Movie to area outside of Melbourne… from Canada

Onward

On 24/01/2022 at 21:05, Marisawright said:

Be careful when talking to the people of Geelong, then.  Calling Geelong "outside Melbourne" is like calling Montreal "outside Ottawa", and might get you a biff on the nose.   Geelong is a city in its own right, the second largest in Victoria and something like the 10th (?) largest in the whole of Australia. 

Geelong used to have a reputation as a dull manufacturing town, but that has all changed in recent years.  As Melbourne has become more and more crowded and housing gets too expensive, young families are moving to Geelong.   It has all the amenities of a city but with cheaper housing and it even has a beach.  So you're lucky to have found a job there.  

Don't worry about spiders. Most of what you read about Australia refers to the tropical and sub-tropical regions.  The further South you come, the less numerous the spiders and insects   For instance, cockroaches are the bane of people's lives in Sydney, but they're far less common in Victoria, so I've never seen one in Melbourne in the 6 years I've been here.  

Redbacks are the only spiders you really need to worry about and they rarely venture indoors.  Huntsmen are huge (like wolf spiders) but even I can handle the rare Huntsman that ventures into the house, and I'm a terrible scaredy-cat where spiders are concerned.   They're not aggressive so they'll just sit there.  Go and get a big glass bowl and put it over the spider, then slide a piece of paper between the bowl and the wall so the spider is trapped inside - then dump the bowl in the garden and run away.  

Thanks!

How are the mosquitoes in Geelong? We have terrible mosquitoes where I live in Canada during the summer months.

1 hour ago, Onward said:

How are the mosquitoes in Geelong? We have terrible mosquitoes where I live in Canada during the summer months.

I've lived in Australia for over 30 years, and I am a mosquito magnet.   Melbourne is the first place where I haven't needed flyscreens on all the doors and windows.  I can even sit outside on a balmy summer evening and not get bitten.

Get used to calling them "mozzies"  - they are around, but not nearly as bad as they are further north.  

• Like 1

On 27/01/2022 at 20:19, Alan Collett said:

I commute to my office in Melbourne CBD from South Geelong by train 3 days a week ... it's really not a long way!

And there's free car parking at South G.

Best regards.

What are some of the nice areas to live in Geelong for a family? We like the idea of living close to the ocean. I’m married with young children. We’re going to be renting to start off with.  Our budget is flexible. Rental prices are listed “per week” which is unusual compared to Canada (per month is standard). We could end up spending anywhere from $600 to $900 depending on what’s available. Of course, coming from the frozen tundra, we want a house with a pool though I do realize they are very rare in Geelong.

I also have no clue about mortgage options until I obtain PR or if it’s even feasible before that?

43 minutes ago, Onward said:

What are some of the nice areas to live in Geelong for a family? We like the idea of living close to the ocean. I’m married with young children. We’re going to be renting to start off with.  Our budget is flexible. Rental prices are listed “per week” which is unusual compared to Canada (per month is standard). We could end up spending anywhere from $600 to $900 depending on what’s available. Of course, coming from the frozen tundra, we want a house with a pool though I do realize they are very rare in Geelong.

I also have no clue about mortgage options until I obtain PR or if it’s even feasible before that?

You could try ocean grove or torquay on the surf coast. I lived on the bellarine peninsula which was nice. Depends on where work is for travel times.

35 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

You could try ocean grove or torquay on the surf coast. I lived on the bellarine peninsula which was nice. Depends on where work is for travel times.

Distinct lack of rentals on the coast at Torquay/OG at the moment.

Tenants have been moved out because the owners want to live there.

Maybe look at Point Lonsdale - but it is a tad slow/sleepy.

Best regards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onward said:

I would contact Contact Whitfords, Hodges, and Buxtons for details of rental properties on their books.

Good luck!

• Like 1