Buying a house as a new PR in NSW

Elaine N

Hi, we recently  got our 190 grant. We are looking to move to NSW. I’m just look at renting/buying at the moment.  I’ve read some where that you need to be living in NSW for at least 200 days before you can buy a house. Is that accurate?

thanks. 

6 hours ago, Elaine N said:

Hi, we recently  got our 190 grant. We are looking to move to NSW. I’m just look at renting/buying at the moment.  I’ve read some where that you need to be living in NSW for at least 200 days before you can buy a house. Is that accurate?

That's not true.  I'd say someone has got confused about what "legally resident" means.   Anyone can buy a house in Australia but if you're not legally resident, then you have to apply to FIRB for permission, and pay a big surcharge.  It won't affect you.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Elaine N said:

thanks. 

As far as I'm aware that 200 day rule only applies to New Zealanders on the 444 visa, so you should be fine.

Edit:  And if I remember correctly, that was just for the stamp duty surcharge anyway.  You'd still be able to buy a house, it would just be prohibitively expensive to do so.

But, yes, that's what you were reading about, I think.

Edited by GrandpaGrumble
  • Thanks 1

That said, if you need a mortgage you need to be in work and out of your probationary period to get a bank to listen to you 

Many Aussie corporates insist on the archaic concept of a 6 month probation period, so if you think of the fact the average house takes 42 days to close, it is actually 182 days from day one in your new job until past probation and then add on the 42 days to reach 224 days before you can buy with a mortgage 

• Like 1