hi there,

Thankyou for your replies.  A good question re the visa and permanence the honest answer is we're not sure if the move would be permanent for us (me and my wife) but would def get daughter established and well on a path to Aus citizenship.  She'd be able to get a student visa in her own right.  The cats are her cats so they can stay in Aus, with her once out there. 

Not sure what would happen to us later on and  we might only get afew years there while I was working but would be a change from the UK !.

Thanks will ask Pet Air...

21 hours ago, Dominic Thompson said:

Hi there,

My family and I are currently looking to move to Australia but I have no job offer yet which we will need to be able to get a visa (too old for skilled migration !).  We would be hoping to take our 19 yo daughter and her 2 cats with us as she is hoping to study engineering out there at University and eventually settle and go for Aus citizenship.   I am wondering at what point do people start engaging a pet relocation service such as Pet Air when they have no real timetable for a move. 

If anyone has any idea or experience with this sort of thing any advice would be gratefully appreciated.  

(Note were advised as a starting point to get the cats rabies jabs and certs obtained which we have now done and told to keep them up to date which we will).

Kind regards

Dominic

Hiya,

As others have suggested it's worth speaking to your preferred travel company early on (we're using PetAir and they've been great so far). The rabies thing is obvs key as you say as once they've had the jab you then need to have the bloods done (about 30 days later) to confirm that it's been effective and then from that point on you have to wait 180 days before they can travel. With the rule change this year the rabies certification only lasts for 12 months rather than 24 but that can be renewed without having to wait the 180 days again with bloods and a retest. Most of the vaccinations used are effective for 3 years I think. Once that's all sorted you crack on with the import permit and once you have that you can book them into quarantine. Definitely tricky when you're waiting for visa grants etc., but your travel company should outline everything clearly.

Hope that helps a bit 😊

Edited by Raplin45

3 hours ago, Dominic Thompson said:

Hi there,

Thankyou for your replies.  A good question re the visa and permanence the honest answer is we're not sure if the move would be permanent for us (me and my wife) but would def get daughter established and well on a path to Aus citizenship.  She'd be able to get a student visa in her own right.  The cats are her cats so they can stay in Aus, with her once out there. 

Not sure what would happen to us later on and  we might only get afew years there while I was working but would be a change from the UK !.

Thanks will ask Pet Air...

What ‘temporary’ visa are you looking to get for yourself.  Your daughter getting a student visa will certainly be a good start but please don’t think it automatically leads her to permanent residence as that’s not the case.  I honestly think you need to speak to a migrant agent to clarify what options you may have.   Best of luck.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dominic Thompson said:

A good question re the visa and permanence the honest answer is we're not sure if the move would be permanent for us (me and my wife) but would def get daughter established and well on a path to Aus citizenship.  She'd be able to get a student visa in her own right.  The cats are her cats so they can stay in Aus, with her once out there. 

Sadly you WILL only get a few years there, if you are over 45.  There aren't any other visa pathways that magically appear once you're in Australia.  For instance, it won't matter how much your employer wants to keep you, they're not allowed to sponsor you if you're over-age.  So don't sell everything up in the UK as you'll be returning.

There is a pathway for your daughter but a student visa is a very expensive way to do it.  We see a lot of Chinese students doing it, but they are the kids of rich parents.  There's full international fees, no benefits, and limited opportunity to do part-time work.  Then IF she's chosen an eligible course, she'll be able to transition to a Graduate visa, which will let her stay in Australia to gain work experience. Once she's completed that, she'd probably try for a TSS visa (as you're doing now), to build up her points so she can eventually apply for a skilled PR visa. As you know, that's a competitive process just like a job application -- there's a limited quota every year, and she can have all the skills and qualification necessary, but still get beaten by more experienced candidates.  If she gets through that hurdle, she can apply to be a citizen.  You can see that's a long pathway and there's no certainty she'll get PR at the end. She may just end up having built up a huge debt (or cost you a fortune) in fees.  

A better option would be for her to stay in the UK to do her degree, which will be far less costly and stressful.  Then she can come to Australia on a WHV (working holiday visa) for a couple of years.  Most people spend their WHV backpacking, but there's no reason you can't use it to work full-time in your chosen profession and gain Australian experience.  Both my nieces did.  Then she can go for a TSS, possibly with one of the employers she worked for during her WHV, and ultimately PR.  

Are you're thinking that eventually, she'll be able to apply to bring you out to live with her?  Think again.  Right now, the waiting time to get a contributory parent visa (which will cost you over $100,000) is at least 12 years. A government commission has recommended that fee should at least triple, so I wouldn't like to guess how much it would be by the time your daughter can sponsor you.  The non-contributory parent visa has a waiting time of over 30 years but that visa is likely to be deleted.  

Essentially, the Australian government would rather let a migrant go home than let them bring their parents over.  If you think about it, you've contributed taxes all your working life into the UK system so you're entitled to claim a pension and benefits.  If you move to Australia in your 50s or 60s, you'll work for only 5, 10 or 15 years before you're entitled to claim the same pension and benefits as an Australian for another 20 or 30 years.  It's costing the welfare system too much money. That's why the government is so reluctant to accept parents and it's only going to get more reluctant.

• Like 2