Receiving money from overseas visitors

mvlm

Family is coming to Australia and they are struggling to get cash. Trying to find out whether there could be tax implications if they transfer the money to my bank account here in Australia and I withdraw the cash for them.

ATO website mentions gifts from family and donations but naturally, it won't cover this scenario since they should be declaring any money they are bringing to Australia.

16 minutes ago, mvlm said:

Family is coming to Australia and they are struggling to get cash. Trying to find out whether there could be tax implications if they transfer the money to my bank account here in Australia and I withdraw the cash for them.

ATO website mentions gifts from family and donations but naturally, it won't cover this scenario since they should be declaring any money they are bringing to Australia.

I think it would be pretty easy to prove the transaction - they send to you = digital trace - you withdraw and they give you a receipt.  In the unlikely event you get a tax audit.

Just now, Marisawright said:

Why do they need cash? They can use their cards here just as easily and also withdraw cash from Australian ATMs. Are they with a bank that charges high international fees? Get a travel card instead then

Correct, if they get a travel card, they pay an extra 7% every time they load money into it. If they use their own overseas credit card, they pay the same 7% plus whatever exchange rate the bank uses. They're just trying to save some money.

6 minutes ago, mvlm said:

Correct, if they get a travel card, they pay an extra 7% every time they load money into it. If they use their own overseas credit card, they pay the same 7% plus whatever exchange rate the bank uses. They're just trying to save some money.

Have rates gone mad?  That is insanely high.  Major banks used to be max 3%.