Working for an Australian company in the UK

nikki09876

Hi - I'm wondering if anyone can help...

I am a UK citizen and have been living in Australia for the last 3 years, and have been working for the same Aussie company for 2 of those years. 

I've decided to move back to the UK for personal reasons and my employer has kindly offered to keep me on, either part-time, as a casual worker, or as a contractor.

I'd be happy to work up to 15 hours per week, but the work flow might be a bit up and down which is why I was thinking casual or contracting might be better.

Can anyone advise on the benefits / implications of working part-time v casual v contracting? (Aside from the point about hours and job stability which I'm comfortable with).

I'm specifically wondering how each option would work in terms of tax and superannuation (especially as I am moving back to the UK and not sure if I will actually return to Aus).

There seems to be info online about working for a UK company in Australia, but not much info the other way around!

If anyone can give any advice, it'd be much appreciated! Cheers 

I know it's a cost, but I think your best bet would be to book a consultation with someone who understands both UK and Australian tax, like @Alan Collett.   

We heard a horror story recently, where someone had moved from UK to Australia but his British employer kept him on.   He trusted his employer to set things up the best way possible.  He ended up losing about half his pay in tax!  

• Like 1