Return Resident Visa - name change

TiaCapan

Hi all

A friend has just applied for a return resident visa, and it was granted immediately which is great.

But she has changed her name since the original visa was granted and applied for this new RRV in her new name and supplied marriage certificate etc and passport in her married name.

The RRV has been granted in her maiden name.

Will this cause any issues? She needs to travel urgently, looking at booking to fly out in the next week. 

Or can she just take proof to the airport of name change i.e marriage certificate/copy of original visa?

Many thanks for any guidance 

1 hour ago, TiaCapan said:

Hi Westly,

thank you for your response, sorry I should have explained she’s a UK passport holder and had to send the old passport to HMPO. So won’t have it for travel. 

DIdn't they return it? They usually return the old one with the corner cut off

• Thanks 1

Her originals docs she sent haven’t been returned so far, her new passport came this week from the UK, about 14 weeks turnaround, after calling them several times a week to try to hurry it up due to needing to travel urgently, they just said they couldnt process it any quicker. Now she needs to fly out asap. Urgent family matter. 

Edited by TiaCapan

6 hours ago, TiaCapan said:

Her originals docs she sent haven’t been returned so far, her new passport came this week from the UK, about 14 weeks turnaround, after calling them several times a week to try to hurry it up due to needing to travel urgently, they just said they couldnt process it any quicker. Now she needs to fly out asap. Urgent family matter. 

The old one is usually returned within a couple of days of the new one - think mine was actually the very next day. Hope it arrives fast for you

ALWAYS keep colour scans of important documents and unimportant ones too.

Unless a client has instructed me to delete them after the statutory retention period (7 years) has elapsed I have on archive all client files and emails since 2003. It is amazing how many people lose their visa grant letter, marriage certificate, birth certificates... and want me to find them a decade or two later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wrussell said:

ALWAYS keep colour scans of important documents and unimportant ones too.

Unless a client has instructed me to delete them after the statutory retention period (7 years) has elapsed I have on archive all client files and emails since 2003. It is amazing how many people lose their visa grant letter, marriage certificate, birth certificates... and want me to find them a decade or two later.

Which country are you based in?

Just asking as I do this for a living (retention compliance) and if you are based in the UK or Australia your compliance requirement is to delete them after (3 years of completion in UK) or 6/7 years in AUS.

Keeping them longer breaks all sorts of acts and also nullifies you professional indemnity insurance should you be found to have negligently released conditional information that you should have deleted.

You might want to rethink your practices (or at least delete the email stating you do them on a public forum 😉 )

Edited by Ausvisitor

Your advice was no doubt well meant, but was incorrect all particulars.

Two clauses from my service agreement:

7. Unless you instruct us otherwise, we will not accept instructions in your case from a third party, we will not release any information about your case to a third party or discuss your case with a third party, except as required to perform the agreed services; for example we must
send information to the Department of Home Affairs to support a visa application. Unless you instruct us otherwise we will assume that we have your consent to discuss your case with a sponsor or nominator or prospective sponsor or nominator or a registered migration agent or
a legal professional such as an attorney or an accountant or your employer or former employers.

8. Upon your request, we will promptly return all documents we have that are your property to you. We would require you to pay a handling fee of $25 plus postage or courier fees, as applicable. We are required by migration law to keep migration files for seven years and by
taxation law to keep financial records for five years. After the statutory periods have elapsed we will not destroy your files unless instructed otherwise by you. Upon your request we will email you a copy of your lodged application/s.

*****************************************************************************************

Clause 8 is somewhat historical, because almost everything is now done online and original paper files are rarely called for.

BTW

My mandatory PII covers me for negligence and for negligence and/or dishonesty by an employee.

If you want to know what you are talking about, before you start talking (or writing) may I suggest that you familiarise yourself with that ludicrous document ' Migration Agents Code of Conduct' that can be found on the OMARA website?

I am about to feed my fish and my dog, take a shower, have a shave and waste the rest of the day on mandatory CPD.

Hint of the day:

A RMA might have, depending on the particulars of a case, a client's:  residential address, contact details, passport/s, marriage/s, divorce/s, adoptions, medical history, dependants, employment certifications, academic qualifications, other names used, parents details, immigration history, overseas travel, bank statements, birth certificate, PCC (criminal history clearance, or otherwise) languages spoken, English language ability, photo ID... and other information. More than their lawyer or GP, or any other party.

If you do not want a file hacked and improperly published put it 'on chip' (multiply redundant drives, not connected to the internet)