Any teachers moving over?!

benj1980

Hey there.

This thread is pretty old but I'm hoping you can help me out a little bit.

Is there still a struggle to obtain teachers in schools in WA? My husband is an Indian citizen but is completing his PGCE in the UK. We wanna apply for the skilled migrant visa on completion of his course.

Do you know if it's necessary for teachers to have 'work experience' in order to get the visa, or can he apply as a 'fresher' so to speak. Even though he will have been in a school setting for the 4 year duration of his course, I guess it doesn't count as work. 

Id appreciate your help so much as I'm unable to find an answer anywhere. Cheers! :)

1 hour ago, Rosie P said:

Hey there.

This thread is pretty old but I'm hoping you can help me out a little bit.

Is there still a struggle to obtain teachers in schools in WA? My husband is an Indian citizen but is completing his PGCE in the UK. We wanna apply for the skilled migrant visa on completion of his course.

Do you know if it's necessary for teachers to have 'work experience' in order to get the visa, or can he apply as a 'fresher' so to speak. Even though he will have been in a school setting for the 4 year duration of his course, I guess it doesn't count as work. 

Id appreciate your help so much as I'm unable to find an answer anywhere. Cheers! 🙂

Experience can help with points in your designated occupation but in terms of being registered to teach in WA, no problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2024 at 14:38, benj1980 said:

Just re-reading this. Impressive to get a successful AITSL assessment. What did you need to notary signature for? And yes we are both in the wrong business!

I'm not 100% sure why I needed a notary signature, it was suggested by my migration agent to support my application, essentially just said these are the modules I did at university, these are the ones that were accredited by the university and how they met the standards, screenshots of the module handbook etc. Basically, proving my SCITT was the same level as a straight PGCE approach. 

10 hours ago, Haydn Drake said:

I'm not 100% sure why I needed a notary signature

It's pretty normal in Australia to require that copies of official documents are checked by an independent authority, who then certifies them as a true copy of the original.  Also a statutory declaration isn't valid in Australia unless it's been witnessed by an appropriate independent authority

It's much easier within Australia, because we have a system of JPs (Justices of the Peace), who certify documents and stat decs for free.   

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 00:34, Rosie P said:

No, I'm afraid it doesn't count as work.   In general, you can't count any work experience that you did before you were fully-qualified.  

I should point out that only one of you needs to qualify for a skilled migrant visa, then the other person is just added to the application, in case that helps.

On 16/02/2024 at 01:18, Haydn Drake said:

I'm not 100% sure why I needed a notary signature, it was suggested by my migration agent to support my application, essentially just said these are the modules I did at university, these are the ones that were accredited by the university and how they met the standards, screenshots of the module handbook etc. Basically, proving my SCITT was the same level as a straight PGCE approach. 

Interesting, I haven't heard of that being acceptable before. I wonder if there is a softening of stance from AITSL?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all.

Sorry to jump in to add to this older thread. I'm a 32 year old Biology/Science teacher currently working and living in Scotland with 5 years experience but feeling like it's time for a change.
Having searched through various countries and then states, I was thinkin WA seems like possibly the best fit for me. I'd be doing this totally on my own and I was wondering if anyone else here had done the same and what my chances of being successful and getting permanent work or just generally jobs was like in my subject. Obviously being a scientist I tend to overthink everything and I don't want to talk myself out of it before I really get started. Thanks in advance!

On 26/02/2024 at 17:00, KarenC said:

Morning all.

Sorry to jump in to add to this older thread. I'm a 32 year old Biology/Science teacher currently working and living in Scotland with 5 years experience but feeling like it's time for a change.
Having searched through various countries and then states, I was thinkin WA seems like possibly the best fit for me. I'd be doing this totally on my own and I was wondering if anyone else here had done the same and what my chances of being successful and getting permanent work or just generally jobs was like in my subject. Obviously being a scientist I tend to overthink everything and I don't want to talk myself out of it before I really get started. Thanks in advance!

You would obtain work when registered no problem. There's a shortage of teachers. You would have to decide on type of visa that you wish to acquire. 189 permanent visa has the most paperwork but arguably the best visa. However if it is just you, you could come over on a 482 temporary visa which the education department are sponsoring there's a pathway to permanency. 

UK, Ireland, Canada and South Africa qualified teachers - Department of Education

On 26/02/2024 at 20:00, KarenC said:

I'm a 32 year old Biology/Science teacher...

I was wondering if anyone else here had done the same and what my chances of being successful and getting permanent work or just generally jobs was like in my subject. 

I agree with Benj, you'll have no trouble finding work once you're registered (all teachers in Australia have to be registered with the relevant authority).  The main hurdle is getting a visa.  You can't work in Australia until you've got a visa.

You have two choices. You can apply for a permanent visa in your own right (a 189 or 190).  That's a long-drawn out process, and you'll have to wait until you've got the visa before you can even start applying for jobs.  The benefit is that once you've got the visa, you are a permanent resident and can work anywhere in Australia without restriction.

OR you can find an employer willing to sponsor you for a temporary visa (a 482).  Again I agree with Benj, I think that would be perfect for you.  The employer will pay some of your relocation expenses and help organise the visa, and of course, you'll have a job as soon as you arrive.  It's much faster and easier than getting a permanent visa.  It gives you a chance to try Australia out, then you can always apply for a permanent visa if you decide to stay. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I know this is an old post but I was hoping to see if any questions could be answers. I have recently applied for the International Teaching Pool and was successful getting accepted into it. I have spoke to a couple of their advisers who said that there are more and more Phys Ed jobs coming available. Is this the case? I am looking at moving out with my partner and our three young children to the south west region. However, we are open to other regions if the right opportunity came up. Is there any regions which you would recommended more than others? Thanks