UK SPOUSE VISA

LincolnH

Hi,

We are attempting to move back to the UK again after our 2020 move got cancelled due to Covid.  I am English and although both my children were born in Melbourne they have UK passports now.  My partner however is Australian and holds both Aus and Maltese passports.  From what i've been reading she needs a spouse visa and was wondering if anyone had done this application before?  Is it relatively straight forward or is it best to use an immigration agency who have just quoted me the following;

Costs 

UKVI Visa Fee = £1,523 per applicant 

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) = £1872 per adult applicant 

Priority processing fee (optional) = £573 per applicant 

Sable International Agency Fee = Starting at $2500 AUD.

Thanks in advance!

There is absolutely no need to use an agent to do the UK spouse visa application.   It's not like the Australian one (where you have to supply exhaustive proof of relationship, so the risk of getting it wrong is high so an agent can be very useful).  

The most critical part of the application is the financial requirement.  

Processing is weeks, not months, so I wouldn't bother with the priority processing.  

You apply online, but do notice that (unless things have changed) there is a separate, paper form to be completed, called Appendix 2 (financial requirements form).  It catches a lot of people out because you don't get reminded about it when you submit the online form.  

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733638/VAF4A-Appendix2-08-18.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1039148/1.7_-_Financial_requirement.pdf

6 hours ago, LincolnH said:

Hi,

We are attempting to move back to the UK again after our 2020 move got cancelled due to Covid.  I am English and although both my children were born in Melbourne they have UK passports now.  My partner however is Australian and holds both Aus and Maltese passports.  From what i've been reading she needs a spouse visa and was wondering if anyone had done this application before?  Is it relatively straight forward or is it best to use an immigration agency who have just quoted me the following;

Costs 

UKVI Visa Fee = £1,523 per applicant 

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) = £1872 per adult applicant 

Priority processing fee (optional) = £573 per applicant 

Sable International Agency Fee = Starting at $2500 AUD.

Thanks in advance!

No idea on your questions but yay you are finally  coming back! Good luck! 🤗

On 25/01/2022 at 17:45, Marisawright said:

There is absolutely no need to use an agent to do the UK spouse visa application.   It's not like the Australian one (where you have to supply exhaustive proof of relationship, so the risk of getting it wrong is high so an agent can be very useful).  

The most critical part of the application is the financial requirement.  

Processing is weeks, not months, so I wouldn't bother with the priority processing.  

You apply online, but do notice that (unless things have changed) there is a separate, paper form to be completed, called Appendix 2 (financial requirements form).  It catches a lot of people out because you don't get reminded about it when you submit the online form.  

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733638/VAF4A-Appendix2-08-18.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1039148/1.7_-_Financial_requirement.pdf

Thanks do much for this that's very helpful!  Will sort it myself then didn't really fancy paying an immigration agent all that especially after spending thousands on various Oz visas over the years!

On 25/01/2022 at 18:26, Amber Snowball said:

No idea on your questions but yay you are finally  coming back! Good luck! 🤗

Yes very excited to be making the move back.  We are looking at it as a 2 year trial as its hard for my partner to commit as she has never lived there before then after that who knows but hoping it all works out well 🙂

3 hours ago, LincolnH said:

Yes very excited to be making the move back.  We are looking at it as a 2 year trial as its hard for my partner to commit as she has never lived there before then after that who knows but hoping it all works out well 🙂

Am I remembering correctly is it you thinking of Chester? If so Handbridge is nice and walkable to the city! 

We went through the process about 10 years ago , just before they introduced the upgraded financial requirements.

I remember  filling in an online form for an Spouse of a British Citizen ILR application.

Afterwards we had  to produced a document folder with our lives story  showing evidence of relationship history , accommodation in the UK, financial situation, which we had to sent to the processing center in Manila Philippines , also had to go the British Consulate in Brisbane ( was living in Mt Tamborine  at the time ) for finger printing and mug shot ...

Processing in Manila didn't take that long and i received my aussie passport with the visa

After arrival in the UK , i had to do the KOL test  ( now that was interesting ... ) another 2 years later i then got citizenship .... 

Long process ,  payment required every step along the way.

Things have probably changed , which you all the best

• 3 weeks later...

I have just applied for the visa for my wife, while it took a long time it was not impossible at all. 

And at the end you get a printed checklist of all the documents they need to approve the application. So all i need to do now it take these to my local UK visa centre in Melbourne for them to view and verify and that will be it. The visa is then sent to the local post office in UK when you are ready and you collect it and put it in the passport, really easy.