Northern Rivers

Cobs_Ahoy

We've spent a lot of time up there - most recently six months in late 2019. Lismore is currently almost destroyed by the latest floods, Ballina also suffered badly.

To my mind Ballina is much the nicest of the three big towns. On the coast, good shops and facilities and an excellent road north to the Gold Coast which is just over an hour away. Lots of retirees, definitely not a poor area. Just to the north is the super-trendy Byron Shire. Very popular beach town, with extortionate housing costs in town and in the hills around. Absolutely stunning scenery in the area with a lot of old-style hippies living in the hills to the west. Has lots of excellent, huge general and farmers markets weekly in the various towns around. Inland areas are quite alternative, coastal more mainstream. Northern Rivers is well-known as the anti-vax capital of NSW. 

Ballina shire is a brilliant place to live if you don't want the big city thing (and can avoid flood-prone areas). People are friendly and there's plenty to do. Medical facilities are very good for a regional area. Proximity to the Gold Coast means that you're close to major shopping if that's what you need. Only downside is public transport is very lacking so you're reliant on your car.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Hi all,

I’ve been invited to apply for a 491 visa by the Northern Rivers RDA, has anyone got any experience of the towns in this region? 

Cheers!

Alstonville is worth considering, I have family there and it seems a friendly small town, also Lennox Head, but it’s quite pricey  now. The countryside is lovely in that area.

Thanks @NickyNook and @ramot that's really helpful, I'll have a look into the areas you've both mentioned. From watching some youtube videos on Nimbin I'm having flashbacks to when I lived in the South West and we used to go Glastonbury, very surreal!

Does anyone have any personal experience with primary schools? I know its a very personal choice in so far as different children/parents want different things from schools, but its always helpful to hear the first hand experiences of others. 

40 minutes ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Thanks @NickyNook and @ramot that's really helpful, I'll have a look into the areas you've both mentioned. From watching some youtube videos on Nimbin I'm having flashbacks to when I lived in the South West and we used to go Glastonbury, very surreal!

Does anyone have any personal experience with primary schools? I know its a very personal choice in so far as different children/parents want different things from schools, but its always helpful to hear the first hand experiences of others. 

my cousins 3 children went to the Catholic school in Alstonville and then on to university and good jobs. They have all traveled extensively, and my niece worked in London for Deloitte’s. They never seemed bored growing up there, all the usual activities are available but would have gone to Ballina I’m sure for the cinema, more likely to Lennox though for the beach and surfing. I’ll ask them one day if they felt they missed out not living in Ballina, but I know my cousin has loved living there, from the 1990’s when she moved there from Zambia, had her children there and made great friends. Sometimes a smaller community has a lot to offer.

ps don’t eat the cakes if you go to Nimbin!!!!

Edited by ramot
  • Haha 1

I’d love to know if the pelican man is still in Ballina. He used to feed the pelicans, attracting a big mob of them, then throw himself into the water, boots and all, to catch the sick ones so he could treat them (things like removing fish hooks)

Edited by Marisawright

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I’d love to know if the pelican man is still in Ballina. He used to feed the pelicans, attracting a big mob of them, then throw himself into the water, boots and all, to catch the sick ones so he could treat them (things like removing fish hooks)

Think he died in 2007 according to google. Have you heard about ‘the Twinnies Pelican and Seabird Rescue on Steve Irwin Way Landsborough the Sunshine Coast ? They do a fantastic job, they are identical twins, who speak in absolute complete unison almost all the time, 

sorry won’t go off thread again

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ramot said:

my cousins 3 children went to the Catholic school in Alstonville and then on to university and good jobs. They have all traveled extensively, and my niece worked in London for Deloitte’s. They never seemed bored growing up there, all the usual activities are available but would have gone to Ballina I’m sure for the cinema, more likely to Lennox though for the beach and surfing. I’ll ask them one day if they felt they missed out not living in Ballina, but I know my cousin has loved living there, from the 1990’s when she moved there from Zambia, had her children there and made great friends. Sometimes a smaller community has a lot to offer.

My cousins 2 granddaughters go to Primary school in Lennox, and what I love about them is that they aren’t too grown up for their ages, 11 and 9. They go to circus school in Byron, can’t believe what skillls they have, well into surfing and touch football? love craft work so a good balance mix. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ramot said:

I watched a video on the Nimbin 'Mardi Grass' last night, it was hilarious, reminded me of Leamington Spa Peace Festival.

Alstonville sounds great, very much what we are looking for, will add to the list of youtube drive around videos that I seem to spend my evening watching......