Emirates suspends all flights to Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne

Wanderer Returns

I'm afraid there's more bad news for new migrants, and stranded Aussies trying to return to Australia - unless you're a professional tennis player, of course!

Emirates have announced that flights to and from Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne will stop “until further notice” due to “operational reasons”. They have advised their last flights in and out of each city are as follows:

- Dubai-Brisbane (EK430), 16 January
- Brisbane-Dubai (EK431), 17 January
- Dubai-Sydney (EK414), 18 January
- Sydney-Dubai (EK415), 19 January
- Dubai-Melbourne (EK408), 19 January
- Melbourne-Dubai (EK409), 20 January

"Customers holding tickets with final destinations Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will not be accepted for travel at their point of origin after the completion of the above flights," the airline said in a statement on its website. Contact the airline or your travel agent for a refund.

18 hours ago, Thisforumisalifesaver said:

Just read on the news that "Emirates to resume flights to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane less than a week after cancelling services during coronavirus".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-22/emirates-resumes-flights-to-australia/13080484

Phew!!

Gload to hear it.  Not that surprised as was speaking to a friend who works in Dubai Airport, and he said it was likely to be short lived as Qatar were taking all the bookings!

• Like 1

Strikes me as a big opportunity for Qatar here - if they invest strongly in a few routes and treat people well they are going to become the go to airline for a lot of people. Certainly when we have flown with them I've been fairly impressed - the wine is always better quality than Emirates! People will quickly forget the incident with the ladies being mistreated (quite an understatement) and will vote with their feet/dollars.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

Strikes me as a big opportunity for Qatar here - if they invest strongly in a few routes and treat people well they are going to become the go to airline for a lot of people. Certainly when we have flown with them I've been fairly impressed - the wine is always better quality than Emirates! People will quickly forget the incident with the ladies being mistreated (quite an understatement) and will vote with their feet/dollars.

Qatar Airways got my wife here safely last June, so they'll be getting our future business - as long as they stay competitive. I'd agree that out of all the gulf airlines they seem to provide the best experience (recent events excepted). Apparently, since I posted this Emirates have made a U-turn on that decision, so perhaps they have come to the same conclusion as you did.