Grandparents trying to find lost documentation

Theoneandonly

Hello I'm trying to help my grandparents attain photo IDs or possibly Australian citizenship. They are both over 65 and have been Australian permanent residences for over 50 years. I am not sure of what documentation they have previously received upon entering Australia as they have lost everything, they arrived here from England in 1971 by ship and haven't left since. They are pensioners and have Medicare cards, the only other documentation they have is their proof of arrival to Australia we have attained from the Archives, they also have their birth certificates. We tried to get photo ID from Services Australia but we couldn't as we are told they need a DFTTA (proof of travel document) such as passport or other travel document that they don't have anymore as it was lost and gone a long time ago. If someone would please guide us in the right direction to help us optain the correct documentation we would greatly appreciate it,

Thanks

Can they apply to renew their British passports?  They dont need old passports to do that, although it is easier if they do have them.  They have their birth certificates so it should be fairly straightforward - apply for a renewal not a new passport.  Did they get Australian citizenship?  They would know if they had because you have to go to a ceremony and get your certificate.  They could probably apply for Australian citizenship but, honestly, renewing a passport is going to be quicker.

I have thought of that. They don't have citizenships only permanent residency, they were a little worried about money as I think applying for passports for the both of them might be expensive, whereas citizenships is only $35 for them on a pension, but if they can't get citizenship without it then that might be only only option unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Theoneandonly said:

I have thought of that. They don't have citizenships only permanent residency, they were a little worried about money as I think applying for passports for the both of them might be expensive, whereas citizenships is only $35 for them on a pension, but if they can't get citizenship without it then that might be only only option unfortunately. 

An Australian passport is going to be a whole lot more expensive than a UK one and it sounds like they will need a passport of some description.  Maybe you could treat them to a new passport as a Christmas present.  It will be much quicker - not the year long + wait for citizenship.  They'll probably need that a a form of photographic identification for the citizenship process anyway

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Theoneandonly said:

What is motivating them to get the photo ID/citizenship?