What would you say is an average summer temp overnight in Melbourne/Mornington?

AnxiousMum

Hi,

Just wondered what the average temparature overnight is in Melbourne and same for Mornington (obviously more coastal). At the moment in England the temp overnight is barmy, I realise we dont have air conditioning here, and would most certainly have it over in OZ, but we have a child with Ashma and I dont think keeping the air con on overnight is good for him.

So thought I would ask the question. Anyone who can advise? Interested in both summer temps and winter.

Wouldnt mind the average during day for both too if you have time to type all this for me? xxxx

Guest Pinhead

The temperature in Melbourne is very changeable, in the Summer you can have one day at 40c and the next at 20c. Average (max) day temperture during the Summer would be around 25c and 12c in the Winter.

I can never sleep with air con on so what I do is put it on full with all the doors closed in the bedroom an hour as so before going to bed and then switch it off when you go to sleep.

Usually that keeps the bedroom at a comfortable temperature until the morning.

A lot of houses have water cooled air conditioning where you leave the windows ajar when its on and this would probably be better for an asthmatic, my daughter has everything and asthma is a another problem and when she was little we used to put turn the shower on for her to breathe.

When its hot here its usually hot overnight but in Mornington and the Peninsula we are between the two bays so usually get a sea breeze at night and its cooler than in Melbourne itself.

We do not have our aircon on at night unless its extremely hot and then switch it off before we sleep. Open the windows and let the breeze in.

:smile:

Hi Forgetmenot. Thanks for telling me. Arent you worried about spiders getting in if you leave windows open a bit?

Most of the houses here have mosquito screens on windows and doors so windows being open isnt an issue with spiders ect if the mossys can't get in them

Guest jonseywife

Hi anxious Mum

Here in Mornington/Mount Martha the heat at night is'nt normally a problem. Except New years eve when it was about 28 still at midnight (mind you, its was in the 40's during the day !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

My daughter has asthma and it has definately improved since we have been here. We've had our first winter here now and normally in the UK she gets lots of colds and it sets her asthma off. Also in the UK it seems to be dull, damp and overcast most of the winter, but here the sun shines still most days (although the temp is low and its a bit fresh!!!) so you still need your sunnies in winter here!!!!

I would'nt recommend staying in Singapore on the wasy over if you have asthma...... my daughter could hardly breath while we was there, its soooooo humid!!!!

You can also buy the blue puffers in the chemist, over the counter without a prescription.

Dont worry to much........

Sally-ann

Guest Hello Kitty

Actually it was still 40 degrees at midnight on last New Years Eve, we went for a swim in the pool and the beach was full of people.

If you are in a single storey house you can get by with not having the aircon on at night on those really hot nights but if you are in 2 storey house then it stays hotter - well it does in our house so we leave the air con on its lowest setting. I hate having it on but sometimes it is too hot not too.

Night time temps in Melbourne is summer can vary from a pleasant 15 degrees to 30 degrees. Daytime can be 20 degrees to 40 degrees. Summer tends to follow patterns - starts of mild then progressively gets hotter until there are 2 or 3 really hot days in the high 30's then a cool change and back down to low twenties then starts all over again.

We are near the beach and often get a cooler afternoon breeze which is nice.

Guest earlswood
Thanks for help pinhead. Do you know average temp at night too?

Do not belive these goggled min and max temp,s as you have to take all sorts of things into consideratio,e.g wind direction humidity etc etc...listen to the people that actually feel it every night....people who live there.

Guest Pinhead

Earlswood the king of the Ggoogle!

Weren't you the one quoting rainfall levels in Perth from a google search and the expecting everyone to believe you?

By the way those temperatures aren't from Google. I've lived in Melbourne, you haven't.

Guest earlswood
Earlswood the king of the Ggoogle!

Weren't you the one quoting rainfall levels in Perth from a google search and the expecting everyone to believe you?

By the way those temperatures aren't from Google. I've lived in Melbourne, you haven't.

The amount of Rainfall that falls is a fact.....what a place feels like temperature wise is is a broad blanket with lot's of different factors to take into consideration….the only people who can give real advice ARE the people who live in Melbourne and experience it every night, same as people who live here evry day doing the shopping paying the bills eating and drinking out….those are the real statistics….not a goggled very inaccurate poll that does not LIVE IT.

Guest Pinhead

Who said anything about the feel of temperatures?

Temperatures are recorded by all sorts of bodies that everyone relies on as being accurate. Temperatures are facts too or do you think they are made up?

Or are you saying you have a thermometer in your house that your're taking down readings on that are more accurate the the weather bureaus?

Besides you're not in Melbourne and you've never lived there!

So get off your high horse.

Guest earlswood
Who said anything about the feel of temperatures?

Temperatures are recorded by all sorts of bodies that everyone relies on as being accurate. Temperatures are facts too or do you think they are made up?

Or are you saying you have a thermometer in your house that your're taking down readings on that are more accurate the the weather bureaus?

Besides you're not in Melbourne and you've never lived there!

So get off your high horse.

God. :arghh:..temp has only one part to play in the actual feeling... feeling the humidity and comfort level at night can only be experienced by people who live in that particular place…published temps Do NOT tell you what it feels like…it can be high temperature and feel quite cool sometimes and visa versa…..the people of Melbourne can give the REAL feel.

Guest Pinhead

The OP was asking about temperatures in Melbourne not the feel.

Why are you even reading & commenting on this thread when you've never been to Melbourne?

I can't be bothered with your intentionally, trouble making posts anymore Earlswood.

Good luck with your sad life in Perth.

God look what my innocent little thread has created!!!!

Anyway back to me. Glad to hear that Joneywife (think thats right) said her daughters asthma got better. My 7 year old is the same when winter is hear he gets all the colds are they make him much worse.

Thanks for all the replies.

In Melbourne there are typically a dozen day’s in the year when the temp get close to 40 deg .

Which is too hot for most people with night-time temp 25 deg with the occasional night at 30 deg.

I have been staying in a place with no air conditioning there have been perhaps no more than a dozen day’s were i wished for air conditioning.

The rest of the summer the temp is a more bearable day time max temp of 17 to 30 deg.

Guest earlswood
The OP was asking about temperatures in Melbourne not the feel.

Why are you even reading & commenting on this thread when you've never been to Melbourne?

I can't be bothered with your intentionally, trouble making posts anymore Earlswood.

Good luck with your sad life in Perth.

Jesus…calm down....you are one sad angry man….I said “the people who live in Melbourne will give you “the feel” of what it is like at night for an asthmatic as a lot has to be taken into consideration like humidity dew point etc….please try and “calm down” Pinhead…you are looking very silly these days.

jesus…calm down....you are one sad angry man….i said “the people who live in melbourne will give you “the feel” of what it is like at night for an asthmatic as a lot has to be taken into consideration like humidity dew point etc….please try and “calm down” pinhead…you are looking very silly these days.

have to disagree with that statement earls ....its you who is starting to look silly !!!!!!!!!!!! You continuely interupt other peoples threads with your tripe that has no bearing on the original question ...why cant you stick to your own threads and leave the rest to people who actually have experienced these matters !!!!!!!!!!

mrs keily

ps ...sorry to go of the subject

Guest Steve&Mandy

here here julie well said now butt out earswood or youll be messing with the dormouse and that wont be good for you.

Archived