What do I need to know?

Polo95

Hi all, 

Hope this is in the right place, first time writing on a forum. 

I am moving to Australia in April, I have never been before and don't know anyone out there. I have a 417 visa for now but am in the process of getting a PR visa. 

I would like some tips/advice/general information about what I should know before moving out there - medicare, banks, renting, driver license, registering with the nursing and midwifery board out there, etc. basically anything anyone can offer me. The only thing I have booked is my flight from Heathrow to Sydney with a short stopover in Singapore, aside from this I have nothing booked. I'd like to stay in Sydney for a week or two, have a gander and get a little grounded before moving up the coast to Brisbane/Gold Coast area. I am independent and work full time in the UK, I am confident in moving around the UK and have rented for the past 9 years in various areas, it just all seems so different to the UK thought I know it can't be terrible because so many people love it. 

Ta all! 

Book an Airbnb or a holiday let for 4 weeks to give you time to get set up. Or look at a backpackers or YHA hostel - some have private rooms.

Renting is much the same as the UK - go and inspect places, apply, pay a bond and a month in advance. You can open a HSBC account from the UK. 

Registration is a big thing and takes several weeks, so unless you’re happy to spend your first couple of months holidaying, get the process started ASAP. 

5 minutes ago, karolkaz said:

Also interested in this topic, specifically the housing situation. What website of platform would you recommend to look at for flat rent? I know some people contact AirBnb listing owners and negotiate rent terms of-platform, but I would want to have more options than that.

Most people book a furnished holiday let or Air BnB for their first few weeks , so googling holiday lets in the area you are interested in will open up lots of options for you. Stayz is another website often used for short term accommodation.

For longer term (normally unfurnished) rentals websites like Realestate.com or Domain will give you a good guide to whats available and costs. Competition is pretty fierce in lots of States at the moment so well worth researching in the area you are interested in.

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2022 at 03:24, Polo95 said:

The only thing I have booked is my flight from Heathrow to Sydney with a short stopover in Singapore, aside from this I have nothing booked.

I once arrived in Sydney in the middle of some sort of festival, and found it really hard to get decent accommodation. Ended up in a dodgy flea bitten hovel hostel in Chinatown. Therefore, I suggest at the very least book some accommodation before you arrive. The YHA in Cumberland Street in The Rocks is nice and reasonably cheap. It is 20 minutes on the train from the International Airport to Circular Quay, and then a 10 minute walk to the YHA. You will need to purchase a $20.00 OPAL CARD from a newsagents in the airport, as it is the only way to travel on public transport. You keep the card and top it up with money either via an app on your mobile phone, or at a newsagents, or at the train station.