Bridge Visa B on 864 contributory parents visa

Keepsim

Hi All

I am looking for advice and information about the normal duration of Bridge visa B.

If we have applied for 864 contributory parents visa, then apply bridge visa A and when parents want to travel outside of the australia we apply for bridge visa B then 

1. On what basis immigration officer decide the duration of bridge visa B ? 

2. Can we request the duration of bridge visa B , lets say 6 months or 12 month, reason being we need to visit other country to wrap up things like property or parents decide to visit another kid in another country. Will the justification matters for the duration?

3. What if they could not return within expiry date of bridge visa B? Whats the impact and how can they return back ? 

4. If there was a way to come back again, then will failure to come back in time first time will have any impact on future bridge visa b application?

5. Highly

Thanks in advance Sir/Mam.

Sorry dont know why 5th question got cut out

5. Highly unlikely but thought to ask, if person will not be allowed to return back to Australia then what happens to application for 864 ? They cancel or process as normal and person will have to stamp offshore?

When they apply for the Bridging Visa B, they must state the reason for their travel and how much time they would like.   However the department decides how much time to give them.  

If they do not return within the expiry date, then they are in breach of their visa conditions.  They have no right to return to Australia. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

When they apply for the Bridging Visa B, they must state the reason for their travel and how much time they would like.   However the department decides how much time to give them.  

If they do not return within the expiry date, then they are in breach of their visa conditions.  They have no right to return to Australia. 

Thank you, so what does it mean for the future. Will they need to apply for another ‘type’ of visa OR are you suggesting they cannot ever return ?

32 minutes ago, Keepsim said:

Thank you, so what does it mean for the future. Will they need to apply for another ‘type’ of visa OR are you suggesting they cannot ever return ?

Generally speaking, if you get a visa and then break the rules for that visa - even a bridging visa - it goes on your record and may count against you if you apply for another visa.  However I have no idea whether this would be seen as a serious breach or not. I am not an expert.  I think you need to pay a good agent to advise you properly.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Generally speaking, if you get a visa and then break the rules for that visa - even a bridging visa - it goes on your record and may count against you if you apply for another visa.  However I have no idea whether this would be seen as a serious breach or not. I am not an expert.  I think you need to pay a good agent to advise you properly.

I have to disagree here. Allowing a bridging visa to expire is not breaking any rules or the visa conditions, it is just allowing a visa (like any other) to expire. The issue is that, if still offshore, the holder will need to apply for a new visa in order to allow them to return to Australia. 

On 25/08/2021 at 15:25, paulhand said:

I have to disagree here. Allowing a bridging visa to expire is not breaking any rules or the visa conditions, it is just allowing a visa (like any other) to expire. The issue is that, if still offshore, the holder will need to apply for a new visa in order to allow them to return to Australia. 

Thank you, they couldn’t have made it more complex, if BVA expire and holder is offshore , which visa can they apply to turn back ? Does this scenario mentioned on immi website ?

16 minutes ago, Keepsim said:

Thank you, they couldn’t have made it more complex, if BVA expire and holder is offshore , which visa can they apply to turn back ? Does this scenario mentioned on immi website ?

If this is still unclear, I suggest you have a consultation with an RMA who can address all your specific circumstances and concerns. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keepsim said:

You should be grateful that it's possible to get a BVA at all.  Your parents have no right to live in Australia because they do not have a proper visa yet, and yet they are allowed to stay in the country indefinitely on the BVA.  Yes, there are restrictions.  If having a BVA gave you as much freedom and rights as a proper visa, Australia would be swamped. 

If the restrictions are too annoying for them, maybe they should go back to their home country and wait there instead.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2021 at 23:41, Marisawright said:

You should be grateful that it's possible to get a BVA at all.  Your parents have no right to live in Australia because they do not have a proper visa yet, and yet they are allowed to stay in the country indefinitely on the BVA.  Yes, there are restrictions.  If having a BVA gave you as much freedom and rights as a proper visa, Australia would be swamped. 

If the restrictions are too annoying for them, maybe they should go back to their home country and wait there instead.

Thank you.

With all due respect, they are not asylum seekers which is what the tone of your response is, so if they are allowing onshore application and then allowing options to travel out, then all that is required is to make it more flexible in terms of BVB expiry date.

Infact, I actually think offshore application might be better off for us as long the processing time are not massively different.

Once again thank you for your time.

4 hours ago, Keepsim said:

Thank you.

With all due respect, they are not asylum seekers which is what the tone of your response is, so if they are allowing onshore application and then allowing options to travel out, then all that is required is to make it more flexible in terms of BVB expiry date

I did not think they were asylum seekers.  What they are doing is perfectly legal, but a lot of Australians object to the fact that anyone can come to Australia, apply onshore and then settle in the country for years even though they have no substantive visa.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I did not think they were asylum seekers.  What they are doing is perfectly legal, but a lot of Australians object to the fact that anyone can come to Australia, apply onshore and then settle in the country for years even though they have no substantive visa.  

And then whinge when things don't go their way and maybe they have to leave!

• Like 5

On 25/08/2021 at 20:25, Keepsim said:

Hi All

I am looking for advice and information about the normal duration of Bridge visa B.

If we have applied for 864 contributory parents visa, then apply bridge visa A and when parents want to travel outside of the australia we apply for bridge visa B then 

1. On what basis immigration officer decide the duration of bridge visa B ? 

2. Can we request the duration of bridge visa B , lets say 6 months or 12 month, reason being we need to visit other country to wrap up things like property or parents decide to visit another kid in another country. Will the justification matters for the duration?

3. What if they could not return within expiry date of bridge visa B? Whats the impact and how can they return back ? 

4. If there was a way to come back again, then will failure to come back in time first time will have any impact on future bridge visa b application?

5. Highly

Thanks in advance Sir/Mam.

1. The need to travel. Generally quite accommodating but much more difficult during COVID. 

2. Reason for travel and to some degree, visa applied for.

3. The bridging visa is no longer valid and they need to apply for another visa to get back to Australia.

4. They cannot apply for a new BVB while outside of Australia.

5. Will be processed as normal and when ready to finalise will send a letter stating that it cannot be finalised as the applicant needs to be in Australia (unless it was lodged before 24/03/2021).

• Like 1