ALL The Paperwork

Kiwimel123

Hi,

During my "big sort" Ive uncovered  so much paperwork.  I really need to sit down and go through it but we are running out of time.  20 years work of London family life is overwhelming on top of a relocation!

I wondered if any of you would mind sharing your approaches with this?  I had considered buying a scanner and shredder and taking it with me but Im also very much considering popping it all in a plastic box and doing it once my stuff arrives in Australia!  

Thoughts?  We have 8 weeks before departure still have removals to arrange and a flat to rent out as well as normal family life.

Thanks

Mel

I tend not to keep any paperwork unless absolutely essential to keep.

I shred everything. All bank statements, bills, Tax office stuff, Rates etc is all available online.

If someone breaks in losing personal information is very risky.

Why have you kept all that paperwork?

You've got to pick it up to pack it, anyway.  

When packing, always have two boxes in front of you.  As you pack, put the "to be shredded" stuff in one box and the "keep" stuff in the other box.   Make sure you label them clearly!   You might use old boxes for the shredding and proper removalist boxes for the stuff you need to keep.

You only have to keep tax records for the last 5 years, so if you pick up a folder or file of tax stuff earlier than that, the whole thing can go straight in the "to be shredded" box. No need to scan anything.  

There is absolutely no reason to keep any domestic bills - electricity, water, mortgage, gas, rates, whatever - once they are paid.  Chuck them.  Same with bank and credit card statements - in the very unlikely event you ever need a copy, you can get one from the bank. All go in the "to be shredded" box, no need to take copies.

The important thing is not to let yourself be tempted to sort through stuff out of curiosity.  Be ruthless!

What other paperwork have you kept?  

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all your responses.  Its so much I feel overwhelmed.  Not so much utility bills etc My husband is a sensitive soul and keeps every tickets stub, concert ticket, birthday card and if I try to get rid of it he would be devastated.  This move is already so big for him - Im moving home and he is the one relocating.  He lost his dad in November which has meant everything has become a bit heightened.

Guest AltyMatt

Unless you are worried about storage space I would suggest you bring all the sentimental paperwork. Scans of memorabilia really aren't the same

Moving and bereavement are both highly stressful things. I would tread gently with his stuff tbh, he might come to resent you for persuading him to throw stuff out at this point. Sentimental things especially.

I am pretty ruthless but not everyone is you do need to respect that. Unless of course it gets out of hand and hoarding is a real problem I think a few boxes of stuff in the loft is no biggie. Of course you pay for removals but …..

• Like 1

How lovely is this little community?  Thank you all for your kind words.  I just called PSS to start the process of removal quotes.  They were so kind and suggested to leave these types of things and that the packers will bundle it all up and we can sort it all in our own time when we are in Australia.  Either way, its gonna be a tough task.  Its definitely not hoarder levels but I can already tell it'll be a rollercoaster and Id really rather not push him too hard.

I am usually VERY ruthless and am having to remind myself to tread lightly.  Its not my dad and I have never experienced loss like that before and am learning as I go along.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kiwimel123 said:

.  Its definitely not hoarder levels but....

it is hoarder behaviour though, and that means it would be very, very stressful to push him even a little about it.   He may never be able to let it go.  Just pack it all in boxes and worry about it much, much later once he feels settled and happy in his new home.

• Like 1