173 - Primary Applicant passed away

Garner

Greetings everyone,

My parents applied for the 173 VISA in 2016 and finally last week we got the email requesting Police and health checks.

This is where things get tricky.  Last year my father, the Primary applicant passed away.  I know I should have somehow communicated this to the Dept Home Affairs but didn’t.
My mother replied to last weeks email from the Dept Home Affairs advising of his death with the death certificate.  She also advised she will still continue with her application organising the Police and the health exam.

Today she has received a response email advising of the withdrawal of the VISA application.  Interestingly it is only addressed to my deceased Father and does not make any reference to my mother as the secondary applicant.

Does this mean, now the application has been withdrawn this also means my mother is withdrawn?  Or, will she get a further email confirming the change and request to continue with the Police and Health exam?

Any views or help with this situation are greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your loss. The good news is that as long as your mum meets the eligibility requirements, then she would effectively become the primary applicant. Once she has submitted police and health check documents, she will likely receive a request for further information (RFI) from DHA. So in essence, the application continues as your mum has now become the primary applicant. 

@wrussellyes, I was planning on doing this once my mothers VISA is through.

Another thing I'm not sure on.
The request checklist received asks for Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check along with local Police and Health exam.
Will my mum still need to complete an AFP NPC as it states the following-
"If you are 16 years old or above and have lived in Australia for a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years, you need to obtain an AFP National Police
Certificate "
She has not been in Australia over 12 months in the last 10 years.

Should I get her to complete the AFP NPC anyway?

17 hours ago, paulhand said:

It’s open to them to request it anyway. It’s $42 and done completely online, so, personally I’d just include it. 

We've done it for peace of mind.

Now having fun with ACRO for the UK Police and their online applications are suspended!