143 or 173 subclasses?

SergK

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere in the forum. It just seems like there is no direct answer and is a bit confusing.

I am planning to apply for a visa to bring my mum permanently to Australia.

I was initially thinking of 143 and have already prepared the documents. However, I wonder if the 173 - 143 path would be any faster...

Could someone please advise if applying for 173 visa and then for 143 visa brings my mum to Australia sooner than applying for 143 straight away?

Is it true that these two visa classes are in the same priority queue and have the same processing times?

Thank you very much

28 minutes ago, SergK said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere in the forum. It just seems like there is no direct answer and is a bit confusing.

I am planning to apply for a visa to bring my mum permanently to Australia.

I was initially thinking of 143 and have already prepared the documents. However, I wonder if the 173 - 143 path would be any faster...

Could someone please advise if applying for 173 visa and then for 143 visa brings my mum to Australia sooner than applying for 143 straight away?

Is it true that these two visa classes are in the same priority queue and have the same processing times?

Thank you very much

Going the 173 then 143 route would actually take longer and cost you more! 173 and 143 are in the same queue which is processed by date order. So it would take the same time for both. Then You would have to apply for 143 if you got 173 granted so that’s a further wait. It also costs more as you have two lots of application fees. Any application today is likely to take a very long time! There’s  over 65,000 already waiting in the queue and only 3600 granted per year so 65000 divided by 3600 means approx 18 years!!

You can see the numbers here https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-updated/

Edited by LindaH27

28 minutes ago, SergK said:

Thank you Marisa and Linda,
That is so discouraging... ((

It's only likely to get harder, too.  The bottom line is that Australia does not want elderly parents coming into the country, because old people cost a great deal of money in medical care and aged care.  That's why the parent visas are so expensive, because the fee is meant to cover that cost.  However the government did its research and discovered it's costing them at least three times as much.   

If they were honest, they would either triple the fee or abolish the visa, but instead they are just on a go-slow.   They don't even fill the quota each year, so the list just keeps getting longer and longer.