Moving with older children

KCart

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2023 at 10:53, Marisawright said:

Bulya moved in 1973!   The whole education system in both countries was very different 50 years ago, so I don't think you can draw any reassurance from that.

And it’s very different in every state/territory.  

Hi .we are in stage of partner visa submission .I have stalled a bit as i don’t want to do things too early .the plan is June/July 2024. I was just checking back on all of your helpful advice and I must have missed 1 positive post at the time about moving with teenagers and working in healthcare as an oldie !

If the 15 yr old now ( turns 16 May 2024) would he would go into year 10 midway through in July 2024.I wanted to know if he would be the oldest in his year? Also can he enrol in year 10 up to the january 2025 which would then be year 11? 

10 hours ago, KCart said:

Hi .we are in stage of partner visa submission .I have stalled a bit as i don’t want to do things too early .the plan is June/July 2024. I was just checking back on all of your helpful advice and I must have missed 1 positive post at the time about moving with teenagers and working in healthcare as an oldie !

If the 15 yr old now ( turns 16 May 2024) would he would go into year 10 midway through in July 2024.I wanted to know if he would be the oldest in his year? Also can he enrol in year 10 up to the january 2025 which would then be year 11? 

Rather depends on the state but he would be amongst the oldest but not the oldest. He can enrol in year 10 any time 2024. Kids generally start turning 16 in year 10 from about Feb/March onwards - in states where there is an April cut off, parents have often made the decision for the younger kids not to start school quite so early. Theoretically, though, you could have a kid in NSW who doesn't turn 15 until 31 July in year 10 in which case your son could be a year older than another kids.  It'd be lovely if all our states had the same cut off for school age kids but parents usually choose to allow their kids, especially the boys a bit more maturity when starting school. NSW is the most out of line of all the states, several are April 30 cut off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1