Bridging visa granted but now overseas job offer!

Phoebe147

Hi all

We have successfully got my partners bridging visa as part of step 1 of partner visa in Australia. My partner has just been offered a job in Singapore (for a 3 year contract) we want to consider and wonder what this means for our application? Is it now void? Would we need to reapply again if returned after 3 years?

So disappointing to have gone through this all and the cost! 

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

His application isn’t “void” just because he has been offered a job overseas, but you haven’t really given enough information to answer sensibly.
Assuming he holds a BVA for an onshore partner visa, then he will need to apply for a BVB. Clearly the travel restrictions will be an issue in the short/medium term, as he will need to be in/back in Australia for an 820 grant. 

Thank you Paul. My husband has a 820 visa approved onshore. We would have to leave early next year (with a BVB) and from what i am reading and your comments, seems that the risk we run is coming back to Australia to progress the next stage of his visa to keep it 'live'/ 'active' so to speak. We need to return to live in Australia in 3 years time. So would hate to have to reapply and risk all our investment. Thanks for your time to reply.  

27 minutes ago, Phoebe147 said:

Thank you Paul. My husband has a 820 visa approved onshore. We would have to leave early next year (with a BVB) and from what i am reading and your comments, seems that the risk we run is coming back to Australia to progress the next stage of his visa to keep it 'live'/ 'active' so to speak. 

Actually, Paul said "you haven't given enough information to answer sensibly".  He then just gives a general comment.  For something as important as this, you'd be wise to book a consultation with him or another agent to get proper professional advice.

I'm not an expert, but the problem will be, will Immigration grant a 3-year BVB?   I have no idea if they'd even consider such a thing.  If they grant a shorter period and he doesn't return before the BVB expires, then he loses his right to return to Australia - and if he can't return to Australian then the 801 can't be granted. 

Edited by Marisawright

22 minutes ago, Phoebe147 said:

Thank you Paul. My husband has a 820 visa approved onshore. We would have to leave early next year (with a BVB) and from what i am reading and your comments, seems that the risk we run is coming back to Australia to progress the next stage of his visa to keep it 'live'/ 'active' so to speak. We need to return to live in Australia in 3 years time. So would hate to have to reapply and risk all our investment. Thanks for your time to reply.  

I’m confused has the 820 been granted or is he on a BVB pending the grant. Can’t have both.

7 hours ago, Phoebe147 said:

Sorry it is my fault for not being clear. We have a 820 visa. We are considering taking a job abroad for next 2-3 years unexpectedly and want to know what the consequences of that will be and impact on 820 visa. 

Your initial post said he held a bridging visa … an 820 is not a bridging visa, it’s a substantive temporary visa, which is a very different thing. 

You should be fine, based on what you have written but that is a general comment not specific advice. 

• Like 1