Shipping a car

DrDougster

On 14/03/2022 at 06:20, DrDougster said:

I emailed Iron Lady a few weeks ago and no response. Are they still in business? Any other recommendations for car shipping?

Yes they are, brought mine over with them in October.  There is a phone number on the website, give Kristian a call.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've requested a quote from Iron Lady. Their website estimates seem very reasonable compared with the cost of pets and containers!

I presume people think it's worth it to ship their vehicles.  Ours is fairly new and would be nice not to have the hassle alone of shopping for a replacement. 

3 hours ago, laf said:

I've requested a quote from Iron Lady. Their website estimates seem very reasonable compared with the cost of pets and containers!

I presume people think it's worth it to ship their vehicles.  Ours is fairly new and would be nice not to have the hassle alone of shopping for a replacement. 

Actually it's the opposite.  Most people find it's not worth shipping their vehicles.   Shipping goes by size, so in general, the bigger something is, the more expensive it is to transport and so it becomes less worthwhile to ship it.  

Of  course, cars are a high value item so it can be worthwhile, but you also have to check whether it will need expensive modifications to meet Australian requirements, and also whether you'll be able to get parts and service if your model isn't sold in Australia.  Iron Lady will let you know.

On 14/03/2022 at 08:50, DrDougster said:

I emailed Iron Lady a few weeks ago and no response. Are they still in business? Any other recommendations for car shipping?

My apologies, I have been under the pump lately and have probably missed a few. Feel free to message me here and I will go back and find your enquiry.

We have had numerous issues recently with a different area of the importing regulations, which ended with a threat of legal action against the federal government to compensate for loss of income, then subsequently an amedment to the legislation to try and fix it. A good win for the industry, but a huge 'time soak' from my side!

Not sure if any of you are interested, but media articles below.

https://premium.goauto.com.au/vehicle-importers-threaten-to-sue-feds/

https://premium.goauto.com.au/imported-car-delays-to-be-fixed/

• Like 1