Working experience before graduation

Caio

Hi guys, my employer is willing to sponsor me under the 186DE as Mechanical Engineer. 

However, I still don't have 3 years experience after finishing my degree. What I have is a 4 years experience as Mechanical Engineering Technician while I was taking my bachelors degree (I worked full time during day as technician and studied at night)

The question is:

Can I use my previous experience as Technician (before finishing my degree) to meet the 186DE requirements? 

1 hour ago, Caio said:

Hi guys, my employer is willing to sponsor me under the 186DE as Mechanical Engineer. 

However, I still don't have 3 years experience after finishing my degree.

Your employer is sponsoring you. They will hire a migration agent to handle their side of the application (which is much more complicated than your side).   The company shouldn't offer you the sponsorship unless they are satisfied you have the right qualifications and experience to get the visa.  So ask your employer.

53 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Your employer is sponsoring you. They will hire a migration agent to handle their side of the application (which is much more complicated than your side).   The company shouldn't offer you the sponsorship unless they are satisfied you have the right qualifications and experience to get the visa.  So ask your employer.

Sure! However, who mentioned about the sponsor was the PM, not the HR. 

Once the process goes to HR they will find out I'm not eligible because of the 3 years experience. So what I'm trying to do is put everything in order before the process goes to them.

14 minutes ago, Caio said:

Sure! However, who mentioned about the sponsor was the PM, not the HR. 

Once the process goes to HR they will find out I'm not eligible because of the 3 years experience. So what I'm trying to do is put everything in order before the process goes to them.

Ah, it's very often the case that the manager is keen, but it's not going to happen if you don't have the right qualifications and experience.

Generally speaking, any experience you get before you are qualified doesn't count, I'm afraid.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2022 at 10:48, Caio said:

However, I still don't have 3 years experience after finishing my degree. What I have is a 4 years experience as Mechanical Engineering Technician while I was taking my bachelors degree (I worked full time during day as technician and studied at night)

The question is:

Can I use my previous experience as Technician (before finishing my degree) to meet the 186DE requirements? 

Mechanical Engineering Technician and Mechanical Engineer are in separate ANZSCO groups and have different skill levels. 

Only "skilled" experience can be counted towards DE requirements. 

• Like 1

Agents who act for employers know which side their bread is buttered on and even if employers have the best will in the world (and not all do) it is a good idea for employees independently to consult a registered migration agent for a case assessment.  

• Like 1

I totally concur with Westley.

I have had many experiences of employees being "shepparded" by employers in a particular direction which 100% suited the employer.

Many employers love to retain the upper hand or power in the employer/employee relationship.

I can think of several instances where, upon fully investigating ALL their options with a migration agent, they and their families have taken a new pathway and are now on PR.

Previously, the had no idea these pathways existed and I suspect even though the employer would have been aware of alternative pathways, they would never have brought these to the employee's attention for fear of relinquishing employer control.

Just my opinion...  

• Like 2

You cannot do enough for a good boss and you cannot do enough for a bad one either!

In cases where I represent both, I advise prospective employers that if they have a conflict of interests with an employee, I shall continue to represent the best legitimate interests of the employee (visa applicant) or neither party. Similarly for other sponsored visas.

Some agents apply for 2-year 'work visas' rather than 4-year without advising visa applicants about the consequences for applying for PR via the 'transition' stream and some employers make promises about future prospects that they have no intention of honouring.

Even with all parties acting in good faith there could be a failure of business conditions that defeats the best laid plans. I believe that in such cases it would not hurt the immigration department to allow holders of temporary work visas to see out their remaining visa time in any job they can find.

I am in the process of applying for TSS visas for an employer who is quite desperate. The last time I applied for temporary work visas was in 2014.

On 21/07/2022 at 08:32, wrussell said:

Agents who act for employers know which side their bread is buttered on and even if employers have the best will in the world (and not all do) it is a good idea for employees independently to consult a registered migration agent for a case assessment.  

What I meant by my comment was that the employer won't proceed with the sponsorship anyway, if the agent tells them the candidate isn't eligible.  

By all means, if the OP wants to investigate his visa options then he should get his own agent.  If he only wants to know whether this particular sponsorship can proceed, then he might as well sit back and wait for the employer to work it out, since there's nothing he can do to magic more experience out of thin air.