Arcadia53

On 04/08/2022 at 09:10, MARYROSE02 said:

Purple? Is that the West Coast Eagles' shirt colour!?!? Purple sounds suspiciously like the Freemantle Dockers? Not that you have to follow either. You can be "true" to your state or you can choose another team. In my case, despite them playing in "Gooner" red and white, I go for the Sydney Swans.

Of course Dockers, why would you support anyone else? Flagmantle!!

• Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 06:03, Arcadia53 said:

Brilliant thank you . Love this attitude . My wife did the ielts test yesterday and said it was hell on earth. The lady who ran it was a kiwi who was asking my wife why we would want to move to oz and in particular Perth haha 

Well there's a lot of Kiwi's here! IELTS isn't fun, I don't know anyone who enjoys it, just part of the process I'm afraid!

23 hours ago, benj1980 said:

Of course Dockers, why would you support anyone else? Flagmantle!!

I don't follow either and when I was over there I was interested to note that, whilst the Sandgropers might talk disparagingly about "The Eastern States", when one of their AFL clubs was playing a Melbourne team, there was no WA solidarity. If the Dockers were playing them then the Eagles supported the Melbourne team, and vice versa.

Strangely, for me, I used to hate the Giants (I like the Swans) but now I think of them as my second or third team. I have a soft spot for Carlton as I liked John Elliot.

18 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I don't follow either and when I was over there I was interested to note that, whilst the Sandgropers might talk disparagingly about "The Eastern States", when one of their AFL clubs was playing a Melbourne team, there was no WA solidarity. If the Dockers were playing them then the Eagles supported the Melbourne team, and vice versa.

Strangely, for me, I used to hate the Giants (I like the Swans) but now I think of them as my second or third team. I have a soft spot for Carlton as I liked John Elliot.

But that's not any different from the UK. A Man City supporter is always going to support whoever is playing Man United (and vice versa). A Chelsea fan is always going to support whoever is playing Arsenal (and vice versa). Inter-club rivalry always trumps regional/city loyalty.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I went from Carlton to Swans and now daughter has me interested in GWS.  

On 17/08/2022 at 21:54, Bulya said:

I went from Carlton to Swans and now daughter has me interested in GWS.  

I didnt like the Giants at first but now I've got them as my second team. I have a soft spot for Carlton too. I felt sorry for them yesterday losing by a point to Collingwood.

With the help of blokes in the Surf Club in Surfers I put my first bet on since the Melbourne Cup on Melbourne Storm, Sydney Swans and Tottenham to win their three games. It came thru too, just, and I won $15.10 for my $5 stake. One of the other bloke put $50 on the same bet.

On 17/08/2022 at 16:19, Ken said:

But that's not any different from the UK. A Man City supporter is always going to support whoever is playing Man United (and vice versa). A Chelsea fan is always going to support whoever is playing Arsenal (and vice versa). Inter-club rivalry always trumps regional/city loyalty.

That's true but in the case of WA there is also the "us and them" situation with "them" being "The Eastern States" - remember McGowan closing WA for so long during the pandemic? I thought perhaps they might show some solidarity but footy rivalry trumps state rivalry.

Then there's the situation where your state rival is playing a club which you hate even more. "Everybody hates Collingwood" I've heard more than once. A bit like "Who does a Man Utd fan want to lose more when Man City play Liverpool?" When Arsenal play Chelsea I want them both to lose but I'll go for the result that most favours Spurs.

There's a similar attitude in QLD towards the southern states. I must ask some of the blokes I know who support the QLD NRL teams who they go for if one of their state rivals are playing a NSW club. I already know how they feel in State of Origin - more important to beat NSW than England in The Ashes.