work/travel visa

WendyW1964

I live in the UK and I'm struggling to find an email address to ask a question about medical requirements for a holiday/work annual visa.  I have a specifics question that I can not find any answers to.  Please if you know a migration agent or know where I can forward a question to would you let me know.

My daughter needs to have counselling for depression which may involve antidepressants and she has been told if she does this it will stop her application for an Australian visa.  She finishes Uni this year and has plans to travel around Australia touring / working, so she doesn't want any mental health on her GP record.

Any advice would be appreciated.

16 minutes ago, WendyW1964 said:

I live in the UK and I'm struggling to find an email address to ask a question about medical requirements for a holiday/work annual visa.  I have a specifics question that I can not find any answers to.  Please if you know a migration agent or know where I can forward a question to would you let me know.

My daughter needs to have counselling for depression which may involve antidepressants and she has been told if she does this it will stop her application for an Australian visa.  She finishes Uni this year and has plans to travel around Australia touring / working, so she doesn't want any mental health on her GP record.

@WendyW1964, your question has already been answered on your previous post. There is no medical for a Working Holiday Visa.   Even if she were applying for a more permanent visa, it's very unlikely that depression would be an issue.

47 minutes ago, WendyW1964 said:

Any advice would be appreciated.

There is no medical for that visa. Her biggest problem will be no temporary visas are being issued right now and probably won’t be this year.  She is likely to need to wait sometime before she can embark on such travels.

There is a question on the form that she'll fill in, asking if she plans to seek treatment in Australia.  What treatment she's had while in the UK isn't relevant.  They will only be interested in whether she'll need to seek treatment while she's in Australia.  By then, she may be fine (as Tulip1 says, it wont be till next year at the earliest).

Edited by Marisawright

On another note - if your daughter is still needing counselling when she's travelling, it might be worth waiting until she feels she can have the years gap in sessions.  Any counselling/psychology here isn't free and can run into a $100 a session (this wouldn't be covered by any reciprocal arrangement).  Coming to Aus on a WHV in itself can be quite daunting.  I've had 2 nieces and 1 nephew do it.  One niece started her adventure with us for a week and moved onto Sydney, she found being away from home/with strangers difficult and went home after 2 weeks.  My nephew was here for 5 months spending a couple of weeks with us and doing 3 months on a cattle station - he went home after 4 because he felt a bit isolated once he'd got into a job and the 'backpacking' part had ended.  My other niece has loved it and is still here.  Even on a WHV it can be a bit daunting leaving family/friends and support networks behind and if you're already a little vulnerable to depression it may add to it.  

• Like 3