Reciprocal Medicare - IVF

Jessh19

Hello 🙂

Me and my husband are on a subclass 500 and our visa runs out in February 2026 so quite a few years left! We have reciprocal Medicare. 

we have already been trying for a baby for 3 years and have just received the news that we may be unable to conceive naturally. I am obviously concerned about costs etc, and wondering if we would be eligible for bulk billed or whether it would be all or somewhat covered by Medicare?

has anyone else gone through something similar?

thanks!

Wouldn't think reciprocal Medicare would cover it, it's hardly necessary medical intervention. I think you would be liable for all costs. Your private health insurance may cover it if you've paid premiums for long enough and are beyond the waiting period.  As long as the policy doesn't exclude ivf specifically. 

• Like 2

As others have said this is unlikely to be covered under a reciprocal Medicare agrreement.

(Not sure what country you are from - i.e. which reciprocal agreeement you are covered by). In the UK only UK citizens/perm. residents are able to access funding for IVF, so as the UK wouldn't give IVF to AUS temp visa holder, therefore it follows that AUS wouldn't offer that to a tmep visa holder in Australia either.

(Assuming you are from the UK) Moving home isn't necessarily an option either, You need to be under 40 (in most health areas they have local rules that reduce this to under 35) and have been trying to conceive for 2+ years, this is further complicated by the requirement to have been residing in the UK for the last two years as well (which you haven't if you are in Australia). That said in about 50% of health regions in the UK, IVF is effectively stopped as the funding isn't there, and where it is the competition for places (health - BMI, smoke, alcohol) is great.

A cycle of IVF is £5,000 (so about $10,000 AUD) this is likely to be your best option.

I wish you luck in getting the outcome you hope for, but it might be costly.

A few other comments: State IVF funding isn't generally available to people who have already had kids (including you or partners past relationships) or single women (which isn't the case in your situation but might be useful for others to know)

• Like 1