Removals on an 870 visa

jeanhob

hello everyone. 
we have applied for out 143 which will be many years before it’s granted so are co side ring going to Melbourne on an 870. My question is can you organise removals on an 870. Doree Bonner said you can send things on a temporary visa? Has anyone done this or can give us any advise please? 

I wasn't on a temporary visa so don't have personal experience, but the rules on Unaccompanied Personal Effects appear to allow anyone (including tourists) to import "Fur apparel, personal effects, furniture and household goods not covered above" provided they've owned and used them for at least 12 months before departing for Australia.

The items that are "covered above" and which only Permanent Residents can bring in as UPE are: "Personal clothing and footwear, hygiene articles and personal grooming products. Not fur apparel or perfume concentrates" regardless of how long they've owned them; "Non-motorised caravans and trailers, and boats designed for use in sheltered waters for sport or recreation which conform to published specifications (other conditions apply)" provided they've owned and used them for at least 12 months before departing for Australia; "Aircraft of all types, not having more than one propulsion motor (other conditions apply)" provided they've owned and used them for at least 6 months before departing for Australia; and "Machinery, plant and equipment (other conditions apply)" provided they've owned and used them for at least 12 months before departing for Australia.

There's also a list that are never eligible for the UPE duty exemptions: Motor Vehicles; Motor Vehicle Parts; Commercial Goods; Bequeathed Goods; Items purchased over the Internet after arriving in Australia; Items belonging to another person who is not entitled to the concession; tobacco and tobacco products; and alcoholic beverages.

See Unaccompanied Personal Effects (abf.gov.au) for the full details.

The only thing that seems weird is that this suggests that temporary resident would have to pay duties on clothing and footwear in their shipments yet I've never heard of anyone coming on a temporary visa complaining about having to do that.

• Like 2

Thankyou Ken. Seems strange doesn’t it. If you ate moving somewhere for possibly 10 years with the intention to stay having applied for a 143 it seems strange that you have to pay duty on your personal items. There must be many people who have movers o erseas, albeit temporary who have taken containers of stuff with them.

1 hour ago, jeanhob said:

Thankyou Ken. Seems strange doesn’t it. If you ate moving somewhere for possibly 10 years with the intention to stay having applied for a 143 it seems strange that you have to pay duty on your personal items. There must be many people who have movers o erseas, albeit temporary who have taken containers of stuff with them.

Well your personal effects, furniture and household goods appear to be OK - but not your clothing and footwear (unless it's fur apparel). But as I said I didn't come on a temporary visa so I'm hoping someone who did can comment from personal experience.

9 hours ago, jeanhob said:

Most temporary visas are for only a few years with no guarantee you’ll get a renewal and little chance of permanency, so temp visa holders are much more likely to let out their home in the UK furnished, or put stuff in storage, or sell up and travel light. The temp parent visas are quite a new thing. 

Edited by Marisawright

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Most temporary visas are for only a few years with no guarantee you’ll get a renewal and little chance of permanency, so temp visa holders are much more likely to let out their home in the UK furnished, or put stuff in storage, or sell up and travel light. The temp parent visas are quite a new thing. 

Also, I thought you had to leave Australia for a certain number of months in between the 1st 870 ending and the 2nd one starting, so people might want /need somewhere to return to for that time. It might be 6 months so not an inconsiderable amount of time that you’d need possessions and a home.  🤷‍♂️

On 16/02/2022 at 15:32, Amber Snowball said:

Also, I thought you had to leave Australia for a certain number of months in between the 1st 870 ending and the 2nd one starting, so people might want /need somewhere to return to for that time. It might be 6 months so not an inconsiderable amount of time that you’d need possessions and a home.  🤷‍♂️

I didn't know what a 870 visa was so looked it up.

From the about this visa section it states "This is a temporary visa. This visa does not lead to permanent residence. You cannot apply for a permanent or temporary parent visa when you have applied for or hold this visa." I'm not sure if it's still OK to apply after the 143 application without jeopardising the 143.

1 hour ago, welljock said:

I didn't know what a 870 visa was so looked it up.

From the about this visa section it states "This is a temporary visa. This visa does not lead to permanent residence. You cannot apply for a permanent or temporary parent visa when you have applied for or hold this visa." I'm not sure if it's still OK to apply after the 143 application without jeopardising the 143.

I think it’s a visa you apply for after you apply for the 143. It means people can’t come on a 10 year visa and then get a bridging visa. From memory it was created especially for parents who will have a long wait for a permanent offshore visa. There’s lots of discussion on here about them, so a quick search will bring up lots of solid information from people with greater knowledge than me! 😅